MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro DIY whats a good starting point???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Euro DIY whats a good starting point???
transferpoint
What would be a good noob DIY project.

I'd like to learn but I don't want to get in over my head too fast.

Thanks!
Roycie Roller
To begin with, i'd recommend some of Ian Fritz' kits from Bridechamber
eg. Double Well Chaos, Jerkster Chaos, 5pulser.

http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/PCBs.html

They are small pcb's, they'll fit easily behind a small panel, & they run off +/-12v (as do all of Ian's circuits).
Just mention to Scott at Bridechamber that you have a +/-12v psu, & he'll make sure the kits have the right parts (they usually assume the builder is using +/-15v, & have been adjusted accordingly).

One thing, though, is the pcb's don't have a footprint for the normal IDC header found on Euro modules, so you will need to work around that (not difficult, you'll just need to make a cable for it with an IDC header on one end, and either bare GND,+ & - wires on the other, or an MTA header).
I think Doepfer has a diagram on their DIY page which shows the wiring makeup of ribbon cable, specifically for that purpose.

Ian has all the schematics on his website & easy to follow instructions.

http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/index.htm
transferpoint
Thanks

I've been looking at the bridechamber website... so although these are all designed for motm, a simple switch of the power cable will make it euro compatible?
consumed
awesome beginner project: fonik's attenuverting mixer.

http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page29.html

supremely useful, relatively simple, and you cant really buy anything like it at the moment.
it is also fully portable between 15v and 12v, and has both mta.156 pads (motm/blacet/etc) and euro pads for power.
transferpoint
I'll check it out. Thanks consumed
spbaker
don't forget the excellent elby kits, the best thing is that they come with panels, not ver pretty but EXCELLENT modules! SlayerBadger!

http://elby-designs.com
transferpoint
I think I'll do an elby design one for starters but... I think I like the look of the YuSynth Saw Animator, would that be a difficult module to do?

Its motm format right? But it could be done with euro power ribbon?
Waz
CGS Euro Steiner filter is a GREAT start. Easy to build, inexpensive and a very good module in the end.
transferpoint
thanks, I'll check it out.
transferpoint
Do the CGS modules come with Panels?
NV
transferpoint wrote:
Thanks

I've been looking at the bridechamber website... so although these are all designed for motm, a simple switch of the power cable will make it euro compatible?

Not all of the projects on the Bridechamber site are compatible with euro voltages (+/-12V rather than +/-15V). Some of the oscillators wouldn't work for example. If you follow the links to the various design pages you should be able to figure out whether or not something will work with +/-12V.

For a first DIY project, Ian Fritz' 5Pulser is about as simple as modules get. The PCB only has about 40 components, most of which are resistors, and there aren't too many things to wire up. Plus it yields a very interesting waveshaper in a very small space. I'll also second the suggestion of fonik's attenuverting mixer. It's a relatively simple build yet yields a module that has a great deal of capability.

Another alternative would be to build a pedal from Build Your Own Clone. Their kits have detailed instructions for both the hows and whys, all the parts you need, and are very small and quick things to piece together. If you enjoy building one of those then you'll have a solid idea of where to proceed. Plus if you wanted to you could always put it behind a euro panel rather than a pedal and fit it with some attenuators to make it more "modular-ized."
transferpoint
so if Its +/-12V its euro compatible. cool.

I tried finding a place to buy foniks attenuverting mixer kit but didn't see where to buy it from his website.
Waz
transferpoint wrote:
Do the CGS modules come with Panels?

no. you need to make your own.
bubblesound
Waz wrote:
CGS Euro Steiner filter is a GREAT start. Easy to build, inexpensive and a very good module in the end.

+1 on that. the CGS Steiner was the first thing i built on a bread board that worked. i love the sound of these. even rougher and dirtier than the Livewire Frequensteiner.
transferpoint
thanks guys... ok. I'll try the steiner filter first.

Any resources available on how to make my own panels? Can I just use a blind panel or do I have to get one from somewhere specific?
transferpoint
Ordered my CGS Euro Steiner kit, PCB and hardware!
transferpoint
@ Bubblesound... how many HP should my panel design be?
Soy Sos
Not quite DIY. Super easy, inexpensive and useful.
Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer
http://www.flightofharmony.com/pbBarebones.html
transferpoint
Yeah, I was looking at that. I think I'd be more interested in a dual plague bearer kit. That's not available is it?
Soy Sos
Dual PB kit is easy.......just get 2!

Also the Bug Brand Workshop Osc Machine. Not Euro, but I use it with my
modular all the time and a really fun build. Sold out at the moment.
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14& products_id=34
spbaker
the euro elby cgs panther (whew) modules all can come with panels, but the other nonpanther-straight from CGS boards don't.
Waz

Here's the design I made with the help of panda3oy. It's 3.185" x 5.059"
e-grad
For beginners I'd always recommend Blacet:

- well documented kits
- come with all parts
- awsome modules
- astonishingly cheap
- John Blacet is very helpful

BTW the MiniWave is plain great and quite easy to build!

EDIT: Blacet is Frac not Euro of course. I'm off to school now. We learn reading today and obviously I should not miss it. Sorry.
krisp14u
the Classic VCA and ARP Ring modulator from Oakley are both ready to roll with Euro

In both size and power applause Overdrive and ADSR coming soon
transferpoint
I'll do a classic VCA soon as well, I've been wanting one of those!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2