MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

control voltage turntable
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author control voltage turntable
HueMonContact

This is the first of many experiments with my analog modular synth controlled by a CD turntable.
The CD turntable has a cd with control voltage tracks burned on it that i use to manually control my synthesizer with. The headphone output is going into the Noisering clock in... the NR clock out is multed to the RCD and uStep to control my 6u case. Sorry for the camera mic audio...
I'll post more patches when time permits.

Thanks for watching/listening.
~Shiro
ersatzplanet
I imagine any DJ software that plays back a file can play a file that is non-audio into a Silent Way setup. Neat trick! You could make files with sequences and LFO doodles and "scratch" them for sure.
Paranormal Patroler
Really clever!
CF3
Thats pretty fuckin cool for real applause
mystico
Very cool. 8_)
LeFreq
applause
dj_bluefalcon
Too awesome! Congrats on this!

NEED MOAR CV ON EVERYTHING
renasent
Ingenious! Nice lateral thinking. Imagine if something could be made that sent positive voltages on the forward rotation, negative on the reverse.

Just add Phonogene for the birth of modular turntablism SlayerBadger!
jonah
Did you have to search to find decks that were DC coupled or remove capacitors?

I wonder if DC coupling is normal for CD turntables and other digital turntables?
HueMonContact
Thanks a lot for all the good feedback!

renasent wrote:
Ingenious! Nice lateral thinking. Imagine if something could be made that sent positive voltages on the forward rotation, negative on the reverse.

Just add Phonogene for the birth of modular turntablism SlayerBadger!

I would absolutely love to have positive voltages on the forward rotation, negative on the reverse. I could utilize my scratch skills from my turntablist days to the fullest.
I was totally thinking of getting a phonogene to really make this experiment interesting!

@jonah I don't think the CD Turntable is DC coupled. The CV signal is coming out of the headphone output going into the clock in of the noise Ring to get things going.

@ersatzplanet I'm Sarato and Silent way would get some pretty cool results! Then I could start using my Technics 1200 turntables with the modular... fun!

I have a few more experiments to try out this weekend.
Pdm1138
Wow eek! That's great. Hmmm. now you've got me thinking about how I can use my 1200s to trigger things. hmmm.....
richard
Great idea. Let's make instruments!
cephalopod
Very cool!

HueMonContact wrote:
I have a few more experiments to try out this weekend.

Would love to see what else you come up with. It would be cool to see this with LFO's and other types of CV on a CD.
weinglas
Wonderful idea Shiro we're not worthy

When i read the thread title i thought you were talking about this lol
xpando
awesome man. im a turntablist. im starting to build an Erthenvar Lunchbox with a Phonogene and footswitch to use as a modular looper with a 1200 and a mixer. Serato isnt really my thing but if it'll allow me to scratch patches on my modular or if i can use my 1200 to control modulation, ect then i'd probably use it all the time.
HueMonContact
weinglas wrote:
Wonderful idea Shiro we're not worthy

When i read the thread title i thought you were talking about this lol

Haha not yet... gieskes designs are genius! I want to dedicate a Lunchbox for a fun noise machine.

@xpando cool to see another turntablist getting into modular synths...
I'm surprised more turntablist don't see a common thread that links the art of turntablism with modular synthesis and musique concrète
I did some more experiments with the cd turntable I'll post video here soon. I'm also getting ready to release a vinyl project and i'm going to have a few minutes of CV as the last track on each side so people with turntables can get in on the fun without the use of a computer.
renasent
I wish I could say I'm a tuntablist too. I entered the DMC competitions in the UK in the late eighties, so was a turntablist before there was such a term. Ended up getting more and more into techno and didn't advance any more with juggling n all that.

My skills are wicked... if you squint your eyes (& ears) and pretend its 1988

hihi

It could be another interesting way to send control voltages in the modular. I for one, am much better at scratching than I ever will be at playing the keyboard.
xpando
HueMonContact you figure you would see some modular synths in dj/producer studios but it doesnt seem to be common. kinda strange considering most turntablist are all about sampling from an analog source and vintage drum machines and moogs and theres plenty of the new moog stuff in alot of dj/producer studios around here in the US. maybe in europe its different. maybe they've gotten into modulars. their turntablist scene is pretty creative right now. maybe alot of dj's will pick up the MS20 reissue and get into modulars. if more of them knew you could recreate the 808 with a row of modules i bet they'd be interested. on a side note, danny breaks used a pic of his (or Droppin Science studios, not sure) AS modular on one of his album covers and that was back in like 2000.

renasent ha.. yea, same. im much more comfortable on a turntable than a keyboard.
Junk Rhythm
Whoa, I missed this thread. Awesome use of technology! I'll have to try this out with Traktor and a Kontrol S2.
HueMonContact
Junk Rhythm wrote:
Whoa, I missed this thread. Awesome use of technology! I'll have to try this out with Traktor and a Kontrol S2.

I think Traktor and a Kontrol S2 would yield some cool results!

Post what you come up with.
Junk Rhythm
I'll take a whack at it tonight!
xpando
Enjoy the show!
DanPacific
Nice one! Reminds me of a clip I stumbled upon last week.

Madchiller
The serato ableton bridge with silent way could get pretty nuts I suppose. Interesting.
Junk Rhythm
Great find DanPacific!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2