MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filthy Filtre as a VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Filthy Filtre as a VCO
Kwote
love it. definately gonna tide me over til i get my 2nd VCO.

i was pathetically sleepin on this application. it tracks well. just wish i could get it to sync better with my VCO but no big woop. smile
Muff Wiggler
heheh yep it does smile you'll find most decent ones do

now ... have you tried getting your MicroLFO to track? you can almost fool yourself into thinking you can. i could get it to track 3 notes, but it was tough to tune. it's fun to try
thermionicjunky
Perhaps if you mult the sine output from the filter and send one version to some kind of preamp, maybe the I/O, and clip it. If it squares up enough, you may be able to sync your VCO to the filter.
consumed
thermionicjunky wrote:
Perhaps if you mult the sine output from the filter and send one version to some kind of preamp, maybe the I/O, and clip it. If it squares up enough, you may be able to sync your VCO to the filter.


sounds like a job perfectly suited for the window comparator!
thermionicjunky
True, that's a better solution. The VCO should have no trouble syncing to perfectly formed pulses. This is one of the reasons why I want the Dotcom Clipper/Rectifier. It opens up a new universe when you can sync to anything.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
heheh yep it does smile you'll find most decent ones do

now ... have you tried getting your MicroLFO to track? you can almost fool yourself into thinking you can. i could get it to track 3 notes, but it was tough to tune. it's fun to try


nope haven't, but it's on my mind. i'll pop the 1v out to the rate in tonight and see how it goes.

i did try tracking with the stonzphase. not so hot but adds some thickness in the lower ranges.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:
Perhaps if you mult the sine output from the filter and send one version to some kind of preamp, maybe the I/O, and clip it. If it squares up enough, you may be able to sync your VCO to the filter.


sounds like a job perfectly suited for the window comparator!


awesome. i'm actually planning on getting the window comp soon enough so i'll definately keep that tip in mind.
Kwote
anyways, this was something i had thought about doing before but just never got around to it til now.

on another note i've been getting deeper into the ARP 2600 pdf by Sam Ecoff and it mentioned using the filter as a mixer.

the obvious was already tried by me once getting the 3p(sending multiple waveforms in and getting multiple outs). but sending cv into it didn't occur to me at all til I read Sam's tip. that shit is fresh.

i'm falling deeper in love with the modular world. so many possibilities. so much multiplicity in every module.
Kwote
thermionicjunky wrote:
Perhaps if you mult the sine output from the filter and send one version to some kind of preamp, maybe the I/O, and clip it. If it squares up enough, you may be able to sync your VCO to the filter.


just tried your idea out. worked like a charm. i used the soundcard oszilloscope to make sure it was squared up enough.

cheers gee!
thermionicjunky
Beautiful. I think that I discovered that one while converting my theremin pitch to a CV to control a VCO. It was tracking pretty well but I wanted it closer. But I think I was using soft-sync, so I didn't want it too close. Anyway, isn't it wonderful to have a modular? Even a small one. You can figure out trickier shit when you don't quite have the modules for what you're doing. I just have to remember the pioneers and the current manufacturers and be grateful (not just Buchla and Moog, but Edgard Varese, Raymond Scott, Lev Termen, the people that made things happen in spite of the world around them).
Kwote
thermionicjunky wrote:
Beautiful. I think that I discovered that one while converting my theremin pitch to a CV to control a VCO. It was tracking pretty well but I wanted it closer. But I think I was using soft-sync, so I didn't want it too close. Anyway, isn't it wonderful to have a modular? Even a small one. You can figure out trickier shit when you don't quite have the modules for what you're doing. I just have to remember the pioneers and the current manufacturers and be grateful (not just Buchla and Moog, but Edgard Varese, Raymond Scott, Lev Termen, the people that made things happen in spite of the world around them).


yes! i was actually thinking about the bittersweetness of having a large system in the future(as i know i will). there's just so many things i could potentially bypass if i had more task specific modules.

but on the otherhand if creative enough a large modular will prove to be so extreme i can't fathom it. just gotta make sure i don't rely too heavily on simple Eastcoast configurations.

i was going through Sam Ecoff's ARP 2600 book last night and realizing what modules would help to pull off all the examples throughout. I need 7.

2 more VCO's, an Improbability Drive for Noise & S/H, an exponential VCA(gonna get Blacet's Quad kit), another EG, Oakley's frac Dual Slope and a sequencer(probably the HEXZONE).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group