MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2600 clone - Two Thousand Six Hundred (TTSH)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 166, 167, 168  Next [all]
Author 2600 clone - Two Thousand Six Hundred (TTSH)
Rex Coil 7
astroschnautzer wrote:
Btw, any even rough cost estimate for this project?
I was lurking in the original thread before ... it seems like it will be roughly $1k plus your time (after all it is a DIY project). I think I remember hearing zthee say that the mouser package he'd set up had about $300 worth of components in it but there was some things that needed to be added.

Then you have to add the cost of the PCB itself, as well as the control panel, the cab, and so on. I'm guessing around $1500 .. .which is only a couple hundred more than a L'il Phatty to put some context on this.

I'm sure Muffwiggler member "zthee" will have a more accurate presentation of projected cost. I'm just an interested lurker, I owned an ARP 2600 in the 80's ... totally pristine unit .... sold it for ... ready? ... $350. They sell for anywhere from $8,000 to $10,000 these days .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-2600-w-3604-Keyboard-/271132154409?pt=Keyb oards_MIDI&hash=item3f20bc5a29#ht_4644wt_1030

And some of them are pretty crappy!
Rex Coil 7
If this plays out properly, zthee may become to ARP enthusaists what Roger Arrick has become to Moog modular enthusiasts.

Said another way zthee could become the "dot com" of ARP modulars/semi-modulars.

GO zthee, GO!

ZTHEE SlayerBadger! ZTHEE SlayerBadger! ZTHEE SlayerBadger! ZTHEE SlayerBadger! ZTHEE SlayerBadger! ZTHEE SlayerBadger! .................................
zthee
southphillysynths wrote:
When you say pre-built, how much will already be done?


Prewired, not prebuilt. On the original you had to wire all the outputs/inputs to the respective jacks. Now the jacks are board mounted and the signals go where they should.

So you'll get a PCB, a panel from me and bags of components from some place else. Nothing will be pre soldered!
Microscopial
Did somebody say case w00t
loydb
If you'll send me the dimensions of the case, I'll take a look at it. I now have access to a decent sized CNC shopbot via AS220 Labs, so it might be possible to cut the whole thing out, drill it for connectors, and then ship it flat as a kit to be assembled (DIY Ikea essentially). Flat shipping will be *much* cheaper and have a *much* better chance of arriving alive.

I don't think I'd have any interest in shipping actual assembled cases, the packing is a nightmare.

If nothing else, I could at least generate and share the CNC files.
astroschnautzer
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:
Btw, any even rough cost estimate for this project?
I was lurking in the original thread before ... it seems like it will be roughly $1k plus your time (after all it is a DIY project). I think I remember hearing zthee say that the mouser package he'd set up had about $300 worth of components in it but there was some things that needed to be added.

Then you have to add the cost of the PCB itself, as well as the control panel, the cab, and so on. I'm guessing around $1500 .. .which is only a couple hundred more than a L'il Phatty to put some context on this.

I'm sure Muffwiggler member "zthee" will have a more accurate presentation of projected cost. I'm just an interested lurker, I owned an ARP 2600 in the 80's ... totally pristine unit .... sold it for ... ready? ... $350. They sell for anywhere from $8,000 to $10,000 these days .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-2600-w-3604-Keyboard-/271132154409?pt=Keyb oards_MIDI&hash=item3f20bc5a29#ht_4644wt_1030

And some of them are pretty crappy!
that sounds very reasonable
Microscopial
Sorry dudes if you do need a case it will only be built by me not flat packed. Sounds like a great idea though for flat packed stuff, what wood options will you offer
loydb
Microscopial wrote:
Sorry dudes if you do need a case it will only be built by me not flat packed. Sounds like a great idea though for flat packed stuff, what wood options will you offer


I didn't even realize you were doing finished cases, props, I hate shipping casework. As far as wood, I'd want to see the dimensions first, and I'd want to see how this Shopbot treats good plywood. If you could get 2 cases out of a sheet for 4'x8' 3/4" walnut plywood, that would be ideal. It would be easy enough to rip some thin walnut strips to be used to cover the plywood endgrain.

If the plywood tears out too much, then the sky becomes the limit on what woods could be used, and what the narrowest width I could get away with without having to do a lot of edge joining. What is the depth going to be?
mOBiTh
one of my mates has a 2600 (the original wooden cased one) plus an enhanced keyboard.

i'm seriously considering threatening to show his wife the photos of his stag do and blackmailing it off him hihi
loydb
mOBiTh wrote:
i'm seriously considering threatening to show his wife the photos of his stag do and blackmailing it off him hihi


A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Tell him it's just business.
valis
fantastic project. It's great to see your creations and art, zthee I'm going to try my hardest not to sign up for this project. I have way too many projects. Still...

Best of luck. w00t
mOBiTh
im going to build at least two
mckenic
Microscopial wrote:
Did somebody say case w00t


For this on our side of the pond - I'll want one please Ross!!!

thumbs up
rasseru
MY ASS IS BLEEDING


got the case covered. following this like a hawk
chaosium
Specific case dimensions to provide a local shop would be awesome.
Peake
What's all this then eek! SlayerBadger!
Luap
Wait! I've not finished my VCS3 clone yet!
hihi
(I just might be very interested still though!)
leeski
i need another me so lets clone applause
decaying.sine
What the what? This is fun!
oberkorn
Quote:
Did somebody say case
you said it
moog55
zthee - thanks for organizing this. if you need some help with random tasks associated with this project, just let me know. i'm willing to jump in at any level so you can have me chase down this-or-that so you can focus on the real work.

oh, and i'm in it to build 3! (2 being gifts).


one other question: don't recall this being discussed in the old thread, but since the feature set is already locked, it can lead to discussions around the aesthetics of the project. specifically, will there be choices around the panel colors a la gray/white vs black/orange, etc. definitely not a big deal at this stage, but just curious.

there are a few folks that have offered up case-building services, but given the concerns around shipping costs, i will likely just take the specs/dimensions and have the wood pieces cut, but build it myself along with doing the tolex on the outside. how hard could it be?
Smugrik
Just registered to the interest list applause
HueMonContact
Im totally interested in building one of these! This is one of the holy grail synths I've always wanted but was fairly certain I would not he able to acquire unless I lucked up and found one for sale when I actually have the money... Anyway let me stop babbling. I'm in and would love to build one.
I'll subscribe to the list on ya site. This is going to be fun!
Sorry for the long drunk message.
toppobrillo
interested depending on cost!
numan7
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t so psyched to see this happening! i'm definitely in for building at least one! Guinness ftw! Rockin' Banana!

cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 166, 167, 168  Next [all]
Page 2 of 168
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group