MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

'Budget' Oscilloscope Recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 'Budget' Oscilloscope Recommendations
neilbaldwin
So my little (but useful) DSO Nanoscope has given up the ghost and considering how much I used to use that, even in it's limited capacity, I think it's high time I sorted myself out with something a little more serious.

I'd rather not be spending three figures, low two figures would be ideal but has anyone got any recommendations?

I really ought to be in the market for a proper bench power supply too. I'm saying that in the desperate hope that there might be some kind of multi-function device: scope and variable power supply all built into one. I'm kind of limited for space, you see.

hihi
neilbaldwin
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Hantek-DSO5102P-USB-Digital-Storage-Osci lloscope-2-Channels-100MHz-1GSa-s-/231506757593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3& hash=item35e6e0c7d9

hmmm.....
ThecureForSin
I recently got a Siglent SDS1102CML and it does the job just fine. Make sure it's CML.
indigoid
neilbaldwin wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Hantek-DSO5102P-USB-Digital-Storage-Osci lloscope-2-Channels-100MHz-1GSa-s-/231506757593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3& hash=item35e6e0c7d9

hmmm.....

Rigol DS1054Z is probably a better deal. See EEVBlog for detailed reviews etc - by all accounts this is a fantastic scope. The only reason I haven't bought one myself is that I still have the previous model (DS1052E) and also a 400Mhz LeCroy

http://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-DS1054Z-Digital-Oscilloscope-p/ds1054z .htm
windspirit
I have the rigol ds1074 and I love it. Totally worth the couple of extra clams. Big built in screen, lots of digital features.

Let it be known that I DO NOT SUGGEST OR ENDORSE THE FOLLOWING KNOWLEDGE but I have heard that you can use a key generator to "unlock" higher bandwidths, as the more expensive models are actually the exact same hardware and are only band-limited in software.
ben_hex
neilbaldwin wrote:

I'd rather not be spending three figures, low two figures would be ideal but has anyone got any recommendations?

Suggests at £200+ unit zombie
neilbaldwin
ben_hex wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

Suggests at £200+ unit zombie

Haha, oops!

I should've said 'not be spending 4 figures, low three figures would be ideal' hihi

i.e. a few hundred quid rather than 1000+

woah

So far all the suggestions have been good.
ben_hex
I had a glimmer of hope some cheapo little budget device (seen those £40ish phone sized things) might be half decent for just watching waves.
Umcorps
ben_hex wrote:
I had a glimmer of hope some cheapo little budget device (seen those £40ish phone sized things) might be half decent for just watching waves.

For just watching waves, the Onyx Oscilloscope app for iOS is excellent.

Obviously its only good for audio but its very good at what it does. Especially good on an iPad with that nice big screen.
Rigo
Owon SDS7102V ? I'm a happy owner of one, though I don't use it that much. Should either switch in by default when using the modular, or get on with that DIY backlog hihi
Adminius
I use a GW Instek GOS620FG dual-trace analogue scope which I purchased brand new for about £250 a few years back, although I cannot find one nowadays for anything less than £475 - curious!

That Hantek DSO5102P digital scope looks like it could do the business, though; it's only £210 and has a much smaller desktop footprint than my 'old school' analogue scope.
BugBrand
I like having an analogue scope (alongside digital).
Enjoyed the Philips PM3350A which was pretty affordable (£100-200 perhaps?) - has digital storage alongside regular analogue.
So, perhaps check Philips alongside regular biggies like Tek.

http://www.stewart-of-reading.co.uk/Oscilloscopes.htm = great place for 2nd-hand.

But, of course.. new digitals probably do offer a LOT.
Grumskiz
I can also recommend getting an old Philips one. From what I gather these were used for decades in military training (or something like that), so now it is very easy to find a working used unit for around 50€. I have one myself, but unfortunately it currently has some problems in the trigger circuit. But that is to be expected for 40 years old equipment...
Philips oscilloscopes can still be serviced and repaired easily because they used mostly off the shelf common parts. (BC and BF series transistors for example) I heard from friends that servicing tektronix can be expensive because you will run into the problem of having to find special replacement parts.

I have also used a Rigol DS1054Z recently. If you can, get it! Might be overkill for just looking at waveforms tho.
duff
neilbaldwin wrote:

hmmm.....

I recently picked up a DSO5072P for about £170. I am no expert, but it seems to do everything I want of it and a whole lot more. It can be hacked to have features of the higher spec machines too although I have had no cause to try this yet. Whilst I am sure it is far from the best scope out there I went for it because it was available (the rigols were impossible to find in stock anywhere), and significantly cheaper than most of the 'similar' spec'd items I came across.
Piedwagtail
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231510408062

Got this on ebay right now as it happens.

Robert
LektroiD
indigoid wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

hmmm.....

Rigol DS1054Z is probably a better deal. See EEVBlog for detailed reviews etc - by all accounts this is a fantastic scope. The only reason I haven't bought one myself is that I still have the previous model (DS1052E) and also a 400Mhz LeCroy

http://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-DS1054Z-Digital-Oscilloscope-p/ds1054z .htm

Another vote here for the Rigol. I bought mine from MCS Test Equipment in the UK. Look for them on EEVBlog forums and message them they will give you a 10% off code for their store. I paid £248.57 all in. The 100MHz & all features hack is extremely simple if you'd prefer to have a DS1104z for the same price.

Check out the features here:
Nantonos
Rigo wrote:
Owon SDS7102V ? I'm a happy owner of one, though I don't use it that much. Should either switch in by default when using the modular, or get on with that DIY backlog hihi

That is what I have, sitting on top of the modular. Works well, super useful.

I don't tend to mention it on these sorts of threads though in case any EEVBlog readers shout at me because I got an Owon instead of a Rigol. Pretty much the first Google hit on SDS7102V is an ancient EEVBlog review (using beta firmware with bugs fixed years ago, with averaging accidentally switched off, and assorted other testing flaws which have been reported but are never corrected in the review) which compares poorly to a Rigol (with latest firmware and hacks, and with averaging switched on).

Don't let that bother you if a 1 GSa/s sample rate, 10 MSa memory depth per channel, decent-sized 800x600 screen you can actually see, well made compensated leads, and optional battery power sounds interesting. There is also a VGA output and a LAN out, though I haven't used those yet. Some tests on SDS7102V with more recent (2012) firmware at
http://owon.freeforums.org/some-tests-with-new-sds7102v-version-2-6-an d-2-8-2-t10.html

I bought mine here
http://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Owon-SDS7102V.html
Luap
ben_hex wrote:

If you mean DSO Nano's (like the OP had) then they are plenty good enough for checking out waveforms (and plenty more besides).
neilbaldwin
Luap wrote:
ben_hex wrote:

If you mean DSO Nano's (like the OP had) then they are plenty good enough for checking out waveforms (and plenty more besides).

Totally. For the price they are really useful little utilities. I just needed a bit more from it which I always knew meant stepping up the ladder a few rungs. When mine died (after about 3 years use) it seemed like the right time to make that move.
bfessler
Another RIGOL fan here; I have the RIGOL DS1074Z and love it. So much power for the price!

It completely changed the way I work, having upgraded from a junk old analog scope. I can't recommend enough getting a 4ch DSO, wish I would have sooner.

Also, if you plan to do anything with digital circuits, the RIGOL can decode incoming data signals into hex or integers, very helpful (see the photo attached for a shot from when I was writing and troubleshooting a I2C DAC driver).

And yes, you can easily hack it to the specs of the higher models, just search the EEVBlog forums for all the info...

[/img]
wsy
I'll vote for OWON scopes.

We have three at work (all battery-capable), I have one at home (with touchscreen, no battery) and they're bulletproof.

As in: We're doing work on wireless power. 10's of KV on conductors, RF field strengths high enough that there are "danger zone - do
not enter!" areas around some of the test equipment because the field strength is above the maximum instantaneous allowed for humans.

We have never lost an OWON even when it's powered up on batteries right in the danger zones.

The OWON scopes are also a heck of a lot quieter than the Rigol scopes. They're not fanless but they might as well be.

- Bill
widdly
I'm sorted for a scope but I'm interested in the second part of the question. Any recommends for a cheap bench supply for synth builders?
dusk
what connectors do I need for this to plug into 1/8 inch mono eurorack jacks?
AlanP
A few vendors carry BNC to 3.5mm cables smile
dusk
AlanP wrote:
A few vendors carry BNC to 3.5mm cables smile

ya, I was able to find some.. erthenvar sells them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2