MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Virus Repair question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Virus Repair question
voidshell
Hi all, Simple support question as Access isn't very helpful.

I was performing overseas in London back in Oct and my Virus B ended up getting plugged in without a proper step down converter. Cue Smoke and dead virus. I've opened it up and found that the component that I've marked up in red is cracked / smoking. I know most of the components on the circuit board but have no idea what this one is *Womp Womp* Any help and or links to a replacement?

Thanks for any help
NV
Is that writing on the side or part of the crack? Looks like a ferrite bead - ferrites have impedance and current specs which can be hard to determine without a schematic, but since it's a through-hole on power entry make sure it's rated well above the current needs.

I would check out the caps and regulators as well. I remember hearing in the Virus B the 100uF caps are prone to blowing even without power issues, particularly the one closest to the LM2575.
voidshell
Ive replaced all the caps and I've just removed the above mentioned component to see the unbelly (which was cracked)

From what I can read, it states:
BZW
papz
From memory, Access support service were very helpful when I contacted them years ago. I'm a bit surprised they couldn't help.
voidshell
papz wrote:
From memory, Access support service were very helpful when I did years ago.
http://www.virus.info

I started with them, They didn't seem to want to give away any information other than "Send it to us".
papz
Sorry to read this, good luck with the repair.
Clockgate
The BZW6-15 is an overvoltage protection diode, so it looks like it did it's job. Hopefully once you replace it all will be well.

Here is a link to the datasheet: http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/gr oup0/38/f1/5c/dd/17/70/4f/1f/CD00000694/files/CD00000694.pdf/jcr:conte nt/translations/en.CD00000694.pdf
NV
voidshell wrote:
Ive replaced all the caps and I've just removed the above mentioned component to see the unbelly (which was cracked)

From what I can read, it states:
BZW

To echo Clockgate, that's a +15V protection diode. Makes much more sense than a ferrite. Since it doesn't have the white line on one end it's the bidirectional variant, unless the line isn't coming through in the photo.

I understand the mentality behind companies like Access pushing for sending products in rather than user repair, but at the same time it's a nearly 20 year old synth that's prone to power and cap issues and swapping out a diode is a $0.10 fix. Hopefully schematics for some of these things will eventually leak onto the internet so Access can avoid liability while users can fix their synths without massive repair charges.
MAXTHEDOG
+1 for what clock gate said.

Good luck. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1