MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filthy Filter?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Filthy Filter?
Chuck E. Jesus
is it a clone? of what? how do you know?

trying to get some info for something, mostly just curious...
Muff Wiggler
No, its an original design, by John Blacet.

I 'know' because I have the circuit description, build instructions and schematic, and they were are all copyrighted by the designer - and I know he would have credited the previous designer if parts of it were cloned from elsewhere.
Chuck E. Jesus
curious because someone claims to "know" it's a SEM clone and i've never heard that, but it's really not important (trust me)...

thanks for the quick reply!
Muff Wiggler
hmm just out of curiosity, i pulled the manual - there's no mention of 'based on' or 'inspired by' anything in there, and the schems have the usual Blacet copyright on them....

seems unlikely to me - if you look at (at least the external view) of a SEM, the filter's featureset doesn't really match the one of the Filthy....

ignoring the more comprehensive CV implementation on the Blacet, I don't see a "X10/X100" resonance 'dirty' selection option on the CEM.

Nor do I see a mixable external/internal modulator - but the option to make a raw selection between one or the other IS there....

Finally one of the cool standout features of the Filthy is the morphable out - also not found on the CEM. (wait a second....or is it??)

Could be that the core is based on the same archetecture or something.... i dunno. Ultimately they are all built around one or two core designs though, aren't they? (Sallen-Key, Diode Ladder, etc...) How does this person explain to "know"? I'm curious myself now....

Chuck E. Jesus
from KVR, re: the Filthy Filter demo at Blacets site:

tomg wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
tomg wrote:

OB SEM. I'd know that filter anywhere.

Blacet Filthy Filtre.

http://www.blacet.com/FilF.html

No idea if its supposed to be a copy of the SEM filter.

I've known John a long time... Trust me it's the SEM. wink
Muff Wiggler
Yeah I read the thread.

I would take it with a grain of salt. They are both OTA based filters with similar, but different options. There's lots of other OTA filters out there, doesn't automatically make them an SEM clone.
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Yeah I read the thread.

now why would you go and do something silly like that? lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1