MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Max/MSP externals for the ES-4, ES-5 & ESX-4CV
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Max/MSP externals for the ES-4, ES-5 & ESX-4CV
hpsounds
subultresk wrote:
Not the best news to start the day, but i haven't found any way to run the externals under 10.6.8. - if you search Google you'll get many problem-stories… It doesn't seem to work with OsX 10.6.8 or below…

confused Damned ! very frustrating d'oh!
subultresk
Since this news should be in this place i'l re-post Os message here:

os wrote:
I've updated the ES-4, ES-5 and ESX-4CV externals for 10.6:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads.html

we're not worthy
broon_777
Hi os

Wondered if it was possible to use the current MAX externals in Pure Data?

Or if not are there any plans to convert them?

Not that Silent Way isn't awesome in it's own right LOL - I just have a few Pd patches which would work beautifully with my new ESX-8CVs and the modular....

Cheers
os
I confess I don't know the first thing about Pd. I'll read up and see what can be done.
broon_777
Thanks os - I very much appreciate you having a look at this,

They are supposed to share a very similar underlying architecture having both been programmed by Miller Puckette. Not sure what differences exist between Pd and MAX 6 now but AFAIK there have been a good few externals ported across from previous versions of MAX...so fingers crossed on this!!!

Would be amazing to be able to use an ES-4 & expanders direct in Pd - esp. given the fact that Pd is open source (and free!) - might really open doors for the modular with presets paradigm I reckon...

Cheers
thermionicjunky
os wrote:
I confess I don't know the first thing about Pd. I'll read up and see what can be done.

Please do. Pd can run on a Raspberry Pi, which can be connected to a S/PDIF interface. That would be an amazing and very portable computer module.

I've been considering expanding my ES-3/ES-6 with the ES-40. This would clinch it.
os
Interesting. I'd have to open source the externals for that though, right? Not out of the question.
SamUK
+1 for open sourcing.

I've been thinking about expanding my ES-3, but I'd only want to do it if I could use the extra outputs outside of my DAW too. I had figured that it would be easy enough to reverse engineer if I had to, 8 bits per channel, some sort of shift register for the 4CV and 8CV, but it would be great if there was a reference implementation out in the open.
robotfunk
if you build your plugin around flext it should be easy peasy to make it work on both pd and max/msp

http://puredata.info/Members/thomas/flext
os
I read the pd docs earlier. Should be trivial to rebuild the Max externals for pd.
broon_777
Fantastic news!! - thanks os
sushiluv
hi,

my es40 and es 8cv should arrive next week, very looking forward to it.

are there any tutorials on how a max midisequencer could be used with the max externals? i´d like to modify a max midisequencer that much, that i can use it wth the es, particualry there are threet hings i want to use with the es8cv, velocity, pitch and aux ( a midi cc).

amy help apprechiated, thanks a lot.
os
I have pd externals ready to go. If anyone would like to help me test them please let me know.
loopt
os wrote:
I have pd externals ready to go. If anyone would like to help me test them please let me know.

Wow.
Would love to test this with my Raspberry Pi and a Wolfson audio card.

That has to wait, though. Module budget is zero for the foreseeable future.
mwn
Great news! I'll finally pick up an ES-5 now, I'll be happy to test it when it arrives.
mwn
Will there be PD externals for the ESX-8GT and ESX-8CV as well?
os
There is one for the 8CV. The 8GT doesn't have its own external - that's handled by the ES-4 or ES-5 external.
mwn
Perfect. I placed my order for an ES-5 & ESX-8CV so I can hopefully test out the externals with PD in a few days.
hamildad
Just to check, Are there any issues with max7 & the externals?

better to be sure before buying..

Also anyone think of a Expert sleepers BEAP module?

I know you can use externals in BEAp and vice versa, but as BEAP is specifically designed to use 1v/Oct. Then a beap module should make sending out to a modular via a ES module a transparent process.
os
I've not tried Max 7. If there are any issues, I'm sure they'll be easily fixed.
subultresk
hamildad wrote:
Just to check, Are there any issues with max7 & the externals?

No problems. But there are problems with MIRA and Max7 (MIRA shows floating numbers boxes as integer number boxes). Also M4L is still Max6 - therefore Ableton Live is still Max6.

hamildad wrote:

Also anyone think of a Expert sleepers BEAP module?

I know you can use externals in BEAp and vice versa, but as BEAP is specifically designed to use 1v/Oct. Then a beap module should make sending out to a modular via a ES module a transparent process.

Beap is 0 to 5V. Just do a workaround.

hmmm.....

Hi OS - i hope you are well! Great new modules - i am waiting for two Disting modules!

w00t
subultresk
I can't post everything together for some reason?! (Sorry, you have been blocked)???

Beap is 0 to 5V. Just do a workaround. Most of my things are 0 to 1 (works best with all those different resolutions). Scale it to 0 2047 (0 to 5V) or -2048 2047 (-5V to 5V) - if i remember correctly it was 5,33V.
cheapmachines
I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around using the ES-4/8GT expander combo to send MIDI info.

Can someone do a very simple patch showing how to send MIDI note on/off info from the 8GT to an external synth?

Thanks for any help.
subultresk
cheapmachines wrote:

Can someone do a very simple patch showing how to send MIDI note on/off info from the 8GT to an external synth?

Thanks for any help.

You will find it if you go back one page. It's in the help-file (p esx-8gt).

... or here:
Download es4encoder~.maxhelp

The clue for using the gates individually is bit-shifting.

w00t
cheapmachines
subultresk wrote:
The clue for using the gates individually is bit-shifting.

Yeah, it's this I'm struggling with (although I'm sure it's obvious from the help file...)

What I'm trying to do is to send a specific note on/off signal from a Max patch. So, for example, if I want to use socket 8 on the 8GT as MIDI output, that would be 128... But how do I combine the note on/off info AND have it specify 128 so the 8GT understands where I'm sending it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4