MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Harvestman Polivox questions....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Harvestman Polivox questions....
Rhythmicons
Friends,
Im very intrigued by the sound of this module and this has summoned the eurorack beast in me for the first time.

Im barely learning about hp and things.

Anyway, I spone with Sebastian the Harvestman and Shawn from AH and I need some help getting some things straightented out.

1. Is the audio input of the filter capable of filtering ANY audio signal sugh as a guitar or Mic or is it requiring a hotter signal such as an Osc Output? Will I need an amplifier for the input signal and if so, can you reccoment one?

2. Does the harvestman cv input track at 0 to +8 volts or is it -10 to+10?
The engineer told me -10 - +10 but Shawn told me 0 to 8.

3. Will the Doepfer (or better suggestion) LFO or preferrably the envelope generator send a compatible CV signal, or can anyone reccomend one with matching levels.

and 4. What are your personal opinions of this filter? To me, it sounds very much like a Moog Taurus I filter with ADHD. Do you like this filter? Why or why not?

5. WHat kind of cords are required for the CV and audio inputs?

Your opinions and help will be extremely appreciated.

Oh, and I gues Im going to have to put this in the Doepfer lunch box rack unless someone has a really cheap alternative like this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.reichelt.de%2F%3FSID%3D26YRfWLqwQARoAABzNRMkaf94d4d19b44c96a87540 84019046f60%3BACTION%3D3%3BLA%3D2%3BGROUP%3DC75%3BGROUPID%3D3363%3BART ICLE%3D33986%3BSTART%3D0%3BSORT%3Dartnr%3BOFFSET%3D16

Thanks a lot and I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this unit.

Eric
schism
Eric,

Rhythmicons wrote:

2. Does the harvestman cv input track at 0 to +8 volts or is it -10 to+10?
The engineer told me -10 - +10 but Shawn told me 0 to 8.

When we discussed this 0-8v was in regards to the output level of the Doepfer envelope:
http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm
"Control voltages, as produced by modulation sources like the LFO and ADSR, are from -2.5 V to +2.5 V (5 VSS) for the LFO, and from 0 V to +8 V for the ADSR."

Shawn
Rhythmicons
Yeah I saw that before I posted, Im not implying you don't know what you are talking about, I just didn't want to bother Sebastian again.

So it looks like the doepfer envelope isn't going to quite cut it. I know the CV 2 on the HPV (lol) Filter is "sensitive" but Id like to get at least a full sweep of the cutoff freq. Looks like the Doepfer LFO isn't going to cut it either then right?

Respectfully,
Eric
dkcg
Rhythmicons wrote:
Yeah I saw that before I posted, Im not implying you don't know what you are talking about, I just didn't want to bother Sebastian again.

So it looks like the doepfer envelope isn't going to quite cut it. I know the CV 2 on the HPV (lol) Filter is "sensitive" but Id like to get at least a full sweep of the cutoff freq. Looks like the Doepfer LFO isn't going to cut it either then right?

Respectfully,
Eric

It should be fine. If the LFO isn't enough, patch it into the CV1 of the VCF and you can fine tune how much more sweep you want (the CVs are added, not averaged, so you could double the CV voltage in this way and get way beyond what you want). The Polivoks is probably much more sensative that you think it may be also.

Also, you probably wouldn't hear anything past a 0-8V/oct, so I don't think you would want/need -10/10V, unless you got the hearing range of a bat to an elephant.

1. All modules work with line levels. You would need something to get a guitar and mic up into the range you need. If Guitar and Mic will be a regular thing, I recommend the Cwejman AP-1.

2. See above

3. 99.9% of euro modules have no compatibility issues. that .1% almost always has a workaround with another utility module or two.

4. I love mine. Lowpass is great on the Polyvoks. I like other filters for bandpass.

5. 1/8" cable, 3.5mm should be fine too (I think they're slightly different).
dkcg
doublepost
jonkull
I've got in-laws with me until tomorrow. If you can wait until Wed. I'll record a sweep with a Doepfer ADSR and a Livewire Vulcan. Had you not posted about the +/-10v I would have never know that I'm not getting a full sweep because it doesn't sound like it.
Soy Sos
Welcome Rhythmicons,
Yes the Polivoks filter is very good and capable of a wide range of sounds. Like dkcg said you really should not have any problem with audio and CV signals being compatible between eurorack modules. Getting external signal into your modular you will need a pre-amplifier. I don't have the Cwejman AP-1 and I know it's amazing sounding but it is however $685. It has all kind of great features like XLR in, +48v, envelope follower and optical compressor. It may be at the beginning stage of the game over kill, when you can pick up the Doepfer A-119 new for $100 plus they pop up used fairly often. It also has an envelope follower and gate with adjustable threshold. If you find later that you must absolutely have a pre-amp of better quality you can sell it at around 75% new price and upgrade. I've had excellent experience doing business with the good folks on this forum. Lastly beware, this shit can be habit forming and you may find yourself thinking how much cooler would it be to have 2 intermodulating LFO's for that filter.....and then maybe another filter...... and a CV digital delay......and a couple of joysticks......shit, there's a new sequencer...........ummm....I'm gonna need another case............
dkcg
Soy Sos wrote:
Welcome Rhythmicons,
Yes the Polivoks filtLastly beware, this shit can be habit forming and you may find yourself thinking how much cooler would it be to have 2 intermodulating LFO's for that filter.....and then maybe another filter...... and a CV digital delay......and a couple of joysticks......shit, there's a new sequencer...........ummm....I'm gonna need another case............

d'oh! This sounds like my last 6 months or so.
I wish someone warned me when I got my first suitcase. lol
Rhythmicons
I guess the Doepfer unit is pretty much going to have to be it.

It all started out a long time ago.....

I bought a Moog ringmod for my Fender Rhodes JUST for the tremelo. I already had a MicroMoog that was given to my father for free (his Rhodes too, I now claim them both). I had seen the MoogerFooger line but because of their stompbox nature I had written them off as guitar oriented units. WHen I heard the ringmod I shat my pants thinking about how it was going to sound with the Rhodes. Then the guy on the free Moog dvd (Brian Kehew) demonstrated the Voyager with a Midi string module and I shat my pants again.

This is my current synth rig as it is now.

My intention is STILL to get a nice system together of Modusonics modules but as you can see in the dotcom rack frame is a lonely eunich 921a Osc Driver with no 921b and no power supply. THe Theremin is an Etherwave Standard Plus. Not shown is an 1130 percussion controller.
I also have an electro harmonix bassballsfilter and a rocktron banshee talkbox. Taurus III's pending.

I never intended to ever set foot in eurorack territory. So, whilst I sit pondering my next Fooger (Mf103 from Novamusik for $250) I decided to check out Analog Haven because I read once they have a Model D in the back room.

So I go on their homepage and I see the polyvox filter and here I am. I was already wondering about dotcom sequencers and filter banks and such because modusonics wants too damn much. Now Im just looking for a simple 84hp tier with some different filters to choose from and some simple modulators. I want to be able to process synths and other instruments like horns and vocals.

Back on the topic.....Now my initial investment possibillity grew from 250 to 400 bucks with the baby doepfer rack and the amp with the polivox.

So I was already all too familliar with the beast.

Anyone with the filter care to comment on its unstabillity in self oscillation mode?

Thanks for all of your help in this trip to Europe.

Eric
dougcl
The only thing I would add... well two things, is that it doesn't track 1v/oct and that I have a perfect one for sale for $125
smile

Doug
Rhythmicons
Im actually considering taking you up on that, but I would kick myself if I bought another eunich module. Im trying to make sure that I get something that I can turn on right out of the box.

Eric
dougcl
Are you asking what you need beyond just the module to use it?
Soy Sos
Dude, get the Doepfer DIY kit:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a100diy1/
Put together a simple case and buy Doug's Polivoks. You can't go wrong with used gear from forum members. People are always selling and trading stuff at reasonable prices here. I forgot to say how much fun this filter is. Sounds cool and controlled at low rez setting and gnarley and nasty at high rez. Self oscillation is fun as is edge of self oscillation.
dkcg
Rhythmicons wrote:
Im actually considering taking you up on that, but I would kick myself if I bought another eunich module. Im trying to make sure that I get something that I can turn on right out of the box.

Eric

Like Doug said, it won't be good if you plan on using it as an oscillator, but it sounds very nice. It can be nice and sound sweet, but turn up the resonance all the way and it will scream at you. Big range of types of music/sound can be done with it. However, if you want a filter to track like an oscillator, you may take a look at the Cwejman MMF-1. It's on the tame side in comparison to the harvestman VCF, but it is a beautiful sounding filter, and tracks great in self oscillation! I love it's bandpass modes.
Rhythmicons
Man I realize thats a tempting offer...let me think on it. I don't need to spend some money real impulsive like. (This purchase was going to go down closer to christmas time)

DCL,
I was really just thinking that if I got the filter, Id at least want to send a gate to an envgen to get it to sweep for me. But this 1 module is turning into a handfull really fast lololol.

If you aren't in a hurry to sell, gimme some time to figure out what Im going to do. Im usually the type of person who really appreciates unrwapping the plastic off of brand new stuff only (except my pawnshop talkbox, imagine that of all groos things) but this whole eurorack thing has me rethinking a lot of things.

Eric
Rhythmicons
opsysbug
I LOVE this filter. I've had quite a few analog synths through the years
and this was the first filter I bought when I started a Euro case.
I love it. Really weird and dirty and screams sometimes !! we're not worthy
I've never heard one quite like it.
Soy Sos
Sorry man, not trying to tempt you to the endless quest.
I've actually been really chilled, not having any extra bread to spend. razz
dougcl
Soy Sos wrote:
Sorry man, not trying to tempt you to the endless quest.
I've actually been really chilled, not having any extra bread to spend. razz

It's interesting watching the latest things come and go.
computer controlled
The beauty of the Polivoks is that when the input is pushed hard, the Resonance gets all unstable and gnarly at near self oscillation. In the best posibly way of course! It's easily one of the best filters i've ever heard. It reminds me the filter in the Akai AX-60. The resonance is a killer. Another thing is that will NOT lose the bottom end as the resonance is increased. Not many filters around can claim that. My Doepfer A-140 envelope works just fine with it, as does the 145 LFO. I'm pretty certain you'll never regret your Polivoks purchase!
Rhythmicons
I know the Voyager's filters when the resonance is way up, it overpowers the oscillators, so theres really no botom end until the frequency of the filters sine is low, then watch yourselves.

Eric
computer controlled
That's the problem i have with most filters. They suck the low end out when the resonance is turned up.
Rhythmicons
Im not an engineer, but that could just be a charachteristic of that type of filter when it resonates.
dkcg
computer controlled wrote:
That's the problem i have with most filters. They suck the low end out when the resonance is turned up.

What about modulating the filter with a division of the original oscillator?
Should be able to get some low end growl that way.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1