MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moon Modular 506 Modifier (VCF+VCA) NOW ON SALE! ;-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Moon Modular 506 Modifier (VCF+VCA) NOW ON SALE! ;-)
JohnLRice
Seems like it's been a long wait but, it must be just around the corner since Noisebug has it up on their sight now! And check out the huge computer generated image they have of it here:
http://www.noisebug.net/site/effects/index.cfm?ID=541
fyvewytches
Yup... I got an email yesterday from Schneidersladen saying mine will be here next week w00t w00t
odecahedron
looking very pretty...

this is also probably the single best graphic design representation of a module ive seen to date, right down to the alum swirling in the knob caps - flash!
kindredlost
Very nice value. Combining a LPF and VCA in a 2U is outstanding and very well thought out.

I wonder if the "ladder" design is a transistor ladder or diode ladder? Probably the former. How many poles? I wonder if the jumpers on the back affect this or if they are affecting the slope of the VCA? So many questions... I guess I'll just have to order one to find out. Mr. Green

This is one of the best $399 US modules I've seen from a bang for buck standpoint. Gert is really pulling out the stops. If I were starting off in a system this would be on the short list. Compact and powerful.

Now we will have to add another mnemonic symbol to our descriptions - VCM
thumbs up
fyvewytches
kindredlost wrote:
How many poles?

The is a 3-way switch for selecting 24, 18 or 12dB
kindredlost
fyvewytches wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
How many poles?

The is a 3-way switch for selecting 24, 18 or 12dB

Okay. That is the conventional explanation tying poles to slope but not really a complete answer. For the sake of no argument, I'll let this question die rather than slide down the Laplace Transformation Domain rabbit hole. Besides, I don't have the maths for it myself, just curious.

A -24dB filter is and -24dB filter right? razz

Nice filter/vca regardless. A nice demo will no doubt be forthcoming soon.
sonicwarrior
kindredlost wrote:
Combining a LPF and VCA in a 2U is outstanding and very well thought out.

Oh really? => http://www.megaohmaudio.com/deltaVCFv2.html
JohnLRice
Two sweet arrivals today. Quick picture of the 506 for now, demo to follow soon . ..

Ockeghem
That module looks great!
love
But where have I seen that "baseball diamond" knob arrangement before? hmmm.....
Good for sounds "out of left field" I expect.
AnalogBastard
thumbs up Looks nice John... Looking fwd to the demo !
MindMachine
kindredlost wrote:
Now we will have to add another mnemonic symbol to our descriptions - VCM
thumbs up

That is also the abbreviation/accronym in Sergeland for the Voltage Contolled Wave Multiplier - VCM.

This module looks sweet. I cannot wait to hear it (cue JLR!).
Dave Peck
Picture of the back side, please!

.... for those of us who, you know, are into that kind of thing....

JohnLRice
Thanks everyone! Dave, I'll get a back picture up soon, lots of juicy jumpers on the back to facilitate integrated systems it seems! hyper love

Here's a YouTube vid. Audio track turned out with horrible low end distortion in places though waah

So I made a MP3 of the audio which sounds great w00t but after uploading to Soundcloud it picked up some high end fizzy distortion d'oh! meh
[s]http://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/moon_506_experiments_1[/s]

So I was going to upload it to GrooveShark which usually maintains audio quality beautifully but I haven't used since I was on Windows XP and Windows 8 isn't liking the required Java plugin installer very frustrating angry
JohnLRice
OK, let's try this. I opened up an Official.Fm account and uploaded the file. The player won't imbed on Muff's that I can figure out so go to their site below. The sound quality is still crappy but you can download a high quality copy for free (free for now hihi In the future some things I put on there will come at a price hyper )

http://official.fm/tracks/7eCH
JohnLRice
Quick iPad picture of part of the back . . the most interesting part I think! Jumpers to allow (I'm assuming) the creation of small integrated systems and/or for connecting to routing and switching modules in large systems! hyper 8_)

And in case you can't tell and for those it matters to, this module is 100% through-hole. This is fun!
Henfield
JLR, What is the depth? It looks pretty shallow from the pic that you posted.
JohnLRice
Henfield wrote:
JLR, What is the depth? It looks pretty shallow from the pic that you posted.

It is very shallow! 8_) If it wasn't for the two power connectors it would be like 1 7/8" but I guess minimum clearance required would be something like 2 1/8" . . . maybe 2 1/4" to be on the safe side.
Squattamolie
JohnLRice wrote:
Two sweet arrivals today. Quick picture of the 506 for now, demo to follow soon . ..

Beautiful! And I particularly like the screen of Muff's in the background! Nice composition!
JohnLRice
Squattamolie wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Beautiful! And I particularly like the screen of Muff's in the background! Nice composition!

thanks! we're not worthy
JohnLRice
Moon just posted a new video of the 506:

Dave Peck
Well, I got about two minutes into the video and gave up. That may be a great module but you'd never know that from the video.
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
Well, I got about two minutes into the video and gave up. That may be a great module but you'd never know that from the video.

Sorry Dave, I'll try to do something more interesting soon. sad banana Or, do you mean Moon's video? hmmm.....
Dave Peck
No, no! I was referring to the Moon video! Yours are always really informative and they just keep getting better.

But that Moon video .... It doesn't really seem to show off anything about the filter, and it sounds like the speakers are somewhere outside the room down at the far end of the hall.
Henfield
JohnLRice wrote:
OK, let's try this. I opened up an Official.Fm account and uploaded the file. The player won't imbed on Muff's that I can figure out so go to their site below. The sound quality is still crappy but you can download a high quality copy for free (free for now hihi In the future some things I put on there will come at a price hyper )

http://official.fm/tracks/7eCH
JLR, thank you for the audio! One question that I have is: how much Moog style character can you coax from this module? Sound wise, how does it compare to your Donimoog filter?
robotmakers
Note that the Don Martin 904 filter set is essentially identical to the Moog equivalent and is designed for a completely different (far lower) level of input and output. Comparisons would have to equalize for this. Tricky.

Cheers,
Roger
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2