MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dicking around with the Flame Clockwork
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author Dicking around with the Flame Clockwork
MrDys
Here's something I whipped up tonight using the clockwork and some doepfer modules:

http://www.twango.com/media/MrDys.public/MrDys.10005

The patch goes something like: all outputs of the clockwork (1, 2, 3, & sum) are going into inputs of the A151 seq switch. One of those outputs is multed and is also clocking a A117 random clock which is acting as the trigger for the switch. Output of the switch is going into a A142 VC Gate which is going into the pedal in of a korg padKontrol which turns it into midi which is further mangled by a midipipe patch which goes into logic.

A lot of work for a nice laid back funky rhythm. Now that the patch is all set up, I kind of don't want to tear it down...
Cat-A-Tonic
that's fresh.

I know how you feel about keeping a patch up for a while.
I have been tweaking out 1 patch for over a week now.
It just keeps on getting better and better.
J.w.M.
Chillll...
Very nice. It works well with the beat!

I totally know what you mean about keeping around good patches. I've got a pretty good-sized folder full of pictures of favorite patches to aid my memory and provide a jumping-off point. I ignore all of the pictures and whatnot if I want to just sit down and improvise, of course...
Kwote
i tear down everything and zero out the controls after every session. i'm bad at documenting patches aside from a rare note here and there.

relying purely on memory. trying to sharpen my brain.
Muff Wiggler
that was very fresh, super chill groove, nicely done!

i've been really curious about the Clockwork.

Now, with a couple of new drum modules on the way to me, i'm even more curious about it, and would like to know more

can it be a standalone clock on it's own? or do i have to feed it midi clock?

is there anyway to clock it with CV/Clock out from a modular? I use my Binary Zone a lot, and my Noise Ring even more often, as the master clock for a bunch of stuff in patches. Can I get the clockwork to follow this, or will it only follow midi?

ok, still trying to wrap my head around it. Here's something i'm wondering. Let's say it's clocking on it's own or following midi, whatever. My understanding is that based on/factored down from this master clock, i have three seperate channels, that could each be used to trigger three seperate drum modules, each channel based on divisions of the master clock but including options to shuffle it around within the division, plus some other arty stuff, per channel? i'm curious what the other arty stuff can be. Is it full bars of straight divisions (however shuffled) or are there options to mute/suppress certain beats within the bar of the divided clock?

uh, i guess that's about it. I think i may order one soon so would like to get my head around it a bit more. thanks
felix
Awesome! I love sending different rate clocks to the 155 switch.

I was doing this a lot with the PlanB M28 and mixing in the EOC pulse out of the M10 to clock it (and CVing the Time Base of the M10 changes the EOC pulse rate). I love stuff like that.

I was really intrigued by the Clockwork when Shawn told me about it at NAMM, but it was just pictures then. It sounds really fun.
plord
Muff Wiggler wrote:
can it be a standalone clock on it's own? or do i have to feed it midi clock? is there anyway to clock it with CV/Clock out from a modular?

It can generate it's own internal clock, standalone, rate goes from uh...I think 40bpm to 300bpm but don't quote me on that part. There's a start/stop toggle (not as slick as a button switch). There is no way to feed it analog clock. It's internal or midi only.
Quote:
Here's something i'm wondering. Let's say it's clocking on it's own or following midi, whatever. My understanding is that based on/factored down from this master clock, i have three seperate channels, that could each be used to trigger three seperate drum modules, each channel based on divisions of the master clock but including options to shuffle it around within the division, plus some other arty stuff, per channel? i'm curious what the other arty stuff can be. Is it full bars of straight divisions (however shuffled) or are there options to mute/suppress certain beats within the bar of the divided clock?
You can shuffle 8ths or 16ths; for example you can shuffle 8ths forward a full eighth, so you get an offbeat hit on a quarter note kick. You can adjust the "random" setting for each of the three divisions; this subtracts some of the gates, more of them as you turn up the random. It's NOT like the NR where the pattern repeats; it's just randomly dropping beats out. Still very cool. There is also a SUM output of all three pattern gates, that responds to all three random settings. But you can't suppress certain beats in a bar from the Clockwork itself.

What I do is: pull the clocks from the Clockwork to a crossfader (or any VC switch would work). Then using the Binary Zone, or Gated Comparator, or Metalbox sequential switch, or some combination of 2 or 3 of those smile I send a gate pattern to the crossfader/VC switch to toggle the clock pattern between CW output signal and "nothing". If you send the binary zone output to the gated comparator, then tap the 1st and output and the 5th output of the GC shift register, then use those two signals to drive the crossfaders with the CW output, you can get a 64 step pattern where one voice trails the other by a quarter note (or a half, or a bar, or whatever...just clock the GC slower or send it through a subsequent gate delay, or whatever).

Ok, now I actually have to go home and patch that up smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1