MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Silent way with Korg Ms-20 ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Silent way with Korg Ms-20 ?
elektrodomestic
I people, I want to know if anyone as tried ou Silent way with the korg Ms20 series. I know that with volta it has some isues i think because The MS-20 VCO CV input doesn't respond to bipolar voltages. It has a range of 0-8V, while MOTU interfaces have a range of about -4 to +4. Even if you only wanted to use half the range, the 0-4V range is so low pitched that pitch calibration doesn't work. So you have to add in an offset voltage. I dont have a motu around so I can test it, but I will get one with this works on a Ms20.
elektrodomestic
By the way somebody told me this would work with volta

"The easiest way to do this is to add a ramp source and set the ramp to a constant value of about 0.6 to 0.75. The ramp and your voice pitch CVs will sum so your effective output will be 0to8V instead of -4to+4V. Then you can adjust the VCO scale and pitch knobs to get the base pitch into the range in which calibration will work. The calibration mode has to be set to Hz/V."

Hope this helps somebody

give it a test and let me know Thanks guys
os
In this thread there's a user who eventually got his MS-20 working with Silent Way:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255926&postdays=0&postor der=asc&start=30
os
elektrodomestic wrote:
while MOTU interfaces have a range of about -4 to +4.

Recent models have a much larger range. E.g. the 828 mk3 is supposed to range from -9V to +9V (i.e. 18V range). That should then in theory work fine with the MS-20.
elektrodomestic
os wrote:
elektrodomestic wrote:

Recent models have a much larger range. E.g. the 828 mk3 is supposed to range from -9V to +9V (i.e. 18V range). That should then in theory work fine with the MS-20.

I was thinking buying a ultralite MkII in ebay, so this will not be my best buy, and probably wont work with kork Ms-20 ? or I will lost some control over keyboard octave range ?
ndkent
elektrodomestic wrote:
os wrote:
elektrodomestic wrote:

I was thinking buying a ultralite MkII in ebay, so this will not be my best buy, and probably wont work with kork Ms-20 ? or I will lost some control over keyboard octave range ?

Wasn't the MkII the model that never came out? Watch out on ebay if I'm right.

As for "recent models" that's not a reliable criteria. Some models have a lot more range than others without any relationship to new-ness. You should get a hold of the test results MOTU has.

If you have a mixer module of some sort that works with voltage it's quite easy to simply mix in some positive voltage and offset the negative range up out of negative.

I don't get the ramp comment. If the interface only does -4 to +4 then it on it's owncan generate can be more than +4. But if you externally can add more voltage via a mixer module or something then you are in business.
os
Agreed, I don't believe the Ultralite mk2 exists.

And agreed about that ramp thing. If the hardware will only output 4V, nothing you do in software will change that.
Analog>Plugins
I managed to get the Yamaha CS-30 running just fine over 67 octaves. This uses the same hz/volts that the Korg MS10/20 uses.

Couldn't get it to calibrate using Volta. Mess around with the oscilator i.e take off some of the filter so it can track easier to calibrate, try different wave forms.

Also use the headphone outputs as these put out a much higher voltage.
elsuturo
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I managed to get the Yamaha CS-30 running just fine over 67 octaves.

that's great news for my 804-key controller! razz razz
Analog>Plugins
doh! lol I meant 6 to 7 octaves Dead Banana
doctorvague
I just got the MS-20 working perfectly with Silent Way Voice Controller AU 1.4.0 G5 dual 2.5, OSX 10.4.11, DP 5.13, 424 card/24i/o > Synthesizers.com signal processor to add about 4V positive offset>MS-20. Didn't chart the octaves, but hey it works!!
Good job Expert Sleepers!
applause applause

Still haven't got Volta going with the MS-20 but will try again sometime soon.
Now I want to take a break testing and make music.
Or whatever we're calling these blippy noises.
I like to call my stuff 'pieces'.
That's pretty all encompassing considering that it covers 'pieces of shit' on up the scale.
os
Awesome - thanks for testing and for the detailed results.

You'd more than qualify for the bounty by the way.
babyjaws
I got my MS20 going with my Motu 828 mk1 as follows:

(after maybe 2 days of pulling my hair out and refusing to accept it doesnt calibrate without a voltage offset!!!! : )

I used 2 insert Y-leads and plugged into outputs 7-8 (the others didnt work)

output 7 goes into the the 'FREQ' input of the ms20, which takes -5v - +5v, you need to set your EG1/EXT knob to 10

(I used the black end of the Y leads for connections)

output 8 goes into trigger, again using the black end of the Y- lead.

i used only OSC 2 and set it to 4' and triangle wave

AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT! I GET OVER 6 OCTAVES!!! YAY!!!!!

having much fun now smile
xaez
os

Grüsz Dich os,

ich hoffe, Du kannst mir da bitte Informationen geben - mit Schneider's Laden bin ich ebenfalls im Kontakt, aber derz. ist nicht der geeignete Fachmann für diese Fragen anwesend

ich möchte von MaxMsp aus (ver. 4.6.3, 6.1.3 unter xp,w7, osx)
über die ES-3 Module (ich halte diese Variante f. erschwinglicher als die ES-4 Module)
modulare Systeme kontrollieren (u.a. A-100, ms-20 mini, MS-20, System Formant speciale, ASL etc. )

derz. denke ich an 8CV 8 Gate, es werden 0-10v als auch -5v -+5v benötigt

als audio-interfaces stehen ESI U24 XL u. focusrite saffire zur Verfügung ist es möglich mit Hilfe dieses Wandlers das TOS-Link an das ES-3 anzuschließen?

http://www.reichelt.de/A-V-Kabel-Toslink-LWL-/WANDLER-K-O/3/index.html  ?;ACTION=3;LA=446;ARTICLE=47290;GROUPID=3614;artnr=WANDLER+K-O

merci für deine Hilfe und Unterstützung
Gr.
xaez[/url]
os
OK, so basing my reply on what I understand via Google Translate:

No, you can't use an SPDIF converter to drive the ES-3.
xaez
thank you os for your answer,

aber welches ist nun die preisgünstigste Lösung standalone um über das ADAT-Protokoll die ES-3 module zu betreiben?

nebenbei: vorhin habe ich bei Schneiders Laden erfahren, daß sie dazu auch "noch" keine Lösung haben

Gr.
xaez
xaez
os

so os, I've search again and bei thomann-music they suggests me to using the Behringer FCA610

what do you mean?

ist dieses Interface kompatibel mit ES-3?

Gr.
xaez
os
No, it doesn't have ADAT.
xaez
but at this link by thomann they say that ADAT is include in the FCA610 os,

http://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_fca610.htm

was ist denn nun richtig?

cheers
xaez
os
That's wrong.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA610.aspx
xaez
ja os, es ist "leider" wahr, thomann habe ich den Fehler gerade mitgeteilt

ärgerlich

wie wäre es aber mit FCA 1616?
das ist in Deutschland übrigens erst im September lieferbar

bis bald
xaez
os
Sorry, I don't speak (enough) German.
xaez
schön Monsieur,
translated into english language

a os, it is "unfortunately" true thomann, I just told the error

annoying

as it would be with FCA1616?
this is the way in Germany in September available
os
The FCA1616 has ADAT and so will work with the ES-3.
xaez
os, das höre ich ich gerne,

hopes that in september this audiointerface will be available

but what about the audio"quality" of the FCA1616 do you have hear some negative points about this?

cheers
xaez
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2