MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What next mk.II
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author What next mk.II
whomper
Well, as more I build Blacet kits, the more my hunger grows for more kits to build.

I am looking out for an advise on my next module, i have:

Blacet: VCO, MinWave, FilthyFilter, EG1, QUad VCA, Improbability Driver, Micro LFO, Window Comparator, Dual Filter.
+ a PS3100 Resonator

What should be my next module? Should I go for double, like another VCO or still stick to different modules, like the Klang?

Whomper
consumed
i think your next module should be a mixerprocessor. a mult would be good too--i think that the STG 3x4 mult in 1u is an excellent use of the space.
Kwote
i agree with consumed on the mixer/processor.

but i'd also add to that a 2nd VCO, 2nd EG and something more simple like the sequential switch.

it's good you have the improb drive already. that's one of the next on my list. i really need a good noise, S/H, clock source.

and i want the sequential. i know it's only 3 or 4 steps but it'll be so easy to build, it's cheap and it'll add that extra spice in a patch that i know i'll love.

if it wasn't for all the other things i need i might grab another dual filter though. they're just such a bargain.

i'm building my 1st on Sunday. i almost feel bad for letting it sit in a drawer all week.
Kwote
oh. i should mention if you didn't know that the Klang is on it's last run. so if you really have an interest now would be the time to grab it.

as i continue on i find it a great module to have although i can't say i'm completely in love with it. doesn't always find it's way into my patches, but it's nice to know it's there when i'm in the mood.
Muff Wiggler
Kwote wrote:
i'm building my 1st on Sunday

you should do up a little photo journal of your build process and post it here in the DIY section to get people all pumped, and of course provide a nice document of your first kit build 8)
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Kwote wrote:
i'm building my 1st on Sunday

you should do up a little photo journal of your build process and post it here in the DIY section to get people all pumped, and of course provide a nice document of your first kit build 8)

this isn't my first actually(i meant first dual filter). i built the dual linear VCA last month and multed up some rack ears.

i'll definately document that and the dual chime.

i've decided to dedicate my blog to all my DIY experiences.

http://kwotemusic.blogspot.com/
Muff Wiggler
it's a good idea!
Kwote
i'm pretty pumped up just thinkin about it.

whomper
consumed wrote:
i think your next module should be a mixerprocessor. a mult would be good too--i think that the STG 3x4 mult in 1u is an excellent use of the space.

Can't my quad VCA serve as the mixer?

As for the multi, I have noticed its just a passive interconnection between the sockets. Am I missing a thing or is it really something I can connect myself without too much trouble?

Whomper
Kwote
whomper wrote:
consumed wrote:

Can't my quad VCA serve as the mixer?

As for the multi, I have noticed its just a passive interconnection between the sockets. Am I missing a thing or is it really something I can connect myself without too much trouble?

Whomper

yes the quad most definately can serve as a mixer. but i believe it won't invert your signals like the MX will. plus i've found since i got the 3p that it's good to have a mixer and a VCA.

i have two dual linear VCA's now and 1 bananalogue 3p. totally worthwhile.

as far as the multiple. you shouldn't bother with the blacet mult/atten. the STG might be cool but since you're doing DIY you should consider multing your rack ears so you still have room for more modules.

you don't really wanna tie up space with mults if you don't have to.
Kwote
just dug up this old post from plord on modularsynth.net in the DIY section.

it was an old thread i started asking for mult advice.

plord wrote:
Are you thinking about 1/8" or 1/4" jacks?

If it's 1/8 (3.5mm), you can lay out two rows and wire them into 4-way or six way multiples; you can easily get 40 jacks on a 1U 19" panel for 10 4-way mults.

Then to wire a mult, you just solder all of the grounds together per group, and all of the tip signals.
If you arrange your mults in single rows of 4 or 6 (instead of a rectangular shape that uses both rows); then you can handle the ground with a single length of solid core wire. The tips are a little trickier, as you will have to bring two wires together for each of the middle jacks; I usually cut/twist/tin the wiring harness for the signals ahead of time, so I only need three hands with soldering them up, not five! smile

hope that helps,
Paul
Muff Wiggler
yeah the QuadMix VCA isn't really suited as a CV mixer because you don't have inversion and bias controls - it's a mixer but not a processor
consumed
you know, having a linear vca would be a really really good idea too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1