MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Old Multiladder pcb c2000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Old Multiladder pcb c2000
bananeurysm
I have an old multiladder pcb that I've been procrastinating on for about 8 years. (It's date-stamped june 2000)

For whatever reason my diy synth projects are back to life after a brief start and then an 8 year break.

I'm thinking about putting it into a small 5u system I'm putting together - but I can really only afford 1u of space. So I'm considering leaving off the extra inputs, and the 1v/oct knob - leaving me with the following: (excuse the lazy excuse for layout below)

freq knob

res knob

cv depth knob

in 1v/oct

cv res

rung1 rung2

rung3 rung4

Considering that this 24 space system will only have a single mixer - would it make more sense for me to just cut my losses and spring for a new superladder pcb? Bear in mind - the system will already have a dotcom multimode filter - so my main interest is a powerful ladder LP filter. That being said I want to squeeze as much functionality as I can into as little space as possible.

Thoughts?

PS - while I'm asking about old stuff.. anyone know where to track down replacement pots for old Oakley pcbs in the US? I'm not really sure what other parts will fit.. I have a handful of old omeg pots I got back in the day - but I expect I'll be missing some after 8 years of moving around with this stuff. </end epic post>
Synthbuilder
bananeurysm wrote:
I can really only afford 1u of space. So I'm considering leaving off the extra inputs, and the 1v/oct knob

This sounds like the filter core idea I use on most of the new VCF modules. It certainly suits some people - including me.

Presumably you are mounting the board in a Stooge style bracket though. You wouldn't be able to get the sockets in there because the full length board will foul the top row of sockets.

bananeurysm wrote:
Considering that this 24 space system will only have a single mixer - would it make more sense for me to just cut my losses and spring for a new superladder pcb?

You could get a new Superladder board. Its pretty much the same core as the Multiladder and features the band pass output too. You don't have the two and three rung outputs though.

But I think you are going to need more mixers anyway. Its the one thing I'm always short on.

bananeurysm wrote:
anyone know where to track down replacement pots for old Oakley pcbs in the US?

Use the 16mm Alphas without the brackets. They have the same pin out spacing - but they won't fit the Omeg brackets. However, just soldering the pots without the brackets into the double sided board is strong enough for home studio use.
bananeurysm
Thanks for the tips!

Is there much sonic difference between the superladder in full lowpass mode, and the multi ladder 4th rung output?
Synthbuilder
bananeurysm wrote:
Is there much sonic difference between the superladder in full lowpass mode, and the multi ladder 4th rung output?

There are a few differences in the circuitry so I would expect some small differences in the sound. Just how noticeable they are, and as to which one is better is, however, probably difficult to say.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1