MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My modest Oakley set up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author My modest Oakley set up
catatemycaps
Here is what I have been able to put together so far.
All the panels used to be made out of 4mm plywood, but I did not really like how they turned out so I replaced all of them with 2mm aluminum ones.
Also, that thickness was not sturdy enough and they felt a bit too flexible.

The case is oak that has been carefully sanded and then oiled.
(Apologies for the crappy iPhone photos)

Bottom row from left to right:
- MidiDAC (He's the "special one" with the mentioned plywood panel)
- VCO
- VCO
- (space for one more VCO)
- ADSR/VCA
- Dual VCA
- Multimix
- Croglin
- Deep Equinoxe
- Noise/Filter
- Ring mod
- SVF
- VC-LFO
- panel with power on and rail leds

The loner on the top row is another ADSR/VCA

I'm currently working on an Overdrive II and there are a few more left in the backlog after that:

- Dual LFO
- Diode superladder filter
- VCO
- COTA
- Dual VCA
- VRG
- Classic VCA
- Fourmix

Everything is powered by an 80VA toroidal transformer and an Oakley PSU.
That should be enough for all the modules (according to my calculations) but I will need another transformer + PSU for future modules.
nerdware
Very tasty! Did you make the rails yourself? I can't see any holes. Do you drill them as you install modules?
wyrtti
Very nice looking. Also reminds me that I should do something about my case.
thumbs up
catatemycaps
Nerdware: Thank you for your kind words! Those rails are actually wood covered with aluminum tape. A grounding wire runs from the rails to a common ground point.

Wyrtti: Kiiti kovasti. smile
donpachi
Looks excellent! Great choice of knobs. What are those LED bezels, do they have a diffusor lens?
catatemycaps
Thanks, donpachi!
Those led bezels have no lens at all. I use diffused leds, though.
I ordered them from this Finnish dealer.

http://www.vekoy.com/product_info.php?products_id=14817
Paradigm X
Hey cool, i just got some 'natural' aluminium panels too.

They look awesome! With those knobs too, i was thinking aluminium knobs too. Where did you get those?

Cheers
Ben
catatemycaps
Paradigm X: Hey, thanks! Yeah, I like that silvery shine of natural aluminum. They are anodized too so they are a bit more scratch and stain proof in that regard.

I got the knobs from a local dealer here in Finland and they were a good price too. They have an aluminum outer shell and a plastic insert. Only the big knobs on VCOs and the SVF fine tune are solid aluminum.

http://www.vekoy.com/product_info.php?products_id=17703
I see the price has gone up a little since then.

My goal was to achieve that look some audio equipment had in the 70's.

[Edit] Some spelling errors
Orb
Catatemycaps - thanks for the vekoy.com link. Ever since I moved here I've been thinking, "There must be something in Finland that's like RS or Farnell or Mouser, only, you know, Finnish." And here it is. Kiitos! thumbs up

Nice system, too. I don't normally like aluminium in 5u for some reason, but with the alu knobs yours manages to look awesome. And covering the wooden rails to match is simple but brilliant.

Now show us what it sounds like! 8_)
catatemycaps
Orb: Thank you so much and you are welcome.smile

vekoy.com and partco.biz are the ones I like to frequent.
www.uraltone.fi is a good place too. They seem to carry some items that others have discontinued (i.e. transistors and ICs) and they have a great selection of tubes as well in case you are into building tube amps. wink

Covering the rails with alu tape has two functions: obviously for the looks but also to connect the panels to earthing.

Sound samples may be on their way if I ever get some reasonable means to do that. smile
iPhone's mic does not really do justice to Tony's excellent analog circuit designs.

[Edit] being such a butterfingers I need to edit my messages on a regular basis
Paradigm X
catatemycaps wrote:
Paradigm X: Hey, thanks! Yeah, I like that silvery shine of natural aluminum. They are anodized too so they are a bit more scratch and stain proof in that regard.

I got the knobs from a local dealer here in Finland and they were a good price too. They have an aluminum outer shell and a plastic insert. Only the big knobs on VCOs and the SVF fine tune are solid aluminum.

http://www.vekoy.com/product_info.php?products_id=17703
I see the price has gone up a little since then.

My goal was to achieve that look some audio equipment had in the 70's.

[Edit] Some spelling errors

Many thanks

Dont suppose you can translate the manufacturers name, i cant figure it out. My finnish is ... non existant.

Very cool man. I got my first batch of natural panels, with purple infill, from the beast they look amazing.

Look forward to hearing some demos.

Cheers
Ben
catatemycaps
I would gladly tell the manufacturer's name if the good people at Vaasan Elektroniikkakeskus had provided that piece of information. smile

I tried to google the manufacturer by the product code but it seems that it is something they came up with and not the manufacturer's code. very frustrating

Mmm....purple infill... Drunken Homer Simpson
Socket wiring on my modules are purple.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1