MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

V'Amp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author V'Amp
box of monsters
Good to know that it can be opened up, thanks! grin
mmm
box of monsters wrote:
Hi, i'm thinking of picking up a FOH V'amp though i was wondering if anyone can tell me if the VCA side is of a logarithmic or linear response? (i'm assuming it's log).

Also, do one of the knobs work like the gain knob in Doepfer's A-130/A-131? As i often use it opened up for drones.

Thanks in advance.

It's linear. The Mod 2 is expecting a logarithmic EG. That's also why it "bleeds" if you put an LFO into that input. You're opening and closing the VCA throughput at the LFO rate on the unbalanced modulator gain cell portion. Which is what it's suppose to do. 5V it's open, 0V it's off.
Putting a gate into the second jack essentially holds the VCA mod 1 input at 0V until the gate is active. At which point, it opens up the VCA and the secondary mod source sums/differences the gain cell.

The center "Offset" control is your 0-5V input to the unbalanced gain cell summation bus. Therefore, it can open up the VCA for drones. This voltage parallels the Mod 1 input to the summation bus.

Mod 1 is the balanced modulator. The inputs are switched to ground when nothing is in the jacks. It's easy to find the full ring mod position that way. With a signal going through the VCA, turn the Mod 1 control until the output goes to 0. The signal has been supressed and the RM (+/- 0Hz=0)
provides no sidebands. Plugging your modulation source into the mod 1 input jack will give you just the sum and difference frequencies without the original signal.

G
chvad
Just wanted to chime in with some V'Amp love... picked it up a few weeks ago... didn't need another VCA.. I had 8 already but I have to say this has been my "go to" ever since. Not sure if it's the sound or the layout or what but when im patching that's the first vca i head to! awesome stuff!
computer controlled
thumbs up
lilakmonoke
being a devoted f(h) fan im thinking about getting one. just because i would have all the f(h) modules then ... main question is: what does it sound like? can somebody compare it to something? i know vcas are difficult to describe but when i use them they alle have a distinct sound.
mmm
lilakmonoke wrote:
being a devoted f(h) fan im thinking about getting one. just because i would have all the f(h) modules then ... main question is: what does it sound like? can somebody compare it to something? i know vcas are difficult to describe but when i use them they alle have a distinct sound.

The VCA/Ring mod has been around for about 40-some years.
The lineage is:
EML-PMS-MMM-FoH
EML used essentially the same VCA circuit from their EML 101 when they designed the VCA for the Performance Music Systems Syntar in 1980. Mattson turned the Syntar VCA circuit into a module for the Mini Modular "Phoenix Series" VCA module, FoH licensed the VCA circuit for the V'Amp.

So, look for EML VCA reviews, Syntar VCA reviews, Mattson VCA reviews and you'll be fairly well informed on the VCA.
Bakeneko
I recently ordered a V'Amp, it landed this morning and I am very pleased with its functionality. My first piece of f(h) kit , it won't be my last. That is my evening sorted.

cheers
JakeGrover
I just want to say that I recently had to seek tech support from FoH and their customer service is excellent!

They repaired my V'Amp and shipped it back to me for free. Thanks so much! I Will definitely keep buying FoH modules!!!

Oh and the V'amp (as has been noted above) is awesome!
mmm
JakeGrover wrote:
I just want to say that I recently had to seek tech support from FoH and their customer service is excellent!

They repaired my V'Amp and shipped it back to me for free. Thanks so much! I Will definitely keep buying FoH modules!!!

Oh and the V'amp (as has been noted above) is awesome!

It's a cool little widget.
EarlJemmings
Hey, so I just got a V'amp, floor model from a store.
I seem to be getting just +/- 1v signal out of it when using Mod1? This is using both the two +/- 5v from Hertz Donut, or both the +/-10v from the dual borg.

Offset, input, output all full clockwise

I can get it up to almost 5v when using mod2 with a 10v source, but it seems to halve the voltage. Whereas using my mmvca as a ring mod it seems to have it equal with the original signal or doubled.

But yeah, 1v is just rediculously low, I can get a PB to stick beside it, but does this seem like proper behaviour? I do recall the IMP having a pretty low output as well.
HeWhoWantsJeans
EarlJemmings wrote:
I seem to be getting just +/- 1v signal out of it when using Mod1? This is using both the two +/- 5v from Hertz Donut, or both the +/-10v from the dual borg.

I can get it up to almost 5v when using mod2 with a 10v source, but it seems to halve the voltage. Whereas using my mmvca as a ring mod it seems to have it equal with the original signal or doubled.

But yeah, 1v is just rediculously low, I can get a PB to stick beside it, but does this seem like proper behaviour? I do recall the IMP having a pretty low output as well.

Earl,

I don't have any answer for you on that one, so I sent Flight a message. I'll do what I can to try and get an answer your way.

Thanks,
Erik
flight
EarlJemmings wrote:

Hmm, how exactly do you have it set up? What is on the Input channel?

And yeah, IMP and V'Amp can have low outputs. It's a tradeoff that comes with those designs, because the outputs vary significantly with the settings. I had the choice of leaving them as-is or including an AGC, which affects the sound a lot. I agree, however, 1V is ridiculously low. Let's see what we can figure out here.
EarlJemmings
flight wrote:
Hmm, how exactly do you have it set up? What is on the Input channel?

And yeah, IMP and V'Amp can have low outputs. It's a tradeoff that comes with those designs, because the outputs vary significantly with the settings. I had the choice of leaving them as-is or including an AGC, which affects the sound a lot. I agree, however, 1V is ridiculously low. Let's see what we can figure out here.

Thanks Flight, on the input I've got a sine from Hertz Donut, a +/-5V signal. Its mod oscillator, same thing being sent to Mod 1.
I've found from the thread in the Euro forum that sending a +7V offset to Env or mod in will bring the output up to about +/-4V, same with sending it an envelope or additional modulator.
However, just using Env in as the modulator input only brings it up to about 3V.

So it's workable, and does sound great, does it seem like proper working order to you?
flight
EarlJemmings wrote:
*snip*

Thanks Flight, on the input I've got a sine from Hertz Donut, a +/-5V signal. Its mod oscillator, same thing being sent to Mod 1.
I've found from the thread in the Euro forum that sending a +7V offset to Env or mod in will bring the output up to about +/-4V, same with sending it an envelope or additional modulator.
However, just using Env in as the modulator input only brings it up to about 3V.

So it's workable, and does sound great, does it seem like proper working order to you?
Yeah, that does sound about right. It's a funky module with some very odd behavior, which is kind of a theme for me. hihi The main concept with it is that it can go from amplitude modulation to ring modulation - and all points between - with the turn of a knob, so the standard features suffered a bit. I covered that a bit in the manual. All that said, I don't recall it being particularly quiet, but it's been a while. If I still have one, I'll dig it out and dink around with it to see what comes out.
EarlJemmings
flight wrote:
Yeah, that does sound about right. It's a funky module with some very odd behavior, which is kind of a theme for me. hihi The main concept with it is that it can go from amplitude modulation to ring modulation - and all points between - with the turn of a knob, so the standard features suffered a bit. I covered that a bit in the manual. All that said, I don't recall it being particularly quiet, but it's been a while. If I still have one, I'll dig it out and dink around with it to see what comes out.

hihi I certainly don't mind quirks, and it's not a deal breaker for me or anything. I couldn't find any mention of a low output, so I was just worried my floor model wasn't up to par. But now its documented if anyone is wondering the same, and I will continue to enjoy this module!

I really enjoy our designs, hope to see more from you, whenever you're back at it Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4