MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

patch clarification from module description
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author patch clarification from module description
numbertalk
I was reading about the Control 1, 2 & 3 module and Tony describes this type of patch:

You can use these voltages to control other modules within a modular synthesiser. For example, you can add offsets to CV inputs to increase the range of existing modules....you can deliberately cause audio inputs to go into asymmetrical distortion by forcing the input amplifiers into overdrive.

So would you mix this DC offset voltage with the audio signal (into a VCA, for example) or would you connect it to the CV? Seems like if you connect to the CV input to a VCF you could simply extend the frequency range (or not?) but perhaps with a VCA? Mixing it with the audio signal seems like it would not work because a lot of modules have a DC blocking cap at the signal input.

As you can tell I'm just not sure. Any clarification appreciated. Could (and will) just try it out but would like to understand what is happening exactly also.
Synthbuilder
numbertalk wrote:
So would you mix this DC offset voltage with the audio signal (into a VCA, for example)

Yes. thumbs up
numbertalk wrote:
Mixing it with the audio signal seems like it would not work because a lot of modules have a DC blocking cap at the signal input.

Some modules are indeed AC coupled and therefore have a DC blocking cap.

But quite a few do not. Both the Oakley VCAs, the VCA in the ADSR, the Discon and the SVF can be forced into asymmetric distortion this way. The COTA and Superladder have a DC coupled audio input stage so you could in theory overdrive the input stages too with an additional DC offset, but the filter core itself is AC coupled.

I should add at this point I don't tend to use the effect that often. The Discon is way more flexible for producing asymmetric distortions.

Tony
numbertalk
Excellent, thanks for the clarification!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1