MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alternative to Raul?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Alternative to Raul?
lloydcole
OK, let me rephrase that. Loving and learning from the James Cigler videos, the John L Rice videos, the Surachai videos, and many others I wonder if similar exist in Doepfer land? Right now it seems when I look for instructional videos on Doepfer modules I find only Raul.
Dofkev
Yeah, Raul should be held completely accountable for all the time he is wasting, seeing as he is receiving thousands of dollars from corporate sponsorships and perhaps millions of public grant money. The fact that he is forcing everyone to watch his demos is unacceptable, perhaps criminal.

Really dude?

Maybe you shold start doing demos yourself since you seem know how it should be done. I would still watch Raul though.
ddoyen
nope. figure it out yourself.
thingstocome
very frustrating
Karl_Joseph
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, please consider when and where it is appropriate to voice those opinions.
Matos
Well, you could always make your own. Our simply read the great doepfer manuals that dieter puts out for most of his modules. While Raul may have a slower pace to his videos, it's a great overview that many enjoy. No one minds differing opinions, but your post comes off as overly harsh and negative. Making, editing, converting, and uploading takes a ridiculous amount of time. We should all give thanks to the untold masses of wigglers out there uploading videos. WMD and SSF both make fantastic videos of their modules. Perhaps you should direct your venom towards the manufacturers that provide neither manuals nor videos. Or simply enjoy the fact that we live in a golden age of information exchange. w00t If you have any questions, most of us are all to happy to help.
L.C.O.
lloydcole wrote:
I know some around here don't like to see or hear negative posts but I think I just reached the end of my rope with Raul. Any writer who takes 15 pages to say what he could say in 2 or 3 is a bad writer, even if he does know his stuff... Raul is a terrible video presenter.
Are there alternatives in Doepfer videoland?

Wow.

That is actually quite incredible, that you would go out of our way to complain about the fact that Raul produced countles video tutorials that NOBODY asked him to do! I mean really: have you ran out of things to complain about?
You are not forced to watch these, are you?

Amazing...
thingstocome

we're not worthy
causticlogic
I don't mind negative posts if someone has a point.
If you don't like his demo videos, don't watch them.
Simple as that...
Should I make a thread about how your website has too many pastels? Of course not.
3M-10
Personally, I like Raul's videos. He puts a huge amount of time and effort into them and I think they're great.

Perhaps you're looking at this from the point of view of a very experienced synth person. Informational videos do have different value to people depending on whether the viewer is a beginner or expert.

3M-10
xart
I love it ... Dross musos from " Lloyd cole " (Cole's parents were golf club stewards thumbs up ) to aphex twin and even tortoise are members of this forum and contribute zero point zero ... They love to buy and sell modules, show up at our synth meets, steal our techniques and rip shit from the dopey know nothing hobbyist noise musicks underground! I love the interwebz!

Douche.

Ps: thanks Raul thumbs up
filmersam
Raul is such a champ. I've learnt so much from his videos, even tutorials of modules I don't own.
Not only Raul but JLR and all the great manufacturers who go to the great effort to make tutorials have widened my appretiation for the modular community. I have a deep respect for these people who've invested their lives, while I'm feeling a bit useless still, with nothing yet to contribute. But I try to take part in positive discussion when I can.

How do you feel welcome in this place when your intentions are based around self interest? I can't stand knowing that some of my favourite musicians are trolls on the forum and not giving anything back, when they so easily could.

Rant/>
lloydcole
Well, certainly I'm not going to respond to someone who thinks my parents' employment is of relevance here, but maybe you might want to do a little research before you believe that I have contributed nothing here and then comment based upon that assumption.
Regarding the idea that only positive criticism is good for this or any other community I offer this link - http://www.barbaraehrenreich.com/brightsidedexcerpt.htm
I have received a few rotten reviews over the years. Some of them were spiteful and worthless. Some of them were quite insightful.
xart
filmersam wrote:
I can't stand knowing that some of my favourite musicians are trolls on the forum and not giving anything back, when they so easily could.

This is the dirty little sekret of the interwebz... All of your heroes steal from YOU. So watch what you post thumbs up
Dcramer
I love Raul's videos. He takes the time show all the features, audio and video are always good, and he uses audio examples that clearly demonstrate the functions he is explaining. A real asset to the community. Guinness ftw!
Cata
Real talk, Raul fucking owns and if it wasn't for his videos I probably wouldn't have gotten into modular nearly as much as I have! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Tooths
After watching a Raul video imho there is no need to watch another video on that particular Doepfer module. Extremely thorough videos!

Thanks for all the hard work hermano! applause
Kent
Hello Lloyd,

Please don't go back and redact your posts after the fact. Stick by your guns or make your apologies in a subsequent post in the same thread. Please keep the continuity. Repeat offenders do end up having the privilege of editing their posts revoked.

For what it is worth, I too find it impossible to sit through one of Raul's videos. I'm sure that there are others that feel likewise. There. Now you have some company. But just stick to your fucking guns, man!
lloydcole
Kent wrote:
Hello Lloyd,

Please don't go back and redact your posts after the fact. Stick by your guns or make your apologies in a subsequent post in the same thread. Please keep the continuity. Repeat offenders do end up having the privilege of editing their posts revoked.

For what it is worth, I too find it impossible to sit through one of Raul's videos. I'm sure that there are others that feel likewise. There. Now you have some company. But just stick to your fucking guns, man!

Kent,
The purpose of my post was to ask for help looking for alternatives to Raul. I did not change the title, but clearly my premise offended some folk. It seemed appropriate to edit. I have no interest in arguing with Raul's fans. Clearly his work has had a positive impact. Fair enough.
If it's contrary to site etiquette to edit a post as I did, it should be possible for me to delete it then. No? I certainly don't want to spend my evening 'ignoring' folk.
filmersam
I'm sure Raul's controversial techniques have been whined about in another thread.
Some seriously depressed wigglers out there obviously?
lloydcole
filmersam wrote:
I'm sure Raul's controversial techniques have been whined about in another thread.
Some seriously depressed wigglers out there obviously?

Can you read?
There is no whining or depression here. Just a request for suggestions if an alternative to Raul's videos might be out there. Admittedly worded rather harshly, initially. Edited immediately, possibly illegally it seems. Oh, well.
John Noble
I embed Raul's and others' videos in the database, and I welcome submissions--if you make or run across something good at Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud, just drop me a line with the URL and I'll take a look/listen.

I'm not Raul's prime audience, but I do know I've learned something from every video of his I've watched--and that's more than I can say for a lot of "demos." I post his videos and some of the makers' "official" demos without question; everything else I review for relevance.
a scanner darkly
I would also encourage people to post links to videos in the List of Eurorack Videos thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48946

I should try and update it more often but I do keep updating it semi regularly. Would be helpful though if people also posted new videos in the thread or PMd me the links.

There are several Doepfer videos in the list not produced by Raul, but he should be really commended on the incredible amount of work he puts into contributing to the community.
freeyerheel
raul didnt exist when i got my doepfer basic system but i found deiters book on his modules to be precise and informative, and the fact that you can go to any module in the book and get examples, patches, and descriptive information made learning easy. if you dont have the A-100 book do youself a favor! and now watch raul and read! not to mention all the euro rack how to vids. its amazing how fast the resources are accumulating even just in the last 2 years or so seems like there are way more resources and how to's! my hats off to anyone who writes good references and or who makes vids showing examples of this stuff! and always a hot shout out to muff's for being the ultimate in synth reference!
infradead
rtfm?

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/manual/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5