MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

filtrex 2 first impresions.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author filtrex 2 first impresions.
bcitral
Well the filtrex is up and running with an internal transformer.

Ive built 3 or 4 filtrex 1's. Maybe my version 2 isn't built to an exact spec so this mini review (if you can call it that) is subjective. Disclaimer.... my filtrex may be a piece of crap
Its been a while since I used my 1 as its boxed away awaiting a new studio move.

The version 2 mixer section seems better laid out.
The filter has a slightly different character to the original. Version 1 is moog through and through. Version 2 to my ears (and I may get shot down for this) has a little Roland junoish hint in there. I prefer the version 1 filter but both sound great.

Thanks to Tony for a great new design and lovely documentation. A standalone which is a pleasure to build. applause applause
Synthbuilder
Many thanks for your feedback and kind words.

bcitral wrote:
The version 2 mixer section seems better laid out.

Yeah, I got Paul Nagle to review the first version and he suggested a change to the mixer section.

bcitral wrote:
The filter has a slightly different character to the original. Version 1 is moog through and through. Version 2 to my ears (and I may get shot down for this) has a little Roland junoish hint in there. I prefer the version 1 filter but both sound great.

That's interesting. They are both the same core circuit but the resonance is done differently and the matched transistor pairs are of a different type. I wouldn't have expected too much difference in the overall sound of the unit. But the sound of the ladder filter is very much dependant on the level of the signal going into it. This, I think, will have a far greater effect on the sound than the changes to the filter design. So it may be that you are feeding it with a different signal level. Generally, the lower signal the cleaner, and perhaps more Rolandy, it will sound.

Tony
bcitral
I noticed with the version 1, the signal saturates better to my ears with the increase to signal levels. The vers 2 has a more in control feel to it. version 1 is far more unruley (in a good way).

.........BUT, I have only listened to the vers 2 through a guitar amp so don't take this too seriously. d'oh!

Still very impressed though.

B
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1