MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Second small cabinet power
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Second small cabinet power
Scorchi
Hi all

I'm about to start stage 2 of my modular and have hit upon a potential problem with power feed to Dizzy in second cabinet.

I will have 2 19" cabinets, as at home I can only stack them vertically but at work I can use them side by side (which I prefer).

The problem is the link wire from P.S.U. board to dizzy is stated as a maximum of 30cm in builders guide. In order to get to 2nd Dizzy in second cabinet it may have to be longer to accommodate side by side and vertical arrangement.

Can I get away with a longer lead as I'm using a Yamaha PA-30 supply and have my PSU board on a 4u 19" panel with the panel being used as heat sink?

Also is there a problem with having a long link to one dizzy and a very short link to the other dizzy.

Thanks in advance.
Synthbuilder
Scorchi wrote:
Can I get away with a longer lead as I'm using a Yamaha PA-30 supply and have my PSU board on a 4u 19" panel with the panel being used as heat sink?

The key is keeping the overall resistance in the wires to be as small as possible. So if you can't make the wire short, then make it thick. So use a heavier cable to carry the power from one cabinet to another. I've used that four way control cable you can get from electrical suppliers. It's designed for central heating systems and usually comes in grey or white.

Scorchi wrote:
Also is there a problem with having a long link to one dizzy and a very short link to the other dizzy.

Probably not - if the long one is made of a thick cable.

Tony
Scorchi
Thanks Tony. Yep that makes complete sense as usual smile.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1