MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Order] Frequency Central Power PCBs! (Build doc added)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author [Order] Frequency Central Power PCBs! (Build doc added)
frequencycentral
Update 5th September 2013:

PCBs now in stock at £10 GBP each plus shipping. Please email me via my website.

Build doc: http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/FC-Power- Build-Doc.pdf

Build doc includes full linkage to Tayda parts used, I just did a basket at Tayda, total cost is $5.69 before shipping. applause

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

MFOS style wallwart +/-12V supply using the heatsinks (and other stuff) that Tayda sell. Rock solid!

I'll upload the PNP and a build doc later if anyone wants to roll their own. Might even do a run of fabbed PCBs - I need a few more of these myself.

dmitri
love screaming goo yo hyper Guinness ftw! 8_) applause we're not worthy MY ASS IS BLEEDING It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Frikkin Slick !
TOPLEL
weird i just made an adjustable +-15V LM317 based supply from tayda parts, almost exactly the same layout but on vero. at first i thought i uploaded a pic of my supply while being drunk or something like that.
reignbear
super cool!

@TOPLEL what's the output per rail of the one you built?
seanpark
i would love pnp and docs... spent hours yesterday wiring and housing an old power one. wiring seemed fine but after a few minutes i saw a puff of magic smoke... hopefully it can be restored but i need a bench supply in the meantime!
TOPLEL
reignbear wrote:
super cool!

@TOPLEL what's the output per rail of the one you built?

I have no clue

I will use a 2x15V@1.67A transformer, the regulators are rated for 1.5A per rail. Despite that on the CGS site Ken quotes only a few hundred mA-s for this type of supply.

I will use it to power a single Ikea Gorm worth of modules which is 10 MOTM sized modules in my case but since i build everything in 2U width it is more like 5 modules per case. I don't think i will ever draw more than 300mA from it.
Memory_Leak
Rick I would be interested in some fabbed PCBs for sure !
neilbaldwin
Nice one Rick thumbs up
theabsent
This has been on my to do list for about 2 years now : )
frequencycentral
Here's a quickie build doc:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/967492/FC%20Power%20II/FC%20Power% 20July13.pdf

Actually works fine on a 9VAC wallwart, which also means the 4700uF 25V caps are further away from their limits.
frequencycentral
Ok....as this thing is so close to the MFOS wallwart supply I thought I'd ask for Ray's blessing before considering doing a run of fabbed PCBs. Ray just emailed me back and says go for it! So...fabbed run coming...I think I'll add the option to include a 5V supply too. Any interest?
regenbot
interested for sure thumbs up
raisinbag
YUPPERS!
qfactor
5V too? Sure!! nanners
Why not since those 6 pins above +12V are just "hanging around" there for nothing! ;D
Definitely interested in the PCB too! thumbs up
monno
Absolutely interested and +1 on the 5V option too.
kcr
I'd buy one.
joshuagoran
It's motherfucking bacon yo do you have an idea of the mA for each rail that this can safely handle? I looked around the post and build docs but didn't see such figures.

I think this is great to give folks a simple DIY option for smallish cases!

Ignorant question: you would need a significantly different circuit to run this on DC voltage, right?
Dogue
joshuagoran wrote:
It's motherfucking bacon yo do you have an idea of the mA for each rail that this can safely handle? I looked around the post and build docs but didn't see such figures.

I may be interested depending upon the answer to this. Nice to have a small, inexpensive, easy, DIY power supply option.
frequencycentral
Still testing for exact figures. At the moment I'm running a 2 x VCO/VCF/VCA/2 x ADSR monosynth voice from it. It's going to be suitable for 3U x 84HP I reckon, depending on how you fill it. Nice little skiff supply, bench supply, testing supply, monosynth supply...

...and no, a completely different circuit would be needed to run off a DC wallwart.
Monobass
yeah would love a PCB for a test supply thumbs up
sammy123
I would be interested in one as well.

Thanks.
cleaninglady
Great Stuff Rick !

I'd eb interested in these in 15V as well as 12V.

Also having a Euro Power Header and Molex Header option at the output would be great.

Would it be possible to do a 15V version ?
frequencycentral
+/-15V is do-able, use a 12VAC wallwart and 7815/7915 instead of 7812/7912.

Sorry to be Eurocentric, but I've made the decision not include other header options for a couple of reasons:

- don't want to increase the PCB size as currently it just fits on the back of a 8HP panel, which is a handy option to have - you could have power, midimplant, associated sockets and a few multiples on 8HP.

- there are pads on the PCB for both Euro and non-Euro users to use ribbon cable to break out to to the busboard of their choice.

Ray reckons the supply is good for ~450ma per rail from a 1000mA wallwart. The 5V rails uses 78L05 and is good for 100ma.
cleaninglady
Thanks Rick, yes I have built and posted about Euro to Molex connector cables before. I'll do a few more now. Count me in for two of these. w00t
raisinbag
So if we found a wall wort with 2a rating could the circuit supply more juice? Or will the v-reg go Dead Banana I was hoping to use this to supply the L1 vocoder, but sounds like I may have to fine something else. I would still grab or two I'm sure, small supplies are always good to have around!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10