MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

why is the ardcore not more loved than maths?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author why is the ardcore not more loved than maths?
HIMA
on the face of it, this module looks to be able to pretty much do anything. why is it not hugely popular? I'm thinking to get one so it would help to know...
Taylor
I am not hugely familiar with the Ardcore but I have programmed Arduino stuff for modular before. IMO a device that can do lots of stuff is great. If it needs to be hooked up to a computer and reprogrammed to access all of what it can do, it suddenly becomes useless to me, as I already have modular programs on my computer that I could use if I wasn't trying to stay away from the computer.

To me the appeal of the modular is its immediacy. Anything that requires the use of the computer kind of negates that.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
ardcore is to maths as hula hoop is to meatball sub. Completely different modules.

You can program the ardcore to function LIKE a maths, but it wont be a maths.
Entrainer
I can only speak for myself, but:

Maths is a self-contained swiss-army knife, Adcore requires a computer to
be booted and a back-and-forth movement to change functions.

If the Adcore had preset/program memory and 20-30 cool little programs
inside, I'd probably consider one. I wanted a modular because I like
being computer independent at times.
exper
Entrainer wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but:

Maths is a self-contained swiss-army knife, Adcore requires a computer to
be booted and a back-and-forth movement to change functions.

That's pretty much it. I started my modular to turn off the computer! Same reason I don't want the Expert Sleepers modules. I'm sure Ardcore does really great things, and, as Entrainer said, if there were a way to store a bunch of functions for recall, and if it only needed connection to a computer rarely, I'd consider one. Pamela's Workout and Rene are about the most "menu diving" I want at this point!
lloydcole
exper wrote:
I started my modular to turn off the computer!

Amen
kuxaan-sum
Entrainer wrote:

This is a great idea for an expander module...
Matos
exper
Says the man with 4722 posts! applause Dead Banana
I have two ardcores. Great modules. I change the patches every few weeks to a month. I use them to fill in voids that I don't have filled in my system. Having two arps is melodic madness. Need another noise ring? Bam, twenty seconds later your golden. Electrons are electrons. I get my fix anyway that I can.
mudlogger
They are the most underrated modules in Euro and are a CV powerhouse.
Its the monome of the modular world.
Underrated, partly from the awful colour (i replaced mine with an excellent greyscale panel) and the need to hooking upto a computer.....for 20 secs!

I think some people may be getting confused - you only upload a program (sketch) 1 time. After that it saves that sketch on powerdown, so you don't need to keep a computer hooked up to all the time - only when you want to change a sketch. I use it to fill in the gaps of stuff i don't have.

There are also a couple of sketches that hold upto 4 presets in 1. When you power up you can choose one of the 4. You can edit the sketch yourself to load up 4 of your choice.

Were else can one module be Random, Envelope, Trigger Delay, Arpeggiator, Quantizer, CV recorder, Sequencer, Euclidian Sequencer, Gate Delay, Comparitor, Slope Detector, Switch , Logic, LFO, ASR Shift Registor......and thats just a few from 1 guy....

http://20objects.com/ardcore/
exper
Matos wrote:
exper
Says the man with 4722 posts! applause Dead Banana
I have two ardcores. Great modules. I change the patches every few weeks to a month. I use them to fill in voids that I don't have filled in my system. Having two arps is melodic madness. Need another noise ring? Bam, twenty seconds later your golden. Electrons are electrons. I get my fix anyway that I can.

haha true. But in my defense, many of them are from when I'm at work. Can't wiggle there I'm afraid. That's where ipad music apps come in! wink
SunSpots
I sound lame but I could not buy it because of the panel
screaming goo yo

It is innovative. I see the appeal. 20 sec load time shouldn't get ur panties in a bunch... But then again neither should an ugly panel on a beautiful bird baby!
Matos
We need to get you a euro lunchbox then full of intellejel! Then you can wiggle anywhere! w00t
mudlogger
SunSpots wrote:
I sound lame but I could not buy it because of the panel
screaming goo yo

SunSpots
Yes. A million times better. I know! lol
nf
I have had my Ardcore loaded up with my Ardbug random gates/CV sketch for the last few months, and it's fantastic. I usually bring it in on most patches. I'd like to get a Wogglebug to free my Ardcore up for other duties!

I keep meaning to write more sketches and play with it more, but like others I find my modular time is also no-computer time.
ikkini
I also began modular to get rid of Max/MSP and my computer, BUT I love my Ardcore !
As said, I just plug it when I need to change the program which is very rare, but I know that when I need a module that is not in my case, the Ardcore will become that !
I also have a Maths and when I need something I'm not used to, I also look at my computer to find the pdf files with complex patches !!! Dead Banana

(and I love the front panel of the Ardcore !)
windspirit
I kindof feel like 4 knobs is not enough, couldnt they throw a button in there somewhere? Did they really use up all of the arduinos i/o?
ikkini
You should read the interview I did with Dan Snazelle (in english at the end of the article) :

http://synthemodulaire.com/post/52937137522/interview-de-dan-snazelle- de-snazzy-fx

'2013….this summer we are releasing the second run of the always flexible ARDCORE!! Woo hoo. And we are releasing an expander for it.
It adds 8 gate outs.
It adds two bi-polar CV/Audio INPUTS with Attenuators
And it adds two RC filtered PWM OUTPUTS (pin 11 and 13)
So you can now do bi-timbral stuff with the Ardcore
And a reset button for the multi-sketches!'
HIMA
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
ardcore is to maths as hula hoop is to meatball sub.

thought a lot about this. hmmm.....

1. they are both 2 words.
2. they both make people happy.
3. they related in that one makes you fat and another makes you thin.
4. they are roughly equivalent in price.
5. they both taste like plastic.
6. both need something inside them to make them work.
eole
hihi

the positive advices makes me want one thumbs up
jtmmorrow
Quote:
inside, I'd probably consider one.

thumbs up
HueMonContact
I've been wanting to get one... I actually like the panel graphics. 20secs isn't bad for downloading a new sketch. It's on my gotta get list.

oh @windspirit great avatar!
SunSpots
but HELL YES to the 20-30 sketch memory on an expander! Can that be done? That would cause me to buy both module and expander AND NEW FACEPLATES immediately.
numan7
exper wrote:
That's pretty much it. I started my modular to turn off the computer!

lol that's about the strangest reason for starting a modular system i have ever read, exper!

cheers
exper
Why do you think so?

After spending all this time on Reaktor, Nord Modular, etc, all things emulating modular synthesis but lacking any tangible connection, I wanted to 'play' something again. Yes, I still use Ableton to record stuff, but I've never had more fun and satisfaction than when I sold my Nord g2 engine and embarked on real hardware modular synthesis.

I'd say that's a pretty great reason!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3