MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Starting up a Paia system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Starting up a Paia system
bryantcheramie
Hey guys, my friend is starting up a DIY Paia system. I've had my euro for a while now, but I am not too familiar with the frac stuff (particularly Paia) to help him out with. Would I be able to get any good starting off tips from you guys? What is a good solution for powering a frac system? He wants to build his own, mainly because of cost? Any additional info about Paia that he might want to know before he makes the plunge?
Rob_C
Well, to start, is he interested in purchasing the P9700S system (midi, VCO, VCF, VCA, Frac rack)? If so, the system is powered through the midi module by the included wall wart. No additional Frac power supply needed. But if you want a dedicated rack mount power module, there is the the 9771-15 module.
fireclown
9700 is a neat beast. an excellent place to start. I wouldnt waste space on MIDI the VCO, VCF and VCA modules are all worth the space and time. Feature packed squealy and screechy and unique. throw some attenuators in there ahead of the VCF and youre off!
Tubeampguy
Tell him to also check out FRAC companies www.blacet.com and www.metalbox.com Great FRAC modules that are still in production. thumbs up
bryantcheramie
Thanks guys, we are trying to figure out casing options right now. the website says the panels are 2u. Isn't that format suppose to be in 3u?
Rob_C
Frac module panels are 3U high. The PAIA Fatman, a self contained synth and not part of the modular line, mounts in a 2U high panel.

The PAIA frac rack is enclosed (except of course for the front where the modules go).

For those on a really tight budget (whether Frac or other format), a simple homemade wooden frame can be constructed to hold the modules.
e-grad
Rob_C wrote:
For those on a really tight budget (whether Frac or other format), a simple homemade wooden frame can be constructed to hold the modules.

The 9700S package deal which includes the case and PSU is cheaper than buying the individual modules separately.
Rob_C
e-grad wrote:

The 9700S package deal which includes the case and PSU is cheaper than buying the individual modules separately.

E-grad, thanks for pointing that out. The $63 Frac rack case is almost free when you buy the P9700S package. Though there is no separate power supply unit. The unit is still powered by the wall wart through the Midi2v8 module.
Kyhotay
Don't forget to add the newer 9700 utility modules. They are dollar for dollar outstanding quality & value. They are partially assembled or, if u can no longer hold a soldering iron steady like ne, they can be purchased fully assembled and tested!
unease
I think the MIDI-CV module is really useful but, as said, is somewhat of a space hog. I actually modded my 9700 so that the MIDI-CV module i in the left rack ear. Then I would add some kind of mixer and attenuator module sine that was something I really missed when I only had the 9700.
I also added a Paia spring reverb unit with all panel connections in the right rack ear (the rack ears of Frac is really a waste of space when empty!) and another filter + LFP from EFM. See this post:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1039695#1039695

Paia in general is really cheap and fun to build but the design has its quirks. For me it was a really good way to try out some modular stuff on the cheap and it integrates perfectly with Euro if you want to go that route later.
On the other hand, you could buy some second hand Euro modules and try them out and then sell them with more or less for the same money.

/TOmmy
Rob_C
Unease, that looks great! The Midi2cv8 has acres and acres of free space behind the panel and I considered adding multiples to it or skinnying it to 1U wide. But your Frac ear setup is a much better idea. Can you share some details of your construction? - where did you mount the pcb, how did you make the legend and get it to match, etc.
Kyhotay
Awesome looking system! I would love to be able to access the various MIDI Modes with a panel mount switch. The ear mounted unit looks like just the ticket to do that with.
unease
I mounted the PCB to the backplane of the case so that the MIDI connections and the micro switches can be accessed there, which makes sense to me since I prefer to have the MIDI connections hidden - there's enough cable spaghetti anyway! :-) Then I just put the jacks and the power switch on the front, which is easy since they are not PCB mount. I'll see if I have some pictures of the inside.

I used the original panel/rack ear but added an adhesive laser label to it with the graphics. I actually contacted Paia directly to get the original graphics for the other panels so I could make something similar. I also sprayed some clear lacquer over the label to make it more rugged. You can see that the color is not matching perfectly and the surface is different than the other panels but it works ok I think. It's cheap but works ok, just like the modules themselves! :-)

/TOmmy
Nouadh
could sing for ever about the blacet vco
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1