MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Shbobo Fish - Video Tutorial
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Shbobo Fish - Video Tutorial
bartlebooth
the first in a series of Fish video tutorials is now online here: https://vimeo.com/72120685
mudlogger
brilliant - thanks w00t

i really don't want to have to rely on other peoples patches.
kozepz
Thanks Bartlebooth!
Yeah, I was totally wrong about this, this is awesome! Gonna hit the button hihi
chorus7
Nice Mr Booth!... I went from 0 understanding to 50% understanding but 100% wanting hihi ... Great tutorial...

You sold it! I'm pushing the button...
wednesdayayay
once the concept is grasped it is hard not to order Guinness ftw!

i'm hoping mikey walker is still a thing
ad that it could be connected up to illucia apps thumbs up

thanks for the video I look forward to more

this is a quote from peters blog from a larger post about tunings that should really be devoured it talks about the nume and deno a little bit.

but this applies to the shnth
"And now, I would like to speak of some of the digital tunings I developed for Shbobo, for use on the Shnth device. It all flowed pretty naturally from my analog experience, especially with the triangle oscillator that has two controls: one for the slope/speed, and the other for its bounds. The former control will be called the "nume", for numerator; the latter control is the "deno" for denominator. You see, they two actually come together to make an "alternative" form of expressing pitch than logarithmic 12tone equal temperament, or what might be used in virtual synthesizers, floats which are converted exponentially. The nume/deno system is Just Intonation, and you can of course read Harry Partch's book for more info on that. Also you can see his wonderful misinterpretation/California embellishment of the Ancient Greek kithara. The first program I wrote in this system was called Just Ints, and like the name it only uses the int type, but it can express pitch in actually very fine increments, using only 8 bits for nume and 8 for deno. You can multiply that out and not discounting repeat tones, there are about 64k pitches there. Of course some of them are in very high prime limits, like 197, 199, 211, or 223, so I also developed a way of expressing/modulating the prime limit as you scroll through pitches. There are two ways developed to scroll through pitches: kingal, tuning the nume and deno separately; and queenal, which uses a dictionary of pitches to allow you to scroll through them "chromatically", although with a high prime limit it almost sounds glissando/analog scroll."
Hainbach
That was great! I am starting to get a feel for this. Hope the ship brings my SHNTH soon.
wednesdayayay
something I was just thinking about
I want to try to use the wheel and dust opcodes to do some volume/pan randomized automation
bartlebooth
great, i'm glad it was helpful... working on tut #2 now

wednesdayayay wrote:

i'm hoping mikey walker is still a thing
ad that it could be connected up to illucia apps thumbs up

yes! peter is working on mikey, saw a glimpse of it last week..looks awesome.
wwall
bartlebooth wrote:
the first in a series of Fish video tutorials is now online here: https://vimeo.com/72120685

Thank you! This was very informative. I'm looking forward to more in the series.
windspirit
Awesome! looking forwards to a tutorial on the granular stuff as it seems esoteric to me.
pugix
Thanks for that tutorial. I am really challenged by any sort of drag and drop interface. I'm always dropping things in the wrong places. The tutorial explained how it works and that helps.

I look forward to tutorials about the tuning, which is a most obscure aspect of the shnth to me. The print manual has nothing to explain the sample rate and how it relates to pitch vis-a-vis numerator and denominator. In addition to a video tutorial, some clearly written explanations about this would be useful.
bartlebooth
Fish tutorial #2 is now up: https://vimeo.com/72226053

its a short example using 'string', a karplus-strong type opcode.

Quote:
I look forward to tutorials about the tuning, which is a most obscure aspect of the shnth to me. The print manual has nothing to explain the sample rate and how it relates to pitch vis-a-vis numerator and denominator. In addition to a video tutorial, some clearly written explanations about this would be useful.

will definitely do a tuning one. just to try and answer your question here briefly, with the Shnth the opcode 'srate' sets the fundamental frequency (which is 4 octaves below the *actual* sampling rate). if you want to do tonal stuff then its best to specify the srate using 16-bit numbers, then you can dial it in exactly. meng qi made a very helpful srate calculator which gives the 'short' (16-bit number) for each corresponding note on a standard keyboard, its available on the shbobo forum. so basically the nume and deno of an oscillator specify its pitch relationship to that fundamental based on the just intonation tuning system...so for example a horn with a nume of 96 and a deno of 64 will be a perfect 5th above the fundamental (ie 3:2 ratio), one with a nume of 80 and a deno of 64 will be a major 3rd above it (5:4 ratio), etc. there's a couple of really good websites on just intonation online, i can send you the links if you like. its gets really interesting when you get into the larger prime limits like 11 or 13, then you can explore these really hairy microtonal scales. i'll try to explain all this better in a video and associated forum post but hopefully this will help a bit until then.
wednesdayayay
our fish are not the same hihi

I'm looking at you gwonzer and barcoder

also view

I got caught up in the video and actually said out loud as you were uploading the situation "wait switch the corps around for bar d"

it makes me want to upload a live patching video

I can also imagine live fishing as someone else is playing the shnth

what a wonderful sound that patch is making

thank you again
bartlebooth
wednesdayayay wrote:
our fish are not the same hihi

I'm looking at you gwonzer and barcoder

also view

yeah you need to download Fish 1.2. actually the gwonzer in that version is still 'experimental' but peter has fixed it since then... but there's other new stuff in 1.2 too:

- 'slave' - is a pulse divider/staircase generator with a variable length, so you can modulate which pulse division it outputs (make a touchable divide-by-n comparator, for example). also useful for modelling a stuber. there are 8 slaves.

- 'pulse' is a variable duty cycle pulse wave, its good for sequencing or can be used together with slew to make ASR envelopes (8 pulses)

- srate now puts out audio too so you can put the sound of the actual sampling rate in your patches. can be combined with several slaves, either altogether to make an iron cross like on the cocoquantus or individually like the touch nodes on the cocostuber.

- view menu adds tooltips ie mouseover help on the calanque. also you can export your texts with square brackets now (pugix had asked for this).

those are most of the big ones, i think there were a few minor bug fixes too...definitely download it!
bartlebooth
Fish tutorial #3, this one's about the embedded granulars fog, haze and swamp

http://vimeo.com/74026354
bartlebooth
sungja wrote:
Thanks for another tutorial. What`s with fish crashing sometimes? Should I load latest rev?

well you should definitely use the latest rev. if you're not already (shnth483, fish 1.3). are you on mac? we're aware of an issue with the USB communication with Fish on macs, peter is looking into it. if you are seeing any other issues then i encourage you to post about it on the shbobo technical forum ( http://www.shbobo.net/forum/ ), peter does monitor that and uses it to form his bug-fix list.
windspirit
Been hoping to decode the grainular codes, thanks a lot!
krz
Is there going to be more instalments to this series?
windspirit
Yes please!
bartlebooth
sure, what would you like? i've been wanting to do a justints tutorial, that program is rad but unfortunately seems to get neglected
numan7
a justints + sequencing tutorial would be really awesome! we're not worthy

cheers
krz
O yeah!
taxhaven
plz more tutorials for new shnth users in 2015!!
Kalerne
New Shnth user here !

Is there any new tutorial planned ?
Kaki_Yuga
Yes, I love the tutorials! Please continue with them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2