MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurofrac?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Eurofrac?
Summa
This question has probably been asked several times in this forum but since I'm too lazy to do the proper search I ask you guys with both Frac and Eurorack systems:

How compatible are these systems, is there any danger in connecting the two? It seems like the Eurorack cables fit in some modules and perhaps not the other way around? What modules in Frac is a must have and perhaps there's something that only exists in Frac?

the reason I'm asking is that I got a pre-buildt PAiA 9700 system for 80€ a while back and wanted to try some stuff but don't want to kill them if they can't connect properly.
tuj
100% compatible, provided your frac stuff uses 1/8" cables. Some people use banana's, which is a little trickier, but still compatible as well.
Summa
Ah? great thanks I thought there was some difference in voltages between systems, but hey then I guess I have some more modules to add to my rig smile
Kent
In very few cases, some things require a +10v in order to have full voltage control range. The original Blacet Quad VCA comes to mind although it can be modified for Euro's more common +/-5 V.
KNYST
euro power is +/-12V and frac is +/-15V (usually).
rezzn8r
Your 9700 should use the same type of patch cords as your euro stuff.
As KNYST says, you will require separate power supplies/racks/cases for each format.
You should find the ground point on both power supplies and connect them together for a common ground.

Summa wrote:
What modules in Frac is a must have and perhaps there's something that only exists in Frac?

The first module that comes to mind is a Blacet Binary Zone. Also check out some of the Metalbox/CGS stuff. The Burst Generator, and Bi-n-tic come to mind.
e-grad
Blacet Hex Zone/Seq. Switch; SuperVCA; VCO (VC octave switching; VC wave shape).

I love the by now deleted Final Filtre but many don't dig it.
Summa
Thanks guys! The 9700 has the midi/power modules so it's separate already, I'll check grounding when I get both systems side by side.

Blacet and Metalbox you say, I hope they make fully built modules. I don't want to spend hours of soldering on these, the 9700 looks like a messy spiderweb or something... but I guess as long as it sounds good it could look any way it want smile
msdosmedicin
Funny I was just thinking about this, and guess what? I'm from sweden too smile
I'm really interested in Metal Box modules but have been kind of hesistant as I'm based around eurorack...
Kyhotay
I'm mostly Frac with a few Euro modules that are mind warping. I love Metalbox/CGS stuff! They are a great addition to the basic PAiA/Blacet modules.
ignatius
msdosmedicin wrote:
Funny I was just thinking about this, and guess what? I'm from sweden too smile
I'm really interested in Metal Box modules but have been kind of hesistant as I'm based around eurorack...

i used to have Modcan A, frac metalbox, and euro all playing well together. the metalbox builds are nice and he's a pleasure to deal with. the 8008 bassdrum SLAMS so hard.
Tubeampguy
Kyhotay wrote:
I'm mostly Frac with a few Euro modules that are mind warping. I love Metalbox/CGS stuff! They are a great addition to the basic PAiA/Blacet modules.

I fully agree! thumbs up
e-grad
In my book there's no thing such as a basic Blacet module. All or almost all of his module have something special under their hood. E.g. the VCO has VC waveshape; VC octave swith; excels in FM.
Summa
Good to see that the Frac community is here smile I decided to order a Blacet VCO fully assembled and I'm looking at the Metalbox wave multiplier thumbs up
ndkent
I've had some cases of frac along side euro for years. It is true that frac would often voltage range their modules for -10 to +10v in terms of output. With the exception of something DIY built or a very rare design mistake in Euro, that's not enough voltage to injure Euro. Euro is often ranged -5 to +5 but that's not really set in stone. It's not really an issue if you know about it but worth being aware of. Could be cool sounding to run hotter frac into Euro. You can always attenuate easily. No real advantage of lower euro signals into frac. One can work around if one has to

Considering a standard rack case is only 3U until recently it's not a big deal to get a couple and a small power supply.

Now the power supply is +-15v and the same as MOTM 5U and not like Euro. So things do get complicated if you insist on the same case and same power supply with a mix and match of modules. But as mentioned, I think it's so easy to just add a row of frac to euro I personally won't put the effort in trying to physically fit one into another though I'm sure threads exist on the topic. There is some effort involved.
Summa
Thanks for the intel. I won't put the frac in the eurocase but I'll be looking for a nice portable option like the ones I got for the euro, the search begins!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1