MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

what do i know about hip hop?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author what do i know about hip hop?
el clon
hi all. i finally got some semi-recent material up:
http://www.twango.com/channel/el_clon.FakeHipHopIdeas

they were meant for my friend to rap over, but it seems they
came out too un-hip hop. they're just sketches and are pretty
repetitive...
Kwote
tell your friend he's wack for not usin em.

gear used?
el clon
yeah, i tell him he sucks all the time, but he never believes me. Mr. Green

hardware used: Oberheim Matrix 1000, Moog Voyager, Kurzweil K2000S,
Roland R-8, Roland MKS-80, MAM ADX-1, Sherman Filterbank 1, Korg Kaoss Pad 2.

software used: Logic 7 & EXS-24 & EVP-88, Ableton Live 5, Reaktor.

only a few different things were used on each track, but that's the gear pool i drew from. these were done about 6-12 months before i started on my modular, so it's not in there anywhere.... i still need to record something with it. i've been having too much fun playing with it to bother working on songs. a common problem, i've heard...
Kwote
el clon wrote:
these were done about 6-12 months before i started on my modular, so it's not in there anywhere.... i still need to record something with it. i've been having too much fun playing with it to bother working on songs. a common problem, i've heard...

that problem is easily solvable. set your modular up to run to your computer at all times.

turn your comp on every time you jam out with your modular. forget about recording and just jam out.

then when you strike up a patch that's undeniably fresh, press record.

i actually have my shit setup so i don't even have to multitrack. bahh. waste of time on the computer. do it all in stereo with the modular.

i'm a one track wonder now. hihi
Kent
Yeah, those grooves are good. Well produced too.

How much of your drums are coming out of the R-8? I've got the MKii but I can't get that kick out of it...
el clon
Quote:
that problem is easily solvable. set your modular up to run to your computer at all times.

turn your comp on every time you jam out with your modular. forget about recording and just jam out.

the dumb thing is that it's already hooked up to my computer. i have to turn on Logic and everything just to hear it...

Quote:
Yeah, those grooves are good. Well produced too.

How much of your drums are coming out of the R-8? I've got the MKii but I can't get that kick out of it...

thanks very much. probably only 15% of the drums are from the R-8. most are samples, played + manipulated through Logic's EXS-24.
as far as the "punch" of the drums, i still have a LOT to learn about it, but i think it helps tremendously to carefully EQ, to keep the frequencies from overlapping too much in certain areas... to carve out frequency space for things. i don't know if that's helpful at all...?

also, it's often good to gently compress the drums as a group, using a bus, to get them to gel together and hit a bit harder.

i've recently been noticing that panning can be the enemy of tight, focused drums. i always used to pan all kinds of stuff to get the stereo depth i was after. now, i'm finding that the strongest-sounding signals are mono, dead-center sounds. i'm keeping the drums pretty mono and any stereo FX (reverb, a little chorus) are width-limited to 20 or 30% across the speakers, rather than the default width of 100%. (Logic has a little utility called Direction Mixer that allows you to to set the width of stereo tracks)
Kwote
el clon wrote:
Quote:

the dumb thing is that it's already hooked up to my computer. i have to turn on Logic and everything just to hear it...

then you have no excuse. presss record or i'll go over there and do it for you!

anyways, what modules do you have?
el clon
you can't make me record!! evil

i hae a small Blacet setup, kind of like yrs (from the pix i've seen).
Blacet
2 VCOs
Miniwave
Binary Zone
Klangwerk
Scanner
LFO
EG1
Quad VCA
3 Mult/Attenuators
Mixer/Processor

Metalbox
Wave Multiplier

i also have a few Wiard things ordered: Noise Ring, 300 series Wogglebug and Borg I. Mr. Wiard says July and i'm so excited that i feel like i'm awaiting the birth of my first child. well... almost.
Kwote
el clon wrote:
you can't make me record!! evil

i hae a small Blacet setup, kind of like yrs (from the pix i've seen).
Blacet
2 VCOs
Miniwave
Binary Zone
Klangwerk
Scanner
LFO
EG1
Quad VCA
3 Mult/Attenuators
Mixer/Processor

Metalbox
Wave Multiplier

i also have a few Wiard things ordered: Noise Ring, 300 series Wogglebug and Borg I. Mr. Wiard says July and i'm so excited that i feel like i'm awaiting the birth of my first child. well... almost.

don't worry. i'm too lazy to actually force anyone to do anything. sounds like you got my system trumped.

the last picture of my setup doesn't have the dual filter. i'm sitting on a cgs dual chime(not yet built) and bout to start up a new case of stuff. couple used modules and probably another kit or two to grab up.
el clon
props for the DIY work. i thought about trying to get into that, start learning, but decided against it cuz i know i'll never follow thru... (just listened to that 'animal carcass' track on yr blog and it's really nice... still listening, actually...)
Kwote
see my top motivation for DIY is saving money. saving money = more modules

and the other is troubleshooting. i want my system to have a long lasting healthy life. and if i don't know shit about building, components, etc. i'm fucked. right now i'd still be basically fucked but i'm getting my head around things.

may even take some electronics courses someday. as time goes on i think i'll be prepared. and hopefully i won't have much to repair in the long run.

i take pretty good care of my stuff so that helps.

and honestly the shit is fun.

anyways, i was just pricing out the gated comparator on mouser. i still sorta have trouble sorting for parts but i'm getting there. anyways, after components, hardware, the pcb from ken stone and the faceplate from FPE i'm looking at probably no more than 90 bucks and that's kind of an overestimation.

just the shipping and hardware costs alone make elby too expensive and it all pales in comparison to a fully assembled version from the manufacturer's who make CGS.

and that's not to take away from any of the licensed CGS manufacturer's at all. it's definately a lot of time, patience and work to DIY but damn is it worthwhile if you have the willpower.

thanks regarding animal carcass. excuse the hijack.

pm me if you ever want to jam.
el clon
Quote:
and the other is troubleshooting. i want my system to have a long lasting healthy life. and if i don't know shit about building, components, etc. i'm fucked. right now i'd still be basically fucked but i'm getting my head around things.

being able to fix yr gear is a great skill... it seems i end up taking something or other in to be fixed every year. it'll surely save you some $$ in the long run.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1