MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

REON Driftboxes Demo!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author REON Driftboxes Demo!
LeFreq
These things are so fun. I can't wait to get my own units so I can try them out with the modular and other stuff. There's also a bunch of new designs coming down the pipeline. They're making pretty much everything you can think of, but in their own crazy way.

This is just Demo #1, there are more coming for sure, I just need to edit together another and probably film some more (yay!). I know a lot of people have been waiting for more demos and these things to be available outside of Japan, so I figured I'd share it here.

If anyone wants any more info on them, let me know. But, my general opinion is that they make textures and sounds that I have not been able to replicate exactly on anything else (trust me, I've tried the same patching on my 21U Euro)... These are really special, greater than the sum of their parts, type synths. The S model does more FX/sound design/noise stuff while the R is closer to a fixed architecture synth, so the combo is really something.

They also just feel fun and right, very enjoyable to play with. Maybe a little small, but that's part of the fun. Alright, enough blabbering - enjoy:

hyper screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! w00t eek! Mr. Green we're not worthy Guinness ftw! 8_)
Nelson Baboon
ah - are you from perfect circuit? I bought my pair from you a month ago or so - they really ARE fun. Most annoying feature is the brightness of the lights. They blind me.

can't listen now at work, but that looks like a nice little wooden case - did you build that for it?
LeFreq
I just do all the demos for Perfect Circuit. There is now a steady stream of content coming on the Youtube channel, Facebook page, and Blog.

The wood sides are actually on a Doepfer Dark Time! The Reons are under my hands in the pic. 8_)
LeFreq
Nobody cares about the Driftboxes anymore? These were the talk of the town when you couldn't buy them...

seriously, i just don't get it

Well... more for me! Guinness ftw!
SPIKE the Percussionist
almost pulled the trigger on the Drift Box this week.

but i ended up buying two Dixi IIs and a uVCA.

the Drift Box is still VERY much on my want list.

the demo also drives the fact that i really want one of these unique noiz beasts!
thanks for posting that!

twisted
Nelson Baboon
LeFreq wrote:
Nobody cares about the Driftboxes anymore? These were the talk of the town when you couldn't buy them...

Well, I was always under the impression that very few people knew about them. There were some obscure videos early on, but then you couldn't get them - this was back in about 2009 (?). And since then, pretty much nothing at all.
LeFreq
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
almost pulled the trigger on the Drift Box this week.

but i ended up buying two Dixi IIs and a uVCA.

the Drift Box is still VERY much on my want list.

the demo also drives the fact that i really want one of these unique noiz beasts!
thanks for posting that!

twisted

Awesome! Discussion, yay!

Cool, it's on my want list as well... close to the top. They are a bit pricey, but very worth it. There's nothing else like them!

There's more demos coming too!
LeFreq
Nelson Baboon wrote:
LeFreq wrote:

Well, I was always under the impression that very few people knew about them. There were some obscure videos early on, but then you couldn't get them - this was back in about 2009 (?). And since then, pretty much nothing at all.

Yeah, I guess I didn't realize it was so long ago, but there was still a decent amount of hype back then... at least in the circles I was in. I figured Muffs would be all over it.

They are definitely still obscure, but I hope to spread the word. REON is a really awesome company with big plans and I would like to see those realized. It won't happen if people don't know about 'em!
tIB
I care about the drift boxes- an peal of mine played one and said it was the awesomes! Are they now available then? Perhaps ill look into it in the future... Will check demos once not in bed!
Xmit
I care too ! these have been on my radar for ages, as they're tiny, slightly unusual funky boxes & I'm a sucker for that stuff !
I'd sort of given up on them as I didn't think they'd ever see the light of day outside of Japan.... if there's a chance of getting hold of them in the UK I'm definitely interested.... Guinness ftw!
johnnylonz
Never heard or seen these things until now. Very cool. The modulars they make look pretty insane too eek!
LeFreq
Sweet! More people interested! I've already said it, but these things are awesome! I've tried to replicate them with the modular and couldn't get the same textures at all.

EXCELLENT build quality, too.

Xmit wrote:
I care too ! these have been on my radar for ages, as they're tiny, slightly unusual funky boxes & I'm a sucker for that stuff !
I'd sort of given up on them as I didn't think they'd ever see the light of day outside of Japan.... if there's a chance of getting hold of them in the UK I'm definitely interested.... Guinness ftw!

Cool! Perfect Circuit Audio here in the states is the only dealer outside of Japan... and probably will be for a long time. Shipping is usually decent from PCA for international customers, so check it out!

thumbs up
lvoemachine
Too bad they're so small and a bit pricey. I'm not really seeing how they'd outdo a slim phatty for example.
LeFreq
lvoemachine wrote:
I'm not really seeing how they'd outdo a slim phatty for example.

Dead Banana

They're so far on the opposite ends of the spectrum that I don't even know where to start, really.

The driftboxes employ and focus on completely different techniques than any Moog or similar "East Coast" synth. The only reason the demo even has any "musical" tones in it is because people would complain if it didn't. They are truly boxes for sound designers and noise artists - or the open minded musician. One of them doesn't even have envelopes. It has a joystick and the namesake "drifting" and everything modulates each other... oh yeah, that's where it kills a Slim Phatty - you can actually do things that all synths should be able to do - such as audio rate oscillator FM!

I love my Phatty, but it has it's place and it's not exciting because it's built like 99% of synths. These are built off of completely different principles and that's what makes them exciting.

The price would be lower if more people were buying them. The company is small and located in Japan. It's the same reason a modular synth case seems overpriced - there's no other way for the company to have the time to make them... people gotta keep the lights on. People will pay for the item for a few reasons: a) to support people innovating in such an easily mundane industry and b) to have such a unique instrument. Being one of the few people with this instrument gives you a weapon in your arsenal that many don't have - which leads to standing out - which leads to more money, or fame, or whatever it is a musician/producer/composer/designer is seeking.

The small form factor is part of the charm... it's all the rage these days anyways - and these guys were on it many years ago. They are pretty easily wiggled and the smaller knobs are better than the ones on an MFB synth/drum machine or Intellijel module.

Overall, they're great and I want them. Then again, I've had the pleasure of playing with them - which is a big part of understanding them.

Just my 2 cents.
lvoemachine
Um, you CAN audio rate fm in the phattys(is it just the filter though?). And they have cv in to externally modulate pitch as well. But, on a more even scale, the mopho or evolver goes for even less and they have insane mod busses and get as weird as u want. I'm just saying this instrument is cool but a bit overpriced for what it does. Yes they have a cool mod bus and the joystick looks fun as well. I guess I was just expecting them to be half what they are considering the features and very simple interface. (The majority of the cost of production).

And re:small interface, I think tiny synths suck for tweaking, but then again I sold my euro and kept my moog format system. Again, I'm sure they're fun, just voicing an opinion.
JohnLRice
I saw them at Winter NAMM 2013 and snapped a couple quick pics:

Xmit
^
Cheers LeFreq - but sadly the harsh reality is that our lovely Customs & Excise people here in the UK are gonna ass rape us on import duty & taxes if we buy these from the States - making it totally unaffordable. :-(
Nelson Baboon
Yes - as was said - they are a bit pricey given the fact that it's a small company and few people know about these.

But I mean, people comparing these to the little phatty and the dsi stuff? I mean, there just isn't any comparison. I've used most of the dsi synths and they are centered around normal synth sounds. Yes - they have lots of modulation, and you can take them pretty far out, but the core sound just isn't very strong. I'm not looking into an argument about that, but stuff like reon/ciat-lonbarde/polygamist, etc - this stuff screams. It has a totally different attitude, and is really meant for different music - it's not just a normal synth that 'allows' you to get a bit crazy with it.

If you've ever liked noise boxes, but been frustrated at the lack of control - these are a vast improvement.

But if you're doing tunes, you don't want them. Comparing them to dsi and moog is really pretty silly.

lvoemachine wrote:
Um, you CAN audio rate fm in the phattys(is it just the filter though?). And they have cv in to externally modulate pitch as well. But, on a more even scale, the mopho or evolver goes for even less and they have insane mod busses and get as weird as u want. I'm just saying this instrument is cool but a bit overpriced for what it does. Yes they have a cool mod bus and the joystick looks fun as well. I guess I was just expecting them to be half what they are considering the features and very simple interface. (The majority of the cost of production).

And re:small interface, I think tiny synths suck for tweaking, but then again I sold my euro and kept my moog format system. Again, I'm sure they're fun, just voicing an opinion.
ndkent
Well one new development is the yen tumbled in value this year. As bad as 77 to a US dollar in the last year to as good as 104 or so. Around 98 today. I hear big companies do something with currency futures so it buffers them from the best or worse in not having to change prices, but that's a significant change. So when importing on a small scale exchange rate and how good a wholesale a dealer gets is all over the place. I'm sure American modules do the same thing with wildly varying prices at foreign dealers. For what it's worth, and remember there are import costs involved, the drift box S is currently under US $400 list including local tax in Japan.

The whole mini electronic instruments thing is wildly popular in Japan though these are pioneering. Expect to see plenty more in this category though something in common is far less in the CV i/o patching areas than I'd be nuts over myself.
LeFreq
lvoemachine wrote:

Haha! Semantics! Yes, I realized that you could FM a Phatty after I posted and got in bed. It's not very good at it, which is why I always consider it to not do it. I was most likely thinking of the Sub Phatty, which lacks FM between the 2 oscs. It doesn't matter, though, because that's not the point of my statement at all - the rest of it is...

Anyways, you're still missing the point - the sound. the textures. A video doesn't do it justice either, this is just a bunch of slices of the insane amount of unique textures these things pour out. As I've touched on before, I've tried to replicate it on 21U of modular and could not achieve the same sonic qualities - got totally awesome new stuff/ideas from the modular - but didn't match the tonal/characteristic qualities whatsoever. That's the point of them.

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Yes - as was said - they are a bit pricey given the fact that it's a small company and few people know about these.

But I mean, people comparing these to the little phatty and the dsi stuff? I mean, there just isn't any comparison. I've used most of the dsi synths and they are centered around normal synth sounds. Yes - they have lots of modulation, and you can take them pretty far out, but the core sound just isn't very strong. I'm not looking into an argument about that, but stuff like reon/ciat-lonbarde/polygamist, etc - this stuff screams. It has a totally different attitude, and is really meant for different music - it's not just a normal synth that 'allows' you to get a bit crazy with it.

If you've ever liked noise boxes, but been frustrated at the lack of control - these are a vast improvement.

But if you're doing tunes, you don't want them. Comparing them to dsi and moog is really pretty silly.

Exactly. It's kind of like comparing the innovative Euro modules to any Moog modular modules. West Coast vs. East Coast = Apples vs Oranges. Completely different approaches.

I love a large user interface myself, but it really doesn't matter in the end. I had the most fun with a MFB 522 out of all the drum machines I've used (From Tempest to Machinedrum to 909/808). Idk why, probably because of the interface's setup, not the size of it. It's the same with the Reons. They are small, but laid out properly and in an enjoyable manner. AND they sound awesome.

And complaining about the price and size together is confusing. If they were bigger, they'd just cost more.

thumbs up
LeFreq
Nobody is denying they are serious Never maintain cash savings again , either. They are. That doesn't make them any less of instruments.

An ARP 2600 is definitely not "worth" what it costs these days. But, if you want it, you'll pay it.
lvoemachine
Right on, you're right, you could never do weird things with DSI or moog stuff. I'm sorry. I didn't say they're not cool. I just thought that they're not a good value. But then again I've never liked "noise boxes" because to make noise, a little box isn't really the best way for me.

And yeah, the audio rate modulation options are sorely missing in general from most synths. I'm about to mod my minibrute to grab the sine out to do just that and feed it back into the pitch in.

The DSI synths are setup with normal patches in general because that's what probably 90% of their userbase makes, but with all the modulation paths, they're probably the most flexible analog synths ever made outside of the weirder oberheim offerings. I don't even own DSI right now, but I've owned a lot of it and will probably buy more in the future. Saying that there's no comparison to this is crazy. I mean, it's a forum, this is a product being pushed by a store and I'm just pointing out some things I see and that's it.

I make equal parts westcoast/eastcoast sounds (hate these damn labels) and most of the "westcoast" gets made on an "eastcoast" moog format system. I'm adding in some TZVCOs and jerk oscillators as well to add to possibilities but it doesn't take buchla or euro or these little boxes to get weird. That's my whole point.

AND AGAIN, I THINK THEY'RE COOL, FANBOYZ smile. I just don't like the price and size. I didn't say they're not capable. I was just saying there's other stuff that'll get you 99% of these sounds you'd get here with some creativity and pushing limits.

so, continue on with normal broadcast commercial programming. I'm out.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
wavehead
these things sound killer in the demos... the way you can tweak them really reminds me more of something like the SCI Pro-One. extremely quick and fluid modulation with even the smallest matrix is totally different, the new dave smith/moog/etc. offerings might have a matrix with a lot of routing options, but without having it all right at your fingertips there is truly no comparison (as in apples to oranges not "it's better"). modulars are also a completely different instrumentation.

haven't tried these or anything, but this kind of concept is all about how well the instrument is tuned and how it feels. sometimes you really get the best sounds out of synths that you can just pick up, flip switches and tweak without thinking at all.
Nelson Baboon
The experience (workflow, sound, extreme changes of sound) is just totally different for one of these, than for a dsi synth.

I've actually used several dsi synths, and I actually own the driftboxes. So, I'm not comparing an instrument that I've used with a demo.

And with that said, I'm not into arguing this point anymore.
burnn_out!
I just paid $700 for a cwejman BLD without hesitation. I really think value is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. The BLD at first doesn't really look all the special but the sound and layout make it so for me. The drift boxes seem like a straight deal to me, considering other semi-mods in this range doepfer DE, SEM, minituar, and so on. I'd actually like the set if I could get around buying up euro stuffs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2