MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Understanding Frequency Ratios, tuning, any tips?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Understanding Frequency Ratios, tuning, any tips?
toy
Frankenzappa wrote:
LeFreq wrote:
I just listen! thumbs up

+1 don't over think fm. just use your ears and have fun This is fun!

Easier said than done. Does this just come with time?
oberdada
Naive Teen Idol wrote:
Question: is there a Scala scale that aligns to the harmonic series for "easy" ratios in a modular context? If so, I'm thinking you could use, say, Disting's microtonal quantizer mode (algorithm K-5) to set it up.

Do you want the actual harmonic series, or just any scale that contains the harmonics as a subset? Try just intonation, it's all about ratios.
Naive Teen Idol
Good point! I’ll try that.
PhineasFreak
4ms smr is the single most amazing accurate tuning source for harmonic, microtonal ad other scales - theres hundreds of scales built in and it'll drive u to 6 vcos polyphonically
wechard
Also, keep in mind that the theory behind FM synthesis and the theory behind tuning systems are two different things, even though the way they both use ratios can make them look similar. It’s possible to make connections between them, but when you’re first learning it helps to keep them distinct.
starthief
There are a lot of non-harmonic ratios that can sound great with FM. Really it comes down to using your ears. Octaves or other integer ratios are just the guaranteed easy ones.

I like it when the ratio produces strong undertones which become the new perceived fundamental. Just-slightly-off ratios are also great for creating movement within the timbre, somewhat similar to chorusing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2