MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sequential Circuits - TOM - Custom EPROM fun
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Sequential Circuits - TOM - Custom EPROM fun
mOBiTh
Bored at work today so decided to have a little play with my SC TOM (great drum machine hihi ) and expand its sound pallet with some other classic drum samples and also add some of my own.

So I've modded one of my existing cartridges. This one had only one 27256 EPROM in it - my other cartridge has two.

I'm currently not clear how the drum machine knows it's using one or two EPROMs - any ideas? I'm expecting I'll need some sort of chip select switch.

Once I've got this working I'll probably write a little utility for generating the binaries. Might use Matlab for this.

All thoughts/suggestions welcome!

This guy seems to have done something similar: http://www.exfade.org/
gertie
Happy New Year mOBiTh

I was wondering if you made any progress with the Eproms for the Sequential Tom?

Any tips, hints or pointers would be much appreciated we're not worthy

Gert
xorsister
I also would like to exchange sounds in this amazing drum box screaming goo yo

According to service manual - each sound has a special header which switches analog 2 pole filters on and off for certain sounds, as well as some other stuff - so it's probably need some custom code

By the way - maybe someone have cartridges for sale?
I would like to buy one, cause i dont have any :(

Here's the link for service manual - very in-depth one
http://elektrotanya.com/sequential_420_tom_digital_drum_machine.pdf/do wnload.html
johnny83
Hi, I'm also interested in giving my SC Toms a new lease of life, do you have the EPROMS on file? I can write my own if you'd be so kind r even buy a cartridge from you preloaded if you're interested in selling them thumbs up
horstronic
You should send him a PM, seems like he doesn't get notifications for this thread.
rlg42mw
Collecting cartridge images to put in my EPROM. So far I have the 5 SCI ones (4 plus internal) and two CR-78 ones that I made. Looking to borrow and dump any other cartridges like Drumware, that were made for the TOM to include. Any two carts will be active at a time. Changing cartridges is done using TOM std UI, no DIP switches or anything like that. Also, I know the header format and will probably publish it in case anyone is still interested. The TOM code interrogates each of the four chip selects in turn. It looks for 05 then 0A. If it doesn't see them it goes to the next chip select. The latin cartridge, for example, has only one EPROM in it. Thanks, Bob

r/l/g/r\i\e/b/1\@/v/e\r\i\z/o/n\./n\e\t
NastyNachos
rlg42mw wrote:
Collecting cartridge images to put in my EPROM. So far I have the 5 SCI ones (4 plus internal) and two CR-78 ones that I made. Looking to borrow and dump any other cartridges like Drumware, that were made for the TOM to include. Any two carts will be active at a time. Changing cartridges is done using TOM std UI, no DIP switches or anything like that. Also, I know the header format and will probably publish it in case anyone is still interested. The TOM code interrogates each of the four chip selects in turn. It looks for 05 then 0A. If it doesn't see them it goes to the next chip select. The latin cartridge, for example, has only one EPROM in it. Thanks, Bob

r/l/g/r\i\e/b/1\@/v/e\r\i\z/o/n\./n\e\t

Picking up a TOM this evening without carts. So you've made your own cartridges for the front loader? I know you can buy the EPROMS from Wine country. Would like to just build a couple PCBs for them to switch in and out via the front. Anyone know if it's doable?
mOBiTh
I'm still definitely interested - just lacking any sort of time as brain deep in FPGAs at the moment.

Will be up for getting involved in a cart pcb run - shouldn't be too tricky
Kurt.Koolbrain
w00t
rlg42mw
The pcb I designed goes inside the TOM, and allows you to select any two of 16 cartridges that it holds. It has the SCI cartridges, a bunch of Drumware ones, and a few that I made myself. One benefit is that you can swap out all 15 sounds, not just the 7 "cartridge" ones. But if you prefer plugging in a pcb with EPROMs on it, there are lots of files on my web site that I used to make the 16 cartridges which would be useful to you. Also, the header format is explained in case you want to make your own EPROM images. www.tauntek.com

Bob
mOBiTh
Very nice looking TOM on evilbay at the mo with Bobs upgrade:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122902124410
grenert
mOBiTh, did you ever make a PCB for TOM cartridges?
mOBiTh
grenert wrote:
mOBiTh, did you ever make a PCB for TOM cartridges?

No never got around to it, and lost motivation once I installed the Tauntek upgrade.

I have a couple of cartridges I no longer need tho, including the one above with the ZIF socket.

M
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1