MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Binary Zone vs. Improb Drive vs. Mini-Wave
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Binary Zone vs. Improb Drive vs. Mini-Wave
Kwote
I NEED POWER Coffee Addiction FTW Coffee Addiction FTW Coffee Addiction FTW

I'm positive I'm gonna get the Binary Zone very soon.

I was thinking the next module to get(mainly for the quantize bank) would be the Mini-Wave. As outlined on Blacet's demos of the BZ.

Anyways, before all this I was set on the Improb Drive, mostly for the white noise but also for the S/H.

I forgot there is quantized output on the Improb Drive so now I'm thinking the Binary in combo with the Improb might be more suitable to my current overall needs.

thoughts?
Muff Wiggler
oh damn man, get the MW.

Quantize, Wavetable Synth, non-linear distortion, fascinating CV generation

there's very little it can't do

i will - i promise - make a couple of videos about the MW soon
Kwote
i'm pretty set on the MW anyways, but I just wondered, cuz it won't be long before i have the improb, what are some good patches between the BZ and ID?

i'm pretty stoked on the MW. i was just going through all the old threads about it on here. fun read.
consumed
the MW is bad-ass. it was my first frac module and will be my last if it ever comes down to that.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
the MW is bad-ass. it was my first frac module and will be my last if it ever comes down to that.

pry it outta your dead hands status.

Dead Banana
consumed
here's the thing though.
i have two of them.
and i need to whittle down some bills.
let me know if you intend to pick one up soon and maybe we can work something out.
SlayerBadger!
Kwote
consumed wrote:
here's the thing though.
i have two of them.
and i need to whittle down some bills.
let me know if you intend to pick one up soon and maybe we can work something out.
SlayerBadger!

love

hahaha. awesome. i'll shoot you a pm in a quick moment.
Cybananna
i'd love to hear a little more about these modules. They are some of the ones that caused me to start getting Frac modules. I'm expecting the rack and power within the next few days. Then I will also need to decide which
of these three I will get.
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
i'd love to hear a little more about these modules. They are some of the ones that caused me to start getting Frac modules. I'm expecting the rack and power within the next few days. Then I will also need to decide which
of these three I will get.

looks like i'm getting the miniwave first.

with the binary zone a close second.

honestly i'd rather get em both at the exact same time but i got to get a whole new case, rack, psu, etc. or they'll just be ornaments in my drawer.

atleast with the miniwave i can get all kinds of cool waveforms while i wait for the binary.

the improb drive is one i'll get no matter what but the white noise is what's drawing me most about that. not a strong enough reason that i can't wait a bit longer.

anyways, once i get ahold of the MW and BZ i'm gonna follow Blacet's example and beyond:

http://blacet.com/BZ.html

as far as popularity it's MW hands down. check this section for a bunch of MW threads. very great read.
Cybananna
Kwote wrote:
they'll just be ornaments in my drawer.

hihi that's me. I have a factory built Klang werk sitting on the floor in the box it was sent in, an assembled kit Dual Filter, and an assembled kit multiple sitting on a bookcase. The power supply and rack are in the mail...

By the way, your Dual Filter build and Tools of the trade stuff convinced me to try some kits, and It's kind of addictive (Dual Filter is still sitting untested, the mult works fine!)

Sorry for the OT.

Yea, i've been reading a lot about the MW. it sounds really good.
I'm saving for the MW and BZ right now. My plan is to fill up a rack with:
Dual Filter
MW
BZ
ID
and something else.

The mult will be moved to the 19" 1u blank (I have a 4u rack...)

The Blacet is an add on to my euro stuff....unless they're as fun as they sound, then I may just get another Blacet rack....
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
Kwote wrote:
they'll just be ornaments in my drawer.

hihi that's me. I have a factory built Klang werk sitting on the floor in the box it was sent in, an assembled kit Dual Filter, and an assembled kit multiple sitting on a bookcase. The power supply and rack are in the mail...

By the way, your Dual Filter build and Tools of the trade stuff convinced me to try some kits, and It's kind of addictive (Dual Filter is still sitting untested, the mult works fine!)

Sorry for the OT.

Yea, i've been reading a lot about the MW. it sounds really good.
I'm saving for the MW and BZ right now. My plan is to fill up a rack with:
Dual Filter
MW
BZ
ID
and something else.

The mult will be moved to the 19" 1u blank (I have a 4u rack...)

The Blacet is an add on to my euro stuff....unless they're as fun as they sound, then I may just get another Blacet rack....

yeah i love building. sounds like i'm barely more experienced than you. still sitting on my Chime Simulator project. glad i could inspire someone. DIY is totally where it's at.

that's cool. you're plan isn't that far from my current plan.

i already have a 6u skb filled with some good frac stuff.

my next case should consist of Dual AD, MW, BZ, ID, Dual Chime, 8008, Hexzone, Dual Drum and Cynare

2008 is a very good year.
zerosum
The miniwave is the reason I started a modular, mostly.
It always has a use even without an oscillator to properly drive it.
It will be a great day when I actually get an oscillator and use it the "right way" lol

My Binary Zone sits right next to it and the resonator plays the role of a sine wave osc to fill a missing link.

If there was ever a choice I say miniwave first,even without an osc to drive it with.
BananaPlug
I happened across a used one recently and have been exploring. It churns out looping patterns. You can get a vast variety of melody/modulation CV sources this way. They can be a bit relentless by themselves. More subtle as a mod source for a filter or panning, run slow use the slewing, maybe gate it (restarting the pattern). It's also a handy pulse divider if you just turn up one knob. For straight up patterns I like the cascading effect you can get. Here's an example of that.
Kwote
ha i don't have any of these yet. i may just grab the MW tomorrow or next week but it's too early to call. i need to just keep my dumbass quiet sometimes lol

thanks for that soundclip. since posting this i've had the pleasure of really seeing the BZ in action. i have a noisering now though so the MW takes precedence.

i'm not even sure i wanna get an Improb Drive anymore but a BZ or two for sure.
scozbor
Binary zone as a freq divider is awesome! i can't believe I only just tried this!
the 8/16/32/64 divisions can be kinda useless though.. unless you use a super fast clock. great as a basic sub osc as well.

BINARY ZONE=RAD Guinness ftw! Mr. Green
revmutt
I love BZ. It goes nice with everything.
fluxmonkey
scozbor wrote:
Binary zone as a freq divider is awesome! i can't believe I only just tried this!
the 8/16/32/64 divisions can be kinda useless though.. unless you use a super fast clock. great as a basic sub osc as well.

like you sed, cant believe i hadnt tried that before. must add VC to each divisor pot... (gets out soldering iron)

b
plord
scozbor wrote:

You're kidding, right? Send the thing a 16th note clock, and turn up the 64 knob only, and you get a perfect two bars on/two bars off gate! Use that gate an LFO or Envelope or frotz with the hold/inhibit/run on multiple sequencers and call and response patterns write themselves!! Just thinking about it, I want to buy and build up another pair!
Kwote
well i decided after building the MW that the BZ would be my next build. just gotta get another SKB first so i don't have to keep relegating more modules to my dresser drawer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1