MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silent way + rme fireface400
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Silent way + rme fireface400
nrvana8775
Hey, does the fireface 400 put out a cv signal without needing an the es interface?
os
Only on the headphone outputs.
nrvana8775
Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know what voltage they put out? Synth I'm looking at requires 5v for gate, at minimum.

I know, I know...just get the es smile

Soon!
os
Don't know, off hand. Fairly sure you'll find it here with a bit of forum searching.
Hainbach
I have actually used the Fireface 400 back outputs 3 and 4 with Silent Way and a Moogerfooger Phaser recently. I used SW to ping it with short gates and a little modulation. The gates worked ok, modulation was hard to control. But in the situation (in a hotel room, no modular at hand) I got some nice resonant drums out of the MF. So, give it a shot!

Of course, an ES-3 is the bees knees.
nrvana8775
Hainbach wrote:
I have actually used the Fireface 400 back outputs 3 and 4 with Silent Way and a Moogerfooger Phaser recently. I used SW to ping it with short gates and a little modulation. The gates worked ok, modulation was hard to control. But in the situation (in a hotel room, no modular at hand) I got some nice resonant drums out of the MF. So, give it a shot!

Of course, an ES-3 is the bees knees.

I need to be sure that it will work, as I can't afford the hardware right now. Looking at a sh09, and it's kinda finnicky with making sure it gets at least 5v. I keep reading mixed thoughts on whether the outputs of the ff400 are dc coupled and will send cv.

Sigh.
nrvana8775
Wait...also...only lines 7/8 are capable of sending a cv signal. How did you use 3/4? woah
bil_g
Only the headphone outs are DC coupled. See here. The other outs won't be good for pitch cv/constant signals but may be workable with triggers/momentary signals. You could also try the AC Encoder if you want to try the other outs.

You'll get about +/-9.8v from the headphone outs. That's nearly ES-3 range. They're very good cv outs. Make sure you set them to Hi Gain in the FF400 settings.
antenne
I've used the headphone outs on my FF400 on a SH-5 and a Promars
with no problems - so i guess it would work with an SH-09 too.

Kim
nrvana8775
Awesome! Really appreciate the info.
nrvana8775
How do I split the two channels so that I can have one pitch cv and one gate?

Headphone out is stereo, so would I need a stereo -> dual mono or something?
antenne
yes - stereo jack at the FF end - two mono plugs at the synth end
(of the variety that fits your synth)
connections:
stereo jack tip goes to tip of pitch plug
stereo jack ring goes to tip of gate plug
stereo jack ground goes to ground of both pitch and gate plug

I've made a cable with standard mic cabling - the kind that has
two connectors plus ground -

KIm
os
nrvana8775 wrote:
Headphone out is stereo, so would I need a stereo -> dual mono or something?

Yes. This is commonly called an insert cable or Y-cable.
nrvana8775
I have a few y cables that I bought when I was usin the motu + silent way.

So, I can use the ring without any issue? For some reason, I was under the impression that it was a negative mirror of the other signal.
os
That's true for a mono balanced socket. For a stereo socket, the ring carries one of the stereo pair.
eepyikes
I just discovered that CV can be sent to any output of the FF400 with VCV Rack. I just grabbed an LFO in VCV Rack and sent it to several different outs on the FF400 (you can verify by looking at Totalmix), and then into Eurorack. Appears to work fine, though I'm not sure that it's sending correct voltage...LFOs work well but when I send quantized pitches it's not behaving as expected. This is sans silent way. You'd obviously still need Silent Way to do it from Ableton/Cubase/etc, and then maybe only 7/8 work. I'm a noob, so if there's anyone here that's more knowledgeable that can verify, that would be great.
os
Quote:
LFOs work well but when I send quantized pitches it's not behaving as expected

That's exactly the symptoms of not being DC coupled.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1