MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

double chaos
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author double chaos
frijitz
Here's a demo clip made using two diy chaos generators and two new diy VCOs.

A Jerkster is driving a ChaQuo, to produce a "bursty" chaotic pattern, ie the signal jumps erratically between two different chaotic patterns.

ChaQuo's two outputs drive the Lin FM of a DoubleDekka and the Exp FM of a Teezer. The two outputs of the DD alternate driving the Lin FM of the Teezer. The Teezer is set at zero bias (initial freq) with deep modulation. The Teezer's output is panned along with the varying drive. Modulation depths and VCO frequencies are moved around manually.

Chaotic signals are irregular but more correlated than random noise. So the patterns are interesting in an unusual sort of way.

grin

Ian
Roycie Roller
Sounds interesting, everything from glitchy noise to fluctuating randomness.
I use the Jerkster with the teezer all of the time & am always finding new sounds by using different sources to modulate the jerkster & having it modulate exp & lin Fm of the VCO. Also cross-modulating the two alone results in a huge range of sounds.
I'm interested in digital VCO's, especially for their aliasing- does the Double Deka aliase easily, depending on what's modulating it?
thermionicjunky
I would love to hear more Jerkster demos. I really enjoy the ones on Ian's website. I've been building modules out of necessity rather than enjoyment, but I would love to be pushed over the edge to build this one.
Moog$FooL$
thermionicjunky wrote:
I would love to hear more Jerkster demos. I really enjoy the ones on Ian's website. I've been building modules out of necessity rather than enjoyment, but I would love to be pushed over the edge to build this one.

sorry no demo here..... but Bridechambers' kit is pretty cheap.
does that at least push you towards the edge?? hmmm.....
thermionicjunky
Moog$FooL$ wrote:

sorry no demo here..... but Bridechambers' kit is pretty cheap.
does that at least push you towards the edge?? hmmm.....

Yes, I'm talking about the Bridechamber kit. I'm just a bit burnt out in general. There are also a few modules that I need to buy and convert to 5U and I don't really have the money for it. However, I really like the concepts behind these chaos modules and I have a T/G/T/S&H populated and waiting for pots and jacks. The Jerkster is an obvious companion but I would like to hear it used in as many ways as possible. Aside from the money, I'm trying to keep the size of my system manageable, in part because we end up moving about once a year. It's hard enough moving the Rhodes everywhere.
frijitz
Roycie Roller wrote:
I use the Jerkster with the teezer all of the time & am always finding new sounds by using different sources to modulate the jerkster & having it modulate exp & lin Fm of the VCO. Also cross-modulating the two alone results in a huge range of sounds.
I'm interested in digital VCO's, especially for their aliasing- does the Double Deka aliase easily, depending on what's modulating it?

Hey, thanks for all that! I don't think I've tried x-coupling chaos with VCO. Lots of thing to explore, with a huge variety of possibilities within any given patch.

The DD is analog, although it can produce digital-like sound. So it doesn't alias in the usual meaning of violating the sampling theorem in a DVCO. But with its two unique modulation modes you certainly get a lot of anharmonic sidebands.

grin

Ian
frijitz
thermionicjunky wrote:
I would love to hear more Jerkster demos.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Jerkster in my system right now. The demo was actually done using its big Daddy (which is a more general 3d order system), but using a pattern that I know the Jerkster can produce. I actually think its pretty important to try to get other folks to record some demo's, as they always with unique sounds I probably would never have gotten.

grin

Ian
Roycie Roller
thermionicjunky wrote:

Here's a recording i did today after building a Verbos 258 oscillator- the Jerkster modulates the 258 & a teezer, & there's a bit where the Jerkster CV's a 292c LPG, clocked by a Noise Ring (the 258 is the audio)
Roycie Roller
frijitz wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:

Hey, thanks for all that! I don't think I've tried x-coupling chaos with VCO. Lots of thing to explore, with a huge variety of possibilities within any given patch.

The DD is analog, although it can produce digital-like sound. So it doesn't alias in the usual meaning of violating the sampling theorem in a DVCO. But with its two unique modulation modes you certainly get a lot of anharmonic sidebands.

grin

Ian

Oh...for some reason i thought Ultrasonic meant digital (in this VCO).
I obviously didn't read it correctly.
Analog's good though!
But I think i'll build a 2nd Teezer before a DD though. smile
thermionicjunky
Roycie Roller wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:

Here's a recording i did today after building a Verbos 258 oscillator- the Jerkster modulates the 258 & a teezer, & there's a bit where the Jerkster CV's a 292c LPG, clocked by a Noise Ring (the 258 is the audio)

Thanks. The Noise Ring is another one that I'll need at some point. I love these modules that let you screw with the amount of irregularity.
pugix
Here is an example of using the Jerkster as a random controller in an aleatoric patch.

http://pugix.com/synth/chaotic-harmony/

Richard
thermionicjunky
pugix wrote:
Here is an example of using the Jerkster as a random controller in an aleatoric patch.

http://pugix.com/synth/chaotic-harmony/

Richard

Thanks, I thought that it would be great for vibrato. I love the subtlety.
frijitz
pugix wrote:

Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to put that up. To me, your patch is somewhat reminiscent of a slow wind chime.

One of my initial thoughts in developing chaotic circuits was that many natural processes and sounds around us are chaotic, so somehow chaotic patches could remind us of natural sounds we enjoy, such as wind, babbling stream, a tree branch tapping on the window, etc. I think your patch falls in that category: repetitive enough to be somewhat soothing, but irregular enough to be interesting.

grin

Ian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1