MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing a new eurorack module by Microbe Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Announcing a new eurorack module by Microbe Modular
clone45
Announcing the Equation Composer

I'm extremely pleased to announce the upcoming release of the Equation Composer by Microbe Modular. Inspired by VIznut's "Algorithmic symphonies from one line of code" and the BitWiz Audio Synth, the Equation Composer creates a wide range of gritty, 8-bit sounding melodies, waveforms, and noise. The module is organized into CV selectable "programs" that range from simple equation playback to stuttery loops, and even wavetable playback and subtractive synthesis.

Internally, the Equation Composer is based on the powerful Arduino Due. Although the module has been built to be enjoyed "as-is", there's a prominent USB jack on the front for easy re-programming, and the software is open source and available on GitHub. 14 extra pins have been brought to an expansion header on the rear. The Arduno code itself is modular, allowing various software "modules" to be strung together into virtual synths. (Re-programming is recommended for advanced developers only and requires some C++.)

Hardware designed by John Staskevich. Software by Gaetan Ro and myself. Front panel design by Hannes Pasqualini. Additional sound design by Sunshine Audio. Special thanks to Josh at Toppobrillo for his support.

Width: 12HP
Current requrements: 170mA
Estimated release date: Early 2014.

Cheers,
Bret Truchan
Microbe Modular

Here are some audio samples. There's a lot more to come, including examples of more traditional (less 8-bit) sounds.

[s]http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/109975519[/s]
[s]http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/109973440[/s]
 [s]http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/109973628[/s]
wbkennedy1
whoahhh yesss woah these last few weeks i have been really digging into v1znut's blog and his ibniz programming language. sooo cool to see this concept in modular synth world now! are you going to be offering kits for sale?
xonetacular
woah very cool.

definitely sounds a bit like bitwiz and that's funny since when I first messed with bitwiz for ipad the first thing I did was plug the headphone out into my modular and start applying envelopes and messing with the sequences.

great looking panel too. what are the inputs and outputs on it?
clone45
No, sorry, I'm not going to have kits for sale at first. I'll consider it down the line, but just getting this module out the door is taking up all my time. I hope to have more audio examples in a few weeks. The code is really flexible and Geatan and I are busy making both virtual modules and virtual synths for it. It'll be interesting to hear what comes out of it!

Cheers,
- Bret
Kent
How soon until we can:

get a ballpark price?
see a clear front panel shot?
get a demonstration video as to what the controls and CV inputs achieve?

Looks cool at first glance, but I can't really tell what it offers based upon the current description.

thumbs up
poppinger
Whoa awesome. Bitwiz is one of my favorite things to fiddle around with on the ipad, and I've even gone to the trouble to rig up modular/midi cc interaction with it once or twice which is massive amounts of fun.

Just trying to figure out what all the front panel controls and I/O are.

1, 2, and 3 = inputs to expressions in the equation?
SR = sample rate I'd imagine?
Eq = select which equation to evaluate?
Not too sure what Mod might do.

Am I close on any of these?
clone45
@xonetacular

Here's a list of inputs and outputs:

Inputs:
======

EQU (which is going to be renamed "PRG" for "program" on the final panel) - This switched between internal "programs". Imagine it being a bit like switching between patches on a Nord Modular or Waldorf Pulse. (Not to say this compares to either of those beautiful machines.)

SR - Sample Rate (or Pitch, or Frequency)

MOD - "Modifier" - This is sort of a generic term. On the equation playback programs, this selects the equation. On other programs, this might affect different things. It's not set in stone.

Parameters [1],[2],[3] - For the equation playback programs, these are mapped to variables in the equation. For example:

w = (t>>p1|t|t>>6)*p3+4*(t&t>>p2|t>>6);

Here, p1, p2, and p3 are controlled by CV inputs [1], [2], and [3]. In the EquationLooper program, the inputs 1,2, and 3 control various aspects of the loop position and loop length. Again, the inputs sometimes change depending on the program.

reset - Also used for clock or gate, resets the playback of an equation.

Outputs
=====
Out - the audio output

Cheers,
- Bret
ignatius
harsh! but classy.

also, so nice to see another panel w/long oval mounting holes. makes like so much easier some times!

i look forward to more demos.

congrats on the prototype. thumbs up
xonetacular
the panel is total perfection. very well done and classy.
clone45
@Kent

Price - I don't even know what it's going to cost to manufacture yet. Once I do, I'll figure out the price. We're working on the final prototype right now.

Demonstration video - as soon as I can! :-)

Front panel - Here's the front panel design. However, the input EQU is going to be renamed to PRG:

[/img]
clone45
Big thanks to Hannes Pasqualini for his work on the panel. In fact, I really didn't contribute much to this module except for the code. Kudos to everyone involved.
clone45
@ignatius,

Thanks! I know those samples are harsh, and I contemplated waiting a month until I had a larger range of samples, but I wanted to stake my claim before Mutable Instruments released every type of module on the planet. Ha ha ha. I'll work on getting some more subtle sounds out of it.
Kent
Thank you, sir.

clone45 wrote:
@Kent

Price - I don't even know what it's going to cost to manufacture yet. Once I do, I'll figure out the price. We're working on the final prototype right now.

Demonstration video - as soon as I can! :-)

Front panel - Here's the front panel design.
oscillateur
Yes, yes and yes, especially if it can be reprogrammed.
oscillateur
Also, I suppose it would be possible to use the inputs for other purposes by writing some custom code, right ? What IDE do you use for that ?
narwhal
a bit of crossover with the Snazzy FX Ardcore?
clone45
Yes, it can definitely be reprogrammed. You would use the Arduino IDE and use the USB port on the front. In its ability to be programmed, it is similar to the Snazzy FX Ardcore. The Due is quite an upgrade from the original Arduino, and I've honestly just scratched the surface at its capabilities.
poppinger
I understand there are probably limitations because this is Arduino, but what kind of sampling rate do you get on the inputs? One of the aspects I like about Bitwiz is the ability to pipe audio into the equation.
Richard Devine
wow, this sounds great! been using Bitwiz on my iPad for a while, and was surprised to see this pop up here. Could be great for glitchy percussion sounds and SFX. Very cool to hear that Sunshine Audio did some sounds as well. I worked with them recently on another sound design project get stuff.
clone45
As for input sampling rate.. I'm really not sure! Do you have an equation from BitWiz that responds to audio input well? If so, I'll load it up into the module and compare the difference.
Raytracer
clone45 wrote:
As for input sampling rate.. I'm really not sure! Do you have an equation from BitWiz that responds to audio input well? If so, I'll load it up into the module and compare the difference.
Shouldn't you know the input sampling rate being one of the module designers?
ignatius
clone45 wrote:
@ignatius,

Thanks! I know those samples are harsh, and I contemplated waiting a month until I had a larger range of samples, but I wanted to stake my claim before Mutable Instruments released every type of module on the planet. Ha ha ha. I'll work on getting some more subtle sounds out of it.

i meant harsh in a useful way thumbs up

i'm sure it'll have a wide range of things going on under the hood.
kurodama
Thanks everybody! I'm really glad you like the panel (and the module in general) it's certainly the most minimal thing I've done yet.
It sure excells at harsh sounds, but nothing would stop you using it to create some soft evolving ambient textures, just add some filtering and reverb and some modulation and you can get something that will evolve for hours.
onurkalaycioglu
coool
hpsounds
Richard Devine wrote:
wow, this sounds great! been using Bitwiz on my iPad for a while, and was surprised to see this pop up here. Could be great for glitchy percussion sounds and SFX. Very cool to hear that Sunshine Audio did some sounds as well. I worked with them recently on another sound design project get stuff.

When I listened to the soundcloud samples, my first thought was " Damned ! This is the perfect module for Richard Devine !". hihi

Hédi K.
Paranormal Patroler
So this is not just a mere 8-bit oscillator? hmmm.....
oscillateur
Read the article linked in the first post, it explains everything...

http://countercomplex.blogspot.jp/2011/10/algorithmic-symphonies-from- one-line-of.html

Quick answer : nope, it's more complicated than that.
Paranormal Patroler
lol I was being rhetorical and inquisitive at the same time. Thanks for the point out though, I hadn't noticed that.
kurodama
it' really goes far beyond being an oscillator. It's more some kind of procedural wave generator and effects processor and probably even more...
Paranormal Patroler
Ok, read the article and I'm in w00t
oberkorn
nice one. I like the demos! screaming goo yo

sorry to bring up the past, but weren't you the guy who did those Voxglitch modules?
I remember your name as I almost ordered a pattern generator from you back then, but then the site dissapeared very frustrating
clone45
@oberkorn,

Yes, that's me! I've decided to dip my foot back into the Eurorack arena. I probably would have resuscitated the Voxglitch brand, but someone grabbed my domain after I let it expire. A big difference this time around is that I'm just sticking to the programming and leaving the circuit design and panel design to the experts. :-) (I also did the programming on the Toppobillo Quantimator, which got me hooked on Arduino programming.)

Cheers,
- Bret
recompas
Great work! I'm definitely interested in one of these....I'm happy to see another module where there's an opportunity for some diy coding!
recompas
Great work! I'm definitely interested in one of these....I'm happy to see another module where there's an opportunity for some diy coding!
recompas
FetidEye
+3 hihi

i very much like this concept!
nice sounds also!
DSC
I love the direction you took with this. USB right out front makes a big statement to where eurorack is going.
+1
Junk Rhythm
Congrats on getting this going Bret!
vurma
I had this in mind for the upcoming local hackathon, but it seems you guys beat me to it!

The lack of LCD to browse what equation you're using is also a bit of a downer. It would leave the machinist to have to store and view the equations elsewhere (on paper, separate screen etc) to be able to understand how the signal they generate will change in time, which, if you're that kind of person who wants to know how and why the system is evolving, cripples the abilities of this module.

Furthermore, I think there are some concepts of the bytebeat scene that could be elaborated on. For instance, if you had a gate/trigger input for adding a sierpinsky element (t&t>>x) to the current equation that could make for a really interesting way of creating equations using the modular. Its really the process of discovery that made the bytebeat community develop so rapidly in the beginning, and without the interesting equations that were generated in that surge, there wouldn’t be anything interesting to listen to. Its great that you have included 3 inputs for variable modulation, but i think there should be more added.

Not trying to deflate the hype or anything - its wonderful that someone extrapolated this concept into the modular scene.
Paranormal Patroler
vurma wrote:
The lack of LCD to browse what equation you
're using is also a bit of a downer.

I'll second this, it was my first impression when I understood what the module is about.
oscillateur
Well, the way I see it the whole point is having the code available so that you can easily put your own stuff in there and reroute the inputs according to your needs. Very similar to the Ardcore, obviously.

The Ardcore has more outputs but less inputs, if I'm not mistaken. Would an output expander be possible for this module ?
vurma
oscillateur wrote:
Well, the way I see it the whole point is having the code available so that you can easily put your own stuff in there and reroute the inputs according to your needs. Very similar to the Ardcore, obviously.

The Ardcore has more outputs but less inputs, if I'm not mistaken. Would an output expander be possible for this module ?

The way i see it, the modular is a reason to get away from the computer, and to do that i'd need an LCD to see what function im using. In many situations, bringing my laptop with my modular hasn’t been an option, which is really what it should be.

Im not sure how using two PWM channels on the arduino would affect its performance. Im assuming you're thinking about playing more than one wavefunction at a time.
Tombola
So this is like Ardcore, but based on the Due?

That's huge - Due has two DAC channels and is fast enough to properly do audio playback.

I've got one sitting on my desk, but haven't got started with it yet...
vurma
Tombola wrote:
So this is like Ardcore, but based on the Due?

That's huge - Due has two DAC channels and is fast enough to properly do audio playback.

I've got one sitting on my desk, but haven't got started with it yet...

Its similar to it since its based on a similar hardware platform.The interesting thing is what these guys made out of it. Its quite unlike the Ardcore in that regard, but could, with modifications, provide the same functionality.
Tombola
vurma wrote:
Why are people so obsessed with comparing it to the Ardcore?

Just excited - not just a great module, but a great platform for experimentation.
wbkennedy1
any new news on this?

its the most exciting new module ive seen in a while!!
clone45
Hello! There's no recent news besides that I'm working on the module daily. We're still working on revision B of the circuit board. The front panels are all set. I've been really submerging myself into the world of "bytebeat" (one of the nicknames given to this type of synthesis). Here's a few of my recent creations:

http://tinyurl.com/ltl5zeo
http://tinyurl.com/l7jfueq

I don't expect to have all the equations figured out until the end of December. Jonatan Liljedahl has granted me permission to use his equations from BitWiz. If you haven't tried that app, it's fantastic.

Also, it looks likely that we're going to include a jumper on the module to switch it from AC coupled to DC coupled, meaning that you should be able to use it for generating CV values. I'll know more about this later.

I'm often fairly busy and I don't keep up with my posts very well. Feel free to contact me at my gmail account using my username "clone45".

Thanks! I'll post more news and audio when it's available.
- Bret
Paranormal Patroler
clone45 wrote:
Also, it looks likely that we're going to include a jumper on the module to switch it from AC coupled to DC coupled, meaning that you should be able to use it for generating CV values. I'll know more about this later.

Hey Bret, you should put a switch on the front panel for that. DC coupled sounds like the business. You can count me in if I can use it as a sequencer for other sound sources.
Nantonos
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but:

Code:

#ifdef __arm__
      ... stuff ...
#endif

#else
   #error Oops! Trying to include DueTimer on another device?
#endif

is a bit generic and false-positives all other ARM processors.

Code:

#ifdef  __SAM3X8E__
// Arduino Due

would be a better check.
glitched01
Just found this module on the ModularGrid and it's incredibly cool and original! I started playing with these functions a couple years ago and never thought they'd be something I'd see in my rack.

The output can be incredibly rich and I imagine hours of fun experimenting, knowing the equations or not.
Noha
very nice panel design
infradead
oh shit.

i loved CellsDS, GlitchDS, and Repeater.

very cool module
clone45
Here are a few new sounds:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/clone45/equation-composer-single-take[/s]

EMW drums and the equation composer.

And the equation composer in "loop" mode. Sounds a bit like repeaterDS!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/clone45/equation-composer-loop-slice[/s]
oscillateur
Is there any way to get on an info list or something for this module ?

Also, will it only be released with this text on the front panel ? The biggest strength of this would be as a programmable Arduino module for me so an alternate panel with more generic in/out names would be nice.

There seems to be lots of cool stuff in the github repository thumbs up
clone45
Hi Oscillateur,

I'm not sure what an info list is, but I do intend to write some fairly complete documentation for this module over the next month. If you have any specific information that you want, just email me at clone45@gmail.com.

A lot of what's in the github repository is experimental, and I'm not sure how much of it will make the final cut. But all the code will remain available and I'm here to help.

The front panel is pretty much the same. The "reset" input is going to be renamed as "gate" and the "equ" (equation) input is going to be renamed "prg" (program), which does make it more generic. It's quite intuitive, which is a big deal to me. I don't want to make the front panel too generic otherwise it might be confusing what the knobs do. I'll be publishing everything open source, including the PCB design, parts list, and front panel information.

As other people have pointed out, the Ardcore is another nice Arduino based programmable module. I'll do my best to make the Equation Composer another good module for experimentation as well, but my main goal is to make it great without any need for further programming. My focus is exploring the "bytebeat" sounds, which are fantastic. smile

Cheers,
- Bret
Paranormal Patroler
This one is module is exciting. Make more demos!!
I'd be particularly interested to listen to a slow tempo demo. Obviously this module isn't meant for drones but I'd like to check how it sounds when clocked slowly.
lionelfischer
Please replace the jumper with a switch to go from AC to DC without unscrewing the module!

I hope DC makes it into the features. That would be incredible
eveldave
Very interested in this module It's peanut butter jelly time!
twospartans
+1
lionelfischer wrote:
Please replace the jumper with a switch to go from AC to DC without unscrewing the module!

I hope DC makes it into the features. That would be incredible
dropthedyle
lionelfischer wrote:

++
SlayerBadger!
lionelfischer
eyes...
kurodama
I'm actually really looking forward to this module, I've amassed a fair amount of bytebeat equations on Bitwiz... can't wait to put them all on this one!
clone45
Are there any modular users in San Francisco who'd like to help beta test the Equation Composer?
twincities
i wish new york were "close" to san francisco hihi
Junk Rhythm
twincities wrote:
i wish new york were "close" to san francisco hihi

It is as far as rent prices go. ;-)

I just picked up one of the prototypes for this from clone45 today. I can't wait to get into this module over the next few days!
GoraSou
ufff heavy sounds
clone45
Steve at Robot Speak is currently baby sitting one of the Equation Composer prototypes. It will be at Robot Speak for a few weeks, and you're welcome to go in and try it out. In case you have any questions, I'll be emailing Steve a preliminary owner's manual.

The version at Robot Speak has some power-on issues, but otherwise is very similar to the final version. Manufacturing should start relatively soon.

Thanks Steve! Feel fee to slap some rack screws on that sucker!

Cheers,
Bret
kurodama
yeah I wish one could just teleport these things around sometimes... smile
clone45
Hi everyone,

If anyone would be interested, I'm running a bytebeat contest: http://www.microbemodular.com/bytebeat-contest/

I invite you all to enter! It's partially to get some community donated sounds for the Equation Composer. Yes, the Equation Composer is still coming out, although we've been slowed down a bit by a parts sourcing issue. I'll keep everyone posted.

1st prize: $250.00
Contest ends: May 10th, 2014

Please see the full rules on the site.

Cheers,
Bret
clone45
Some new sounds. All audio generated from the Equation Composer with no multi-tracking:

https://soundcloud.com/clone45/equation-composer-new-drum

In this track, everything, including the sequencing and audio effects, was generated internally:

https://soundcloud.com/clone45/equation-composer-synthpattern

I've been working on the website quite a bit. It's simple and needs some graphic design. If you visit, be sure to see the module reference.

The modules are currently in the hands of the manufacturers! Woo hoo!

Cheers,
Bret

PS: Here's the code for the pattern generator synth in the second demo:

Code:

ModuleQuantizer *quantizer = new ModuleQuantizer();   
   ModuleWavetableOsc *wavetable_osc = new ModuleWavetableOsc();
   ModulePatternGenerator *pattern_generator = new ModulePatternGenerator();
   ModuleExtClock *ext_clock = new ModuleExtClock(120, EIGHTH_NOTE_CLOCK_DIVISION);
     ModuleLowpassFilter *lowpass_filter = new ModuleLowpassFilter();
   ModuleENV *envelope_generator = new ModuleENV();
   ModuleSampleAndHold *sample_and_hold = new ModuleSampleAndHold();
     ModuleDelay *delay = new ModuleDelay();

ext_clock->clock_input = inputs->gate;

pattern_generator->cv_pattern_input = inputs->param1;
   pattern_generator->gate_pattern_input = inputs->param2;
   pattern_generator->gate_density_input = inputs->param3;
   pattern_generator->clock_input = ext_clock;
   pattern_generator->length_input = new ModuleConstant(16);

sample_and_hold->sample_input = pattern_generator;
   sample_and_hold->trigger_input = pattern_generator->gate_output;

quantizer->scale_input = new ModuleConstant(1);
   quantizer->cv_input = sample_and_hold;

wavetable_osc->wavetable_input  = inputs->mod;
   wavetable_osc->frequency_input  = quantizer;

envelope_generator->slope_input = new ModuleConstant(0);
   envelope_generator->frequency_input = new ModuleConstant(1000);
   envelope_generator->trigger_input = pattern_generator->gate_output;

lowpass_filter->audio_input = wavetable_osc;
   lowpass_filter->cutoff_input = envelope_generator;
   lowpass_filter->resonance_input = new ModuleConstant(0);

delay->audio_input = lowpass_filter;
   delay->mix_input = new ModuleConstant(4000);
   delay->feedback_input = new ModuleConstant(3000);
   delay->length_input = inputs->sr;

this->last_module = delay;
wirelesswine
Thanks for the updates. Best of luck on parts sourcing. Sounds great.
mckenic
OMG - the 2 (new?) videos posted on Matrixsynth are WONDERFUL!!!
nedavine
mckenic wrote:

links?
wirelesswine
mckenic wrote:

I like the glitchy drum loop. Cool stuff

Can't wait for this to release - sounds like they are close. Boards are coming this week.
wirelesswine
nedavine wrote:
mckenic wrote:

links?

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2014/06/microbe-modular-equation-composer.h tml
gotascii
How'd I miss this!? I've been building embedded projects with an uno (e.g. empty beer fridge detector that sends me a txt reminding to me to pick up more Guinness ftw!) in anticipation of getting up an ardcore. This has me even more excited. Very cool sounds! SlayerBadger!
pr0t0
release date estimative?
hangars liquides
It's only a few days ago, following Mr Devine's post, that I discovered this beautiful module. The soundcloud extracts sound so gorgeous. Time to get a new cabinet....
kurodama
Finally some videos of it in action! Well I can only say that the videos show only a small fraction of what the module can do. The real fun begins when you start feeding it some CVs!
NS4W
The new demos are great!
VanEck
Looks like this is available for purchase now!

http://www.microbemodular.com/products/equation-composer/overview
clone45
Indeed! It's now shipping! I posted an announcement at one point, but now I can't find it. Strange.

Here's a newer video from Richard Devine:
http://instagram.com/p/sgkyAajQsh/

Cheers,
Bret
wirelesswine
clone45 wrote:
Indeed! It's now shipping! I posted an announcement at one point, but now I can't find it. Strange.

Here's a newer video from Richard Devine:
http://instagram.com/p/sgkyAajQsh/

Cheers,
Bret

Here it is Bret : https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120875
clone45
I've just added a new program to the Equation Composer: A beat sample looper! It's included in the newest firmware on GitHub.

The equations composers currently for sale will need their firmware upgraded (via the USB port) to get this new feature. Special thanks to Richard Devine for the loops.

Also, here's a new jam session using the Equation Composer, which is handling all of the sound generation, including the drums. The delay/freeze effects are from an Echophon:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/166313584" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

@wirelesswine: Thanks!
wirelesswine
clone45 wrote:
I've just added a new program to the Equation Composer: A beat sample looper! It's included in the newest firmware on GitHub.

The equations composers currently for sale will need their firmware upgraded (via the USB port) to get this new feature. Special thanks to Richard Devine for the loops.

Also, here's a new jam session using the Equation Composer, which is handling all of the sound generation, including the drums. The delay/freeze effects are from an Echophon:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/166313584" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

@wirelesswine: Thanks!

Bret, thanks. I will get to the update ASAP. This is a really cool device. I am just scratching the surface and I love it. Will grab the update on Github!
mckenic
eek!

Wow! Sweet stuff - congrats!
VanEck
Mine arrived yesterday. Installed it before falling asleep. Rolled out of bed and patched up some dream beats.

This was the most well packed module I have ever received. Double boxed. Sealed anti-static bag. Foam in the static bag itself. Also the extra long ribbon cable was a very nice touch and most appreciated, as I had to attach it to the bus with my +5v adapter in the top of my case. thumbs up
wirelesswine
VanEck wrote:
Mine arrived yesterday. Installed it before falling asleep. Rolled out of bed and patched up some dream beats.

This was the most well packed module I have ever received. Double boxed. Sealed anti-static bag. Foam in the static bag itself. Also the extra long ribbon cable was a very nice touch and most appreciated, as I had to attach it to the bus with my +5v adapter in the top of my case. thumbs up

Nice work! Agree on the packaging comments -fantastic job by Microbe Modular. It does take a bit from the 5v rail - with this and braids I am maxed out with my makenoise brick. But I do love the sounds I am getting from little programming really. I am tweaking bitwhiz to get some equations figured out. I am spending the weekend with just this and the echophone and seeing where it can go.
clone45
Glad to hear that the packaging is satisfactory! I've spun up a few more videos myself:

Here, the equation composer is only supplying the drums. This one is in mono.

In this video, all of the sound is being generated by the equation composer and erbe-verb:

Cheers,
Bret
mckenic
woah
clone45
ETP
^sounds great.
Richard Devine
Super cool!
mwvm
I picked one of these up on a bit of a whim.

Not had it long enough is assess tracking when in osc mode. Just been faffing with its esotericness
mwvm

Modulated by pressure points and wogglebug.
crystal hell pool
Has anyone replaced the samples in the looper program? Been messing with bitviz programming, interesting results, seems like it would be a lot of fun in the modular world
kurodama
No haven't tried that. But I have loaded a bunch of equations I had made with bitwiz onto it and it's big fun!
MATSmile
crystal hell pool wrote:
Has anyone replaced the samples in the looper program? Been messing with bitviz programming, interesting results, seems like it would be a lot of fun in the modular world

Need a sampler with sample uploading possibility. Pls.
This thing would be complete with sampler.
kurodama
I've got a Music Thing Modular Radio Music and it does at great job at being a sample player for long, recorded sounds
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/wiki
MATSmile
kurodama wrote:
I've got a Music Thing Modular Radio Music and it does at great job at being a sample player for long, recorded sounds
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/wiki

Yeah Radio Music is great module, but I'm running out of space in my portable case and I would appreciate one module that does a lot (including sampling) more then bunch of small ones that only do one thing. lol
kurodama
Oh well the EC already does really a lot, I ended up disabling many of the features, because I prefer modules that do few things smile
EarlJemmings
Love the hard digital sound this has.
Wondering, how well does it respond to audio rate modulation?
crystal hell pool
There is a "looper" it comes loaded with 2 richard devine loops, on the website it says you can replace them, but it kind of alludes to it being a pain in the ass? The looper is pretty limited, but it seems like it would be fun
MATSmile
    crystal hell pool wrote:
    There is a "looper" it comes loaded with 2 richard devine loops, on the website it says you can replace them, but it kind of alludes to it being a pain in the ass? The looper is pretty limited, but it seems like it would be fun

Yeah, if he could simplified process of replacing samples
clone45
Hi everyone!

Yes, replacing the samples and loops within the Equation Composer isn't a simple drag-and-drop procedure. Unfortunately, because the samples are stored in program memory, it's very unlikely that I'll be able to create an easier way to replace them.

I did create a little conversion tool for people here:
http://www.microbemodular.com/products/equation-composer/tools/convert -loops

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

I can't make any promises, but I hope to get back behind the firmware soon and create some new programs for people. Also, if there are any developers out there who wish to extend the firmware, contact me and I'll offer you a discount.

I don't monitor Muffwigger's forum, so please contact me directly to get my attention: http://www.microbemodular.com/contact

Cheers,
Bret
guitarforhire
My Equation Composer's oscillators seem to have a very limited range. There is a hard upper and lower limit where the osc will only play the highest/lowest note it can and not track notes above/below. It is about a 3 octave range. Is this a limitation of the hardware or could I code a fix for this?
7C
got the composer since a while, absolutely loving it.

there's two odd things though, i hope i'm not the only one...

when in chord mode and i patch a sequencers cv (metropolis it is in that case) to the pitch/cv in, the highest tone i get is still so low, that you barely can hear the notes. with my ladik quantizer i can shift it up 2 octaves, but i'd rather prefer a proper solution than a workaround. it sounds brilliant without a cv input, but unuseable with input.

the second thing: the pattern generator creates wonderful funky stuff but it's a shame you cant cv the root note/transpose it. anyone has a solution for this / knows how to change/ reprogram this?
7C
ps: maybe something like combining the gate & density knobs, ditching the density knob for a base note knob. if anyone knows how to do that or has better ideas, pls shoot it. the missing pattern tuning / transposing is quite a bummer...
7C
anyone? seriously, i just don't get it
schemawound
Somehow missed this up until now. I did a full ambient/noise album using bitwise operations in Supercollider. A little bit of reverb does wonders on these types of sounds.
clone45
@7c: I'm looking into this right now. Feel free to email me directly about it. The SR knob will act as a attenuator when you insert a patch cable. Do you have the SR knob cranked all the way up?

I'm going to look into the code as well. It's very unlikely to be a hardware limitation or issue.

Cheers,
Bret
dude
just got this module. bret is amazing and his module seems even moreso. it is perfect immediate single module dot matrix printer sound heaven.
7C
thx bret! pm´ing right now!
synthesymphony
Wow, very cool. I would love to mess around with the 'modular' code and see what it can do. Loving the sound.
cliffemu
Matrixsynth just reported a price drop and that someone ported the Braids code to the EC. I would be very interested to hear it in action.
kurodama
Yep, this is the article:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2016/08/microbe-modular-alternate-equation. html

kwil
Where can one order it for that price? When I go to the manufacturer's site, the link to the reseller doesn't have that price?
kurodama
Here from microbe directly? With free worldwide shipping
kwil
kurodama wrote:
Here from microbe directly? With free worldwide shipping

That's the page I used, it links to the reseller with no sign of the new price hmmm.....
kurodama
Oh you're right... there used to be a way to buy it directly... or am I remembering this wrong?
kwil
Sent an email to MM, he's going to touch base with the reseller.
Dogma
So will this potentially open braids code to more/different CV capabilities?
This is awesome news s is the near halving of the price!
Will it run bees in trees as well?
cliffemu
Dogma wrote:
So will this potentially open braids code to more/different CV capabilities?
This is awesome news s is the near halving of the price!
Will it run bees in trees as well?

I wonder: there's no screen so do you edit the code to create your 'preset' list to flip through? This could be more useful than actual braids in that case. Added cv control too. Waiting anxiously for someone to post a review...
kurodama
well if you have an EC you can already test the firmware. This said, the hardware of the two modules is a bit different, so don't expect it to be a 1:1 thing. It's a nice little addition to what you can do with an EC still.
kurodama
Quote:
there's no screen so do you edit the code to create your 'preset' list to flip through?

Braids doesn't have presets... so what are you referring to exactly?
cliffemu
kurodama wrote:

Braids doesn't have presets... so what are you referring to exactly?

Hi kurodama. I don't have an equation composer but have an interest in it. I had a braids and spent a lot of time in the menu system. Without a menu or more controls it would be difficult to set the internal VCA envelope or quantizer settings. (In BITT there are many more settings as well)
I'm asking for anyone that has the EC, how are these settings controlled in the new alternate firmware? If they must be set once in the code, then it would be rad if they changed coded values with the synthesis model to give a feeling of presets. I should probably assume, however, that they were stripped out of the port to reduce complexity. I am just curious to know what the UI (and code) is like in the new alt firmware before I make room to buy an EC.
kurodama
Quote:
Hi kurodama. I don't have an equation composer but have an interest in it. I had a braids and spent a lot of time in the menu system. Without a menu or more controls it would be difficult to set the internal VCA envelope or quantizer settings. (In BITT there are many more settings as well)
I'm asking for anyone that has the EC, how are these settings controlled in the new alternate firmware? If they must be set once in the code, then it would be rad if they changed coded values with the synthesis model to give a feeling of presets. I should probably assume, however, that they were stripped out of the port to reduce complexity. I am just curious to know what the UI (and code) is like in the new alt firmware before I make room to buy an EC.

Oh that's what you mean!
Well some settings like the sample rate and bit depth settings have been removed since the EC's DAC only runs at 48Khz (or 44.1Khz can't remember exacly) @ 12bit. The internal envelope should be there since the EC has a Gate input, but yeah... you'd have to set the parameters in the code. Don't know about the the other parameters... I guess you should be able to set things in the code as well...
I did run an early alpha version of the software, but that was missing stuff so I can't tell you for sure. I can't re-upload the firmware now to check since I'm currently using the EC with the stock firmware for some live performances.
dusk
couple questions:

1) if I want to add the additional programs on the site, do I add them in through the instructions on adding equations? just make the files available? anything special I need to do?

2) if I want to install custom loops what's the best way to do this?

3) if I want to test some of the equations on my computer, what's the best way to do that?

thanks! excited to dive into this module a bit more
kurodama
dusk wrote:

1) if I want to add the additional programs on the site, do I add them in through the instructions on adding equations? just make the files available? anything special I need to do?

Do you mean when adding these new alternate firmwares? The Braids Composer firmware replaces the stock one, so it's one or the other, I don't know about the other new things that are coming.
To upload a new firmware you need the Arduino IDE and a USB cable, it's very straightforward once you set everything up in the IDE

dusk wrote:

2) if I want to install custom loops what's the best way to do this?

There's an online tool from Microbe. I think it was posted here some time ago...

dusk wrote:

3) if I want to test some of the equations on my computer, what's the best way to do that?

On the computer I don't know... I use BitWiz for iOS to write and test them. It let's you use multiple variables which you can control from an XY pad with multiple touch points so using 2 fingers (using XY on one and either X or Y on the other) you can simulate the three knobs on the EC.
dusk
kurodama wrote:
dusk wrote:

Do you mean when adding these new alternate firmwares? The Braids Composer firmware replaces the stock one, so it's one or the other, I don't know about the other new things that are coming.
To upload a new firmware you need the Arduino IDE and a USB cable, it's very straightforward once you set everything up in the IDE

thanks for the response! I found the looper converter in this thread, I also found a ton of info on how to build these myself

http://wurstcaptures.untergrund.net/music/
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1112.1368v1.pdf

and obviously all of viznuts posts.

but what I meant by firmware, is that on your webpage, it says "Additional Programs (firmware customization required)" - so how do I add these additional programs? How do I remove the ones I don't want, and how do I add custom equations and custom programs that I build? do I just add the source and headers files, link them in the ino file, and then upload the new updated firmware to the module through usb?
dusk
also.. what program is the.. looper?

there is an equation looper.. but I dont see any kind of sample looper.. where are devines two sample loops saved? I want to go digging through code and check out how it's built.
kurodama
Quote:
but what I meant by firmware, is that on your webpage, it says "Additional Programs (firmware customization required)" - so how do I add these additional programs? How do I remove the ones I don't want, and how do I add custom equations and custom programs that I build? do I just add the source and headers files, link them in the ino file, and then upload the new updated firmware to the module through usb?

Just to avoid misunderstandings: it's not my website and I'm not directly part of Microbe. I'm just the guy who designed the panel graphics and the promotional illustrations.
But I've had my EC for some time and I think I can help you with your questions.

So how do you customize the "stock" firmware?

I suppose that you are familiar with the official documents heremicrobemodular.com/products/equation-composer/overview and with using the Arduino IDE, that you have downloaded the last stable version of the firmware and that you have been able to successfully compile and upload the code to the EC (if not let me know).

Changing the programs available when turning the PRG knob is done in the main .INO file, confusingly the Programs are called "SYNTHS" there.
Go to line 112 (or around that) and you'll see "Synth *active_synths[] {" and list of loaded programs/synths. you can comment them out ( with "//") or delete them. Make sure that the NUMBER_OF_SYNTHS value matches the number of active lines there.

The equations can be changed in the EquationBankXXX.cpp files,. where XXX is the name of the three banks: Khepri, Prah and Sobek

You get a SWITCH function with each Equation being enclosed in a CASE statement. The syntax must be respected, so check the currently present equations to see how to write them properly.
You can add or remove Equations here, but make sure the value of number_of_equations matches the amount of equations in the file.

That's basically it.
dusk
kurodama wrote:

That's basically it.

ya! I was able to add a few of my own equations last night and got them into the modular.

so if I want to make a new synth, I can do that, and then just make to include the Class name in the active synth array?

also! what are some ways to get the equation speed to 'sync' with a gate input? is there something clever i can do with the 'speed' CV? or is there a way I can control tempo by writing some code to receive a trigger signal and beatmatching to it? or... something?
kurodama
Cool!

I hope there's somebody here more technically apt than I am to reply to your questions above, because I'm certainly not the right person to get deeper into the whole programming of the EC. But yeah, the EC code is modular in itself, so you can also build your own programs by combining existing modules. And you can add your own modules, string them together into programs (synths) and then add those to the INO file.

Quote:
also! what are some ways to get the equation speed to 'sync' with a gate input? is there something clever i can do with the 'speed' CV? or is there a way I can control tempo by writing some code to receive a trigger signal and beatmatching to it? or... something?

Tricky... the rhythmic aspects of the equations depends on the equation itself so I don't know if a standard solution would even be possible. You could do some math with sample rate, and the clock detected on the gate input doing some PLL on the gate input to increase the resolution, but it might be very tricky and require some more low level programming... but as I said, I'm not the right person to give you an answer on this one sorry.
dusk
kurodama wrote:

Tricky... the rhythmic aspects of the equations depends on the equation itself so I don't know if a standard solution would even be possible. You could do some math with sample rate, and the clock detected on the gate input doing some PLL on the gate input to increase the resolution, but it might be very tricky and require some more low level programming... but as I said, I'm not the right person to give you an answer on this one sorry.

ya, I'm gonna play around with a mungo s0 and clouds in time stretch mode to see if I can what I want while I figure out how to code it into EC (or if it's even possible or worth it).

hope someone here can help! if not, I'll spend some time with it and post any findings I come across.
kurodama
ok, seems like a plan! thumbs up

I was thinking about the thing, and the best solution would of course to generate some trigger pulses based on the sampling frequency along with the equation output, which is unfortunately not possible, since the EC only has one output.
kurodama
btw. you could post your question here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161391&highlight=

There might be people better suited to answer your question! Maybe it could even be an inspiration for somebody to code something...
maltemark
Can't get the thought of viznut^pwp action in modular.
mazzyboy
Hello. Can any users of this module give me some info?

Some of the modes use the gate input to clock the device - does this mean that you lose the 'reset' function on these modes? In particular, I'm thinking of the 'patterns' and 'drum player' modes.

If so, is there any way to manually reset these modes? Do they reset after a few seconds wait? Or how are you guys syncing up to other sequences?
mazzyboy
Shameless bump!

Really want to know a little more before i part with my cash!
mazzyboy
OK, So the stock firmware doesnt have a reset for the pattern and drum player modes.

So I roped in a good friend with some programming skills and we have come up with an adapted firmware. We disabled the internal clock in these two modes (which only really served to audition the sounds) and have created a reset module. This resets to the last step if there is no clock input for 4 seconds.

So these modes now need a clock to run, but will play nicely when you want to sync them up to other sequencers.

(The other modes have not been affected.)

In my opinion this now takes this module to a whole other level!

Our new firm ware can be found here:

https://github.com/harveyormston/EquationComposer

Hope it is of use to you guys!
VanEck
mazzyboy wrote:
OK, So the stock firmware doesnt have a reset for the pattern and drum player modes.

So I roped in a good friend with some programming skills and we have come up with an adapted firmware. We disabled the internal clock in these two modes (which only really served to audition the sounds) and have created a reset module. This resets to the last step if there is no clock input for 4 seconds.

So these modes now need a clock to run, but will play nicely when you want to sync them up to other sequencers.

(The other modes have not been affected.)

In my opinion this now takes this module to a whole other level!

Our new firm ware can be found here:

https://github.com/harveyormston/EquationComposer

Hope it is of use to you guys!

Looking forward to installing and giving this a go. Thanks!
kurodama
This is interesting. Very clever idea with the reset!

Which preset synths did you modify exactly?
mazzyboy
kurodama wrote:
This is interesting. Very clever idea with the reset!

Which preset synths did you modify exactly?

This should only affect the 'patterns' and 'drum player' modes. (I think that's modes 4 and 7 - need to double check that)
mazzyboy
VanEck wrote:

Looking forward to installing and giving this a go. Thanks!

Thanks! Let us know if it works ok for you!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 6