MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Newbie help with beginner Blacet system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Newbie help with beginner Blacet system
jc
I am a total newb, looking for some advice on my first modular synth. Right now, I'm exploring different formats and just discovered Blacet. I'm only looking for a very basic set up because 1) I don't know what I'm really doing lol and 2) I'd like to keep my initial costs down to around $1,000-$1,200.

Here is my modular grid rack, any advice is appreciated:
http://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/50412
e-grad
Congrats for going Blacet!

How do you want to controll your modular? Do you have a keyboard featuring CV and gate outputs?

Are you willing to solder the modules yourself?
jc
I have no DIY experience and do not plan on soldering. confused I would be buying assembled modules...wish I had the experince but I don't.

I've only own one type of synth instrument (a doepfer dark energy) and rarely used a keyboard. I do have a keyboard though it's MIDI only. But I really don't plan on using to much.

Mainly, I want to learn the basics of how to create patches and make cool sounds.

Been looking at Blacet since my last post and I really am liking the look and sound of it, it's very exciting!
Moog$FooL$
i can't really offer any advice perse', but i think u are headed in the right direction. thumbs up

if you like the look & sound.... just go with. there's a lot of frac users around here that will be able to help you in the future.

good luck!!
Blacet Blacet Blacet hyper
jc
Cool, that's good to know! Thanks.
jc
Cool, that's good to know! Thanks.
werock
Looks like a good start - my only suggestion would be to think about adding an LFO for a modulation source.
jc
Thanks all, the rack looked a lot better than earlier. I had some help over at Blacet via email in getting everything in order too, plus a good explanation on what the each particular module can do. They are very helpful over there, that's a big plus.
fluxmonkey
werock wrote:
Looks like a good start - my only suggestion would be to think about adding an LFO for a modulation source.

i'd agree... maybe swap out the ADSR for a DAD and an LFO?
jc
Oh, I do like that better than just an envelope. I could do a lot with that I bet. Thanks.
jc
How about the F340? I can understand what that does over the F350. I am sure both are good but was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Cloud Generator?
werock
I've got one and I like it. Having it generate multiple detuned saw or sine waves is especially handy in a small system, when you haven't got space (or budget) for multiple VCOs. But it is kind of a one trick pony.

But I don't have a 350 to compare it to waah
e-grad
Your proposed set up has some serious constraints. Let me point out some of them even though you might be aware of them:

Very limited pitch controll of the VCOs and very limited way of triggering you envelopes since you've basically no keyboard (no midi input), no sequencer nor a dedicated noise source which could be used as a CV and trigger source albeit a random one.

Since Blacet VCAs open fully at 10V while Doepfers at 5V your Doepfer envelope won't open fully your Blacet VCA. Yet your Blacet EG will open both the Dark Energy’s VCA and the SuperVCA.

The SuperVCA will be a good choice since it can be used as a mixer, as a splitter and VCA at the same time. For my part I love this VCA bcs you can dial in its response curve.

However, you might look into the Improbability Drive as kind of controller, skip the ADSR and go for a DAD. BTW both have push button so they could be triggered manually.
jc
No, I didn't really think about that, so thanks. I went ahead and added a MIDI2910 as I have a midi keyboard controller. I do have a MFOS external (if that's the right word) sequencer I bought on EBay last year to drive my Dark Energy (I sold the DE). So that's an option too, forgot about the MFOS sequencer I had. To use the sequencer, I would run the cable from the CV out of the sequencer to one of the CV in's of the module, I think.
Kyhotay
What are you doing for power and a case?
rezzn8r
The mixer/splitter seems to be taking up a lot of real estate for a system of that size. I would maybe think about adding it later, if you choose to expand. The Mixer/Processor might be more useful in the near term, if the DualVCA isn't enough mixing power for your needs.
Is Blacet going to do another run of the Synth Tech modules soon? If not, I might suggest a Binary Zone in place of the Cloud Gen. The BZ is a very fun module!
jc
Kyhotay wrote:

John said RAK 2, so I'd probably go with that.
jc
Kyhotay wrote:

John said RAK 2, so I'd probably go with that.
jc
I'll have to look at the Binary Zone now. Thanks! ...sorry about the double post above, damn PC tablet...
solitaryzen
jc wrote:
How about the F340? I can understand what that does over the F350. I am sure both are good but was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Cloud Generator?

They are very different oscillators. The F350 can generate a whole variety of timbres, but is very digital sounding. Works very nicely as an interesting LFO too. The F340 is also digital but is capable of some nice fat analog sounding sawtooth waves (which will work nicely with the filter), and is great as a sine wave oscillator. If you were just starting with the F350 instead of the F340, you wouldn't necessarily need the filter.
chachi
are the frac synthtech modules readily available? they don't show as "in stock" on any site but TBH i've never asked..
causticlogic
If you are interested in a FD3120 Frequency Divider and are in the US, i have one i am selling as cheap as the kit. Factory built. Never used.
jc
causticlogic wrote:
If you are interested in a FD3120 Frequency Divider and are in the US, i have one i am selling as cheap as the kit. Factory built. Never used.

Yeah, I might be interested in that once I get closer to getting my system, which I hope will not be too far off. Thanks.
jc
I didn't realize that the synth tech modules were out of stock. I'll have to email Blacet and ask. I might have to reconsider my set up too.
e-grad
BTW What kind of music are you into?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2