MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New for 2013: The 311C Dual JAG Controller!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New for 2013: The 311C Dual JAG Controller!
chamomileshark
sounds great and looks lovely! Mark
mirri
Wow! Just wow!
e-grad
I'm possibly the only person who prefers the more straightforward black 1200series look?
Babaluma
nah, i always preferred black 1200 series too.
sonicwarrior
Is this a standalone unit in a closed case or does it need a case/cabinet and power supply?
carygrace
sonicwarrior wrote:
Is this a standalone unit in a closed case or does it need a case/cabinet and power supply?

As with the earlier Wiard controllers, there isn't a backing box/enclosure, to keep the depth to an absolute minimum for those wanting to mount it in custom cases, but it will also mount in any 19" 2U rack space.

It requires +/-15V, same as the rest of the 300 Series, which connects via a right-angle (flat) mounted Molex KK header on the underside.
xpando
any chance banana jacks will be offered in any way? this new controller would also be great to use with other systems/formats such as Serge and Bugbrand/frac which also often use the 19" enclosures.

since you guys have supported banana jacks on previous controllers it'd be great to see it offered as an option on this.
carygrace
xpando wrote:
any chance banana jacks will be offered in any way?

No, sorry.

xpando wrote:
since you guys have supported banana jacks on previous controllers it'd be great to see it offered as an option on this.

The original voltmeter/joysticks controller (not JAG) had some multi-format mults with banana, 1/4", and RCA. Is this what you are referring to? As I have used all the available space with new features, there was no room to include mults or adapters on the controller itself, but one could easily make up a 19" panel with format conversion to use with any system, or use adapter cables.
a scanner darkly
I do prefer the black 310 (I might be biased a little since I will be getting one soon :-) but this looks stunning, great work Cary!

And hoping this will lead to more ideas on how to use it in different ways now that more people will have them. Quadrature LFO is a great addition, that's one of the things I'm planning to try first. I don't have a 300 system, will be mostly using it with Euro, it should make for very interesting pairings with ADDAC Filterbank, VCA Matrix and Modcan Quad LFO...

For interfacing with bananas I ordered a 1U minijack/banana Metalbox panel, will add up nicely to 3U.
drumsofd00m
As great as the new module is (I'm especially fond of the quadrature oscs, which are new in Wiard land, and of the various gating modes - cool stuff), I'm looking for a 311B. Anyone want to get rid of theirs to help financing the new one? Get in touch!
drumsofd00m
One thing I've always appreciated about Wiard instruments is that they motivate me to read up on subjects that are tangent to something in the modules. This time it's various aspects of Fresnel lenses like spatial control (of light itself or of other objects, whether it's in seafaring, holography, interior lighting, or aviation), and quadrature - both of which this module deals with as the top "layers"/ most accessible functions.

Many synthesizer modules are fairly two-dimensional. That's not a derogatory comment at all, it's enough for many musical applications to just have a) a signal source and b) certain paramaters for it, and assertively two-dimensional, graphic interfaces are the most quick ones to grasp for someone who's new to an instrument (Buchla 200 is probably a good example). Wiard modules always seem to have at least one more dimension.

Not sure if that makes sense outside my head/ to others. If not, on a more immediate level the sheer physical depth of the modules with their enclosures (as an outward expression of the designer's way of thinking, even if maybe initially it just seemed a pragmatic choice) and the flexibility to program them into very different, sometimes even opposing functions, might be indicative of what I mean.
But, to be more specific about the 311C:

Quadrature LFO outputs into JAG = circular panning --> cf. lighthouses --> cf. use of Fresnel lenses --> cf. this module with its quadrature LFOs. Full circle. ^^

(And yes, I am into producing "tonal" music more than self-running patches or mere theory/ philosophy. Back to patching now, and maybe someone can frame my shallow bit of WikiGoogle-based self-infotainment a bit more substantially.)
mcbinc
Love the momentary pushbuttons, they're kind of inviting. Who manufactures these?
carygrace
The panels have arrived.

This is how they look in normal light:

And here they are in UV light (blacklight):

All the white printing is done with a special UV reactive pigment which glows very brightly under UV lighting.
drumsofd00m
Cool! Nice to see this idea come true! Makes me imagine how an entire system would look this way... sort of like an aquarium (colored patchcords given), or a star-spattered sky.
Babaluma
beautiful, love the bevelled edges on the joystick surrounds too! very professional, fantastic design.

any price on these yet cary?
flts
http://www.wiard.com/stocklist.htm

"Model 311C Dual JAG Controller — £775.00 (GBP)
Shipping soon."
Babaluma
cheers, very reasonable for what you get (8 modules), and the obviously very high build quality.
flts
yeah, it's a very good price i'd say.
otoskope
This looks wonderful!

Back to the banana question - I understand you cannot ship it with banans. But how are the jacks done? Can it be bananafied by the user? All my system is bananafrac, including a large number of Wiard 1200 series and other Wiard-related stuff (wogglebug, miniwaves etc). It would be wonderful to incorporate this new-new controller, too. So - are the jacks panel-mount or pcb-mount? Space enough to swap them for bananas?

/Palle
slow_riot
I sympathise completely with the choice to focus singularly on the format... that's what makes the W300 special. With music itself and with music interfaces, you can't change one thing without this change impacting other areas.

Strive for perfection and never compromise. There's a reason I sold all my gear apart from my 300 series, and that is not down to one module.
carygrace
otoskope wrote:
This looks wonderful!

Back to the banana question - I understand you cannot ship it with banans. But how are the jacks done? Can it be bananafied by the user? All my system is bananafrac, including a large number of Wiard 1200 series and other Wiard-related stuff (wogglebug, miniwaves etc). It would be wonderful to incorporate this new-new controller, too. So - are the jacks panel-mount or pcb-mount? Space enough to swap them for bananas?

/Palle

The jack wiring is on a PCB, and the jacks are then attached to the panel with nuts, which also serves to hold the panel to the boards (similar construction to the 300 Series jack boards). The main board is underneath, and attaches to the jack board with pillars and fixed spacing interconnects. The LEDs and their resistors are on the top PCB with the jacks, so the depth is not adjustable, even if you did change the way the boards were supported. So, no, sorry, I don't think this would be possible.
otoskope
Thanks Cary for taking the time to answer my question. It seems difficult, then. But you'd be surprised what people have done to bananafy modules, for example the 1200 series frac JAG - most things are possible to solve.

/Palle
carygrace
Just to update, since I have been receiving a lot of inquiries: the 311C Controllers are indeed shipping now. Currently there is approximately a 1-2 week delivery time on new orders.

Optional pre-made wiring assemblies for auxiliary panel mounting are also available for the LFO CV inputs (3.5mm or Bantam jacks) and gate mode set switching (toggle switches).
plord
Confirmed that they are shipping smile

Here's one in its natural habitat:

and here is the Frac ear I had fabbed to hold the LFO CV jacks and buton mode toggles. Cary made up the cables to spec and they are secured to the inside of the cabinet.

Audio/video to follow.
revmutt
very tasteful as usual Paul.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3