MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analog Shift Register
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Analog Shift Register
maudibe
Anyone using the Elby ASR? Thought it could be a nice team up with the forthcoming Metropolis smile

But interested if anyone has experience with them / thoughts.

Ta!
analogue01
I wish. It is too long for my case. I badly want an ASR, though I'm thinking of just settling with a Quantimator. The E102 is sure to be amazing, too.
Opus110
Have one, love it! I don't use it that often, but when I do, I have a lot of fun. I don't have any examples, but I remember working on a patch this past spring that featured the Elby with three VCOs, a sequencer and Doepfer's dual trigger delay.

I know I have yet to explore all its possibilities. So far, I've only used it to send its outputs to different VCOs - and now that I have a Phonogene, I see even more possibilities in that direction - but I have yet to experiment sending them to different module types.
mojopin
i have one but haven't used it the traditional way yet. in fact, i think i have only used it in one patch so far. if you run the clock at audio rates and mix the outputs, you get a crude filter.
p3t0r
I have the elby, build it myself from the kit. Very deep indeed. There is a slight difference in voltage when a voltage is shifted to the next register in mine. Tried to calibrated but haven't succeeded so far... apart from that it works well.
milkshake

Not exactly the same (same results can be made), but it can do so much more. And its skiff friendly.
jonne74
If the 5U ASR demos on YouTube are any indication, then the Synth Tech E-102 will probably be amazing.
Summa
yeah the E102 looks great if you use it a lot, it's quite big... how about the Plan B M23? I've been looking for one for ages, haven't found a single one in the BST section...
ndkent
Have the Plan B. Can't say I use it that much but since an ASR is hard to come by and has Serge inspired roots I don't want to let it go. Definitely something that might best be used with a sequencer, you don't have to but one does have to consider harmony and composition to really use it, imho.

Malcolm Cecil said he had 12 stages built by Serge and kept them off to the side somewhere as TONTO had been filled up

The Doepfer indeed does other things like select multiple sources based on a CV amount but does not do classic ASR. What Doepfer and the Plan B have in common and unlike the Elby/CGS design is they use a programmed microcontroller.

Wonder how the CGS design differs from Serge and if the CGS PCB is out of production because the Serge one is in the works. The Elby one is still available of course
maudibe
Thanks for the input - apart from the Elby self builds it looks like an unobtanium module...the Doepfer is not true ASR... shame.

I fancied getting a bank of them. Thats a lot of happy soldering to do smile

Thanks guys - anymore ideas welcome.
milkshake
maudibe wrote:
the Doepfer is not true ASR... shame.

That's what I wrote in the post.
But you can get the same results as an ASR.
Its a great module that can do a lot more than simple ASR duties.
microfauna
milkshake wrote:
maudibe wrote:

But only for one specific patch as described in the manual. You can't duplicate all ASR patches with it.
Baszline
David Dixon has released a DIY ASR module based on the CGS/Serge one (which I still have to build) (hides)
Navs
The 'Arabesque' patch can get old quick, but think of them as a chain of S&Hs or a very short BBD for other ideas e.g. rather than sending a CV on a round robin, try adding and subtracting old and new values.
analogue01
Summa wrote:
... how about the Plan B M23? I've been looking for one for ages, haven't found a single one in the BST section...

You and me both sad banana
milkshake
microfauna wrote:
milkshake wrote:
maudibe wrote:

But only for one specific patch as described in the manual. You can't duplicate all ASR patches with it.

I am very curious witch patches a real ARS can do that the A-152 (modded to S&H) can't do.
polyroy
The Plan B one is good, but it's good because it's simple and there isn't any other options really. I'm surprised no-one else hasn't released an ASR module in all this time.
analogue01
I think I remember reading that Intellijel had designed a small ASR, but after releasing the 2hp utilities decided demand wasn't high enough.

Edit: Also the Malekko Q-ASR that has never emerged.
polyroy
analogue01 wrote:
I think I remember reading that Intellijel had designed a small ASR, but after releasing the 2hp utilities decided demand wasn't high enough.

Yeah, that's what I meant by there hasn't been one released. The Malekko one looked really cool from what I can remember and I can definitely see it being pretty popular.
analogue01
I think ASRs might be hard to conceptualize for people who haven't used them. Closest thing out there to the Q-ASR is the Quantimator, and even that isn't really being marketed as an ASR/sample&hold.

polyroy wrote:
analogue01 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant by there hasn't been one released. The Malekko one looked really cool from what I can remember and I can definitely see it being pretty popular.
analogue01
The Intellijel ASR idea pops up at the end of this thread. That was three years ago. sad banana

Maybe we can petition Danjel.
oskies
[quote="milkshake"]
I am very curious witch patches a real ARS can do that the A-152 (modded to S&H) can't do.[/quote]

An asr (like the plan b I scored recently nanners ) can do the following: Feed in a control signal (like a keyboard cv). Hit clock every second. Get from the outputs the keyboard values at 1,2 and 3 secs ago.

Now imagine the cv is from a sequencer or arpeggiator, and the clock is in sync / outta sync with the sequencer. Very cool permutations of the main sequence.

Another thing that is cool is to use feedback, so use stage 4, exor with stage 3, back to input. This is how you make digital noise w/ digital shiftregisters. Now do this analog.... endless fun

So yeah, (danjel!) I want an 8 stages analog shiftregister, and I'm
waiting for the synttech 102 (which is not an 8stage, but has a somewhat similar flavor).
analogue01
oskies wrote:
the plan b I scored recently nanners

You're making me jealous over here cry
grape tony
i have 2 plan b asrs. essential to me. the E102 is more up m alley as it is digital meaning there will be little, if any lag/voltage change, which when having infrequent, or slow clocks on the plan b or elby, drifts occur.
regardless, the plan b is great, i will there were more available!
great utility function for creating movement/staccato/etc
mheumann
The Zorlon Cannon is described as a "Dual Linear Feedback Shift Register Battery," which does contain the words "shift register." Honestly, I don't know much about shift registers so don't know how this differs from the others, but I thought I'd mention it since the new version just came out this week.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7