MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Analog Shift Register
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Analog Shift Register
microfauna
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oskies wrote:
curious - maybe we have the order of the switching different (polarity of the short deyay?). Here, it's 8,7,6,5,4,3,2 in rapid succession, then resting at 1.

I trigger maths ch4 to get a quick decay, and use the EOC to trigger renee, otherways I just get 0123 stages asr.

I wonder if Dieter knew about this patch when he christened the A152 - how did you come up with this?

What I'm calling stage 1 is an unshifted sample of the cv at the ASR input at the time of the clock. Are you calling that stage 0?

I think how I'm calling the stages is causing the confusion. Maybe I've got it wrong. I thought that is what it means on the Elby ASR, Quantimator etc. Maybe someone can clarify that.

So my patch is for 1 sample of the cv on the clock and 3 shifted.

The switching is 8,7,6,5,4,3,2, resting on 1

As I said the idea of the patching came from taking elements of the A-148 x4 patch using the switching to replicate the cascading of ins and outs and your quad comparator patch and trying to make that work with the A-152.

Doepfer call it an ASR on the module page because there is faux ASR patch described, which is nothing like this one, and which only works for one specific ASR patch ie VCOs xn with the same sound and the same tuning.
oskies
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And for those that want to understand this patch, here are my notes (so I can find them back later lol )

For patch, see picture.

Essential idea is that by using a short decaying pulse to the CV, you activate the 152 stages in rapid succession (8765432 and rest at 1).

If you trigger the pulse, ASRin is stored at th5, which acts as ASR out 1, and
at the same time, th5 is moved to th2, where it is waiting for the next pulse.

Second pulse: new input is stored at th5, and th2 is moved to th6 - this is then ASR out 2. Etc. The signals run around in circles...

Last edited by oskies on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
oskies
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Microfauna wrote: What I'm calling stage 1 is an unshifted sample of the cv at the ASR input at the time of the clock. Are you calling that stage 0?

Yes, and I think calling that stage one is perfectly fine. What I should have said, if you want to get the max nr of delays steps from a sequence, then the relative timing of the seq and asr matters - so the way I do it, stage 0 of the asr is already one step behind, and so the last stage of the asr is precisely 4 steps behind - see the earlier o'toole screenshot.

By now, I think we have out-nerded most fellow wigglers. I'm gonna see if I can come up with even more crazy 152 patches. I also sort of have the suspicion that by using maybe one additional module, we may turn this into an 8 stage shifter zombie

It's on!
microfauna
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oskies wrote:

stage 0 of the asr is already one step behind, and so the last stage of the asr is precisely 4 steps behind - see the earlier o'toole screenshot.

I can't see the screenshot only embed data. Is that just me?

Maybe you could add a note on your info diagram about which are the ASR in and the 4 outs.
oskies
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

will try to update notes and fix missing attachment later this weekend.

Using one extra module and some luck, I just got a full 7 (EDIT: not 8 - for that you probably need the S/H mod for the a152) stage asr from the 152. Details to follow, but maybe others want to solve this puzzle first spinning

Last edited by oskies on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
udbhav
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This thread has served to confirm my sneaking suspicion that the A-152 should be my next purchase.

Such an amazingly flexible module, had a much harder time wrapping my head around it when I first got into modular synthesis.

microfauna
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OK oskies let's be having you

A-152 + 2 modules for a 7 stage (1 + 6 shifted) is the best I can do.

The patch requires A-152, VCO (preferably with hard sync), VC switch (A-150, Malekko Switch etc) and some stackables.

The VCO is used to clock the A-152 at audio rate and the VC switch starts and stops this clocking, starting at step1 and stopping at step 8. It uses a similar technique of using the switching to cascade the ins and outs of the T&Hs.

A-152
Addr. ccw
Common Switches In/Out to Common T&H Input

SW I/O to T&H Outs
Use stackables for the stages that you want to use ASR outs
1-2
2-3
3-4
4-5
5-6
6-7
7-8

SW I/O 8 - ASR In
T&H Outs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 - ASR Outs1,2,3,4,5,6,7

VCO set at medium frequency
VCO square to A-150 I/O1. This is the input which is selected when there is no CV going to the cv in.
A-152 Dig. Out 8 to A-150 cv in
Trigger for ASR to A-150 I/O2 and sync of VCO

Adjust the frequency of the VCO so that it clocks the A-152 without a noticeable delay between the ASR outs but samples reliably. There is a balance to be struck. Due to limitations of how quickly the A-152 can sample and switch, you will find that if you clock it too quickly the higher voltages won’t be sampled properly. This is becomes more noticable for the higher stages of the ASR as the voltages get shifted along.

There other ways of doing the patch using other modules to clock the A-152 (e.g. looping VCS) and to replace the VC switch (e.g logic modules).

Last edited by microfauna on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
microfauna
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A-152 7 stage ASR in action
[s]http://soundcloud.com/microfauna-uk/hocketandphase[/s]
milkshake
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@microfauna: Thanks, learned a lot.
thumbs up
oskies
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Microfauna,

exactly, thats the way I do it too. I was going to post the patch but you beat me too it.

To generate the burst of 8 clock pulses that you need to step the asr forward, and to make sure it starts out that the correct stage, I use a little additional trick:

I use a Peg to generate the burst of clockpulse that are needed (but you can use a switch also, or a LFO that can hold like the E355). For the peg: let it run at high rate (for example feeding it first some quick pulses), and connect EOF to clock in of the 152.

Connect Dig out of step 8 of the A152 to the async in of your peg. To trigger a step of the ASR, send a reset to the A152. The 152 goes to step 1, so digi out 8 goes low, allowing the PEG (or LFO with hold) to run, until stage 8 is reached, after which the PEG stops running and the ASR has set one step. Is a cool trick to generate bursts - maybe there are smarter ways.

In any case: the A152 can act as a 7 stage ASR. Would be good if all threads have such a happy end!

Finally, if you do the SH mod for the A152, I'm pretty sure it can do 8 stage ASR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: