MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Schematics for RSF Kobol Keyboard
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Schematics for RSF Kobol Keyboard
Kent
Hey guys,

Does anyone have a set of schemes for a Kobol or Kobol Keyboard that they could send me? It would be much appreciated.

Kent
oberkorn
Hi Kent
I know this link for the kobol expander I and II.
I've never seen the keyboard schematics.
hope this helps!

http://www.univertron.com/SAS/manuals/RSF/
mOBiTh
we need to get this thing cloned!

hihi
Synthsense
Cloned ARP 2600, Oberheim OB-Xa, EMS VCS3, Sytem 700, Serge, Buchlas and so on... If someone comes now with a Kobol Clone, pheew, that would make so many 'diy aficionados' very happy

This thread is a good option to introducing the Kobol and Polykobols to the people that may have not listened to them before:

The Kobol is one of the best synthesizer designs ever done, let alone its polyphonic version, the Polykobol. If by any chance you havent't heard one in action, there are plenty of Youtube videos from user NightBirds31 What an awesome machine! Drugs

Two nice snippets:

Rigo
There's also a Kobol demo on Vince Clarke's website, part 7 in his Analogue Monologues ...
Great sounding synths w00t

Edit: and plus a lot for a Kobol clone!
filterstein
All those other clones are discrete designs, they use no CEM or SSM chips in the voice circuits.
The only exception is the adsr circuit in the crowbx.
The rsf kobol and polykobol are not discrete.
So it would take reverse engineerring those custom chips in a way that the complete circuit would sound like a kobol.
Perhaps not impossible, but even more effort than the current clones.
I expect there are not a lot of volunteers for this and it would take a lot of parts compared to a real kobol.
Isaiah
I think there's a company at makes a 5U RSF-style VCO...
mOBiTh
filterstein wrote:
All those other clones are discrete designs, they use no CEM or SSM chips in the voice circuits.
The only exception is the adsr circuit in the crowbx.
The rsf kobol and polykobol are not discrete.
So it would take reverse engineerring those custom chips in a way that the complete circuit would sound like a kobol.
Perhaps not impossible, but even more effort than the current clones.
I expect there are not a lot of volunteers for this and it would take a lot of parts compared to a real kobol.

custom chips = booooooooooooooo sad banana
Synthsense
Isaiah

Yes, the french company is called Mos-Lab and they sell the VCO module for 280€ each:

http://www.mos-lab.com/#!kobol-vco/c2088

The Kobol ICs are the SSM2050 for the VCOs and SSM2040 for the VCFs, two of each. A friend of mine told me there is a company selling refurbished SSM2040 and NEW! SSM2040 too, I have found those chips in Ebay selling for 48$ refurbished and 78$ new, but no idea if this is new manufacture or not and no idea of SSM2050s availability from same company too.....maybe we are not that far away seriously, i just don't get it

Ebay Link: SSM2040 IC
nidas
Mos-lab have also cloned the Kobol Expoander!!
tobb
Synthsense wrote:

The Kobol ICs are the SSM2050 for the VCOs and SSM2040 for the VCFs, two of each.

Its one 2040 for the VCF and two 2050's for the envelopes

vco's uses ua726
patroche
I cloned expander 1 and 2 . here schematic and doc
RSF expander 1
RSF expander 2
Jarno
Wow, very nice!
Did you finish it already, or is it a work in progress still? Any sounds?

I must say, you have done some amazing stuff!
phutureboy
Nice.
I guess Fillipov will take these and offer the PCBs for sale very soon ...
PWM
Oooh, i'd love myself a polykobol..!!
efexor
patroche wrote:
I cloned expander 1 and 2 . here schematic and doc
RSF expander 1
RSF expander 2

You have them from the Programmeur also?
patroche
I have build and tested expander 1 and 2
They are working properly and it's a clone from the original (same components and schématic)

Quote:

No programmeur does not interest me

Quote:
Nice.

I think it will be quite complicated to build because some components are rare to find

Ang old pict
Jarno
Ca ne marche pas grin
phutureboy
patroche wrote:
I think it will be quite complicated to build because some components are rare to find

Didn't stop him from building a CS-80 clone which has components even more rare...
papz
Joli
Merci pour le partage.
roman_f
patroche wrote:
I have build and tested expander 1 and 2
They are working properly and it's a clone from the original (same components and schématic)

Quote:

No programmeur does not interest me

Quote:
Nice.

Ang old pict

i've been working on a kobol-inspired synth as well, but it's gonna be a different thing

great project and great job done!
Axum
patroche
Hi

Thank you for publishing your superb work on on the Kobal....

If you get time I'd love to see the "CAVAGNOLO DJET004 Manuel Technique" on your website..... unusual instruments are so attractive.

Cheers

tc
mOBiTh
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Man, a kobol is top of my list - would really love to build one. Great work!

we're not worthy
patroche
tobb
not bad
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2