MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

how to fill the space?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author how to fill the space?
rezzn8r
I have 4 spaces to fill in a 2-rack frac system, and was wondering what other wigglers would suggest I could install.
The system currently includes the following;

Blacet 2100 VCO
Blacet 2070 EG
Blacet 2410 Dual VCA
Blacet 2040 Mix/Proc
Blacet 2430 uLFO
Blacet 2210 Mult/Attn
Blacet 2910 Midiverter
Bananalogue VCS
Livewire FrequenSteiner
FoH Plague Bearer
Cynthia Saw Animator

I would love to drop a Borg and a Boogie in there and be done with it, but I could wait until the cows come home for those to become available.
Not really concerned with sequencing, more interested in maximum sonic potential.
I may be patient enough to wait for the next batch of BugBrand, and perhaps be lucky enough to score a PTdelay or LPG (or both hyper ), but what else could I hope to aquire to fill the space?
The STG Mankato is another serious contender, and one of the few things I've seen available 'off-the-shelf'. Anything else?

cheers,
derek
parasitk
A second Blacet VCO

STG Wave Folder

Blacet Window Comparator (which can do really cool distortion – search around for clips here)
DGTom
The Window Comp. fuzz isn't really worh the price of entry alone IMO, the VC Ramp gen is pretty cool tho, but I use it in seq'ing logic type roles mostly.

No Miniwave? The Blacet VCO does work really well in pairs thumbs up
parasitk
Oh snap, MiniWave too.

Well, looks like you already need another Frack Rack!
goiks
in my order of preference:
miniwave
another vco
mankato
stg wavefolder
rezzn8r
hmmm...several suggestions for a 2nd Blacet VCO...going to have to give that some serious thought.
Re: miniwave, I have one in my modcan system and wasn't really looking to duplicate, although from the "maximum sonic potntial" perspective, it definately makes sense.

I was Really trying to keep this to 2 racks (I know, haha) to keep it portable. As I understand it, if I go to 3 racks I might as well do 4.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
Not really concerned with sequencing, more interested in maximum sonic potential.

With that goal in mind:
- MiniWave (edit) since you have the Modcan version...
- STG Wave Folder Suit And Tie Guy!

- 2 more Frac racks
- BugBrand BugBrand!
consider a Weevil instead of a second Blacet VCO.

Do you have a noise source? Improbability Drive
balanced modulator? Klangwerk
If I were you I would give serious consideration to some of the modules in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.
At the moment Plord has an EG1 for $100, and TragedybySyntax has an MOTM 1490 Ladder (VCF/sine osc.) for $150!
rezzn8r
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

- BugBrand BugBrand!
consider a Weevil instead of a second Blacet VCO.

Are there plans to release the weevil in minijack?
If I do another 2 racks of frac, it will be ALL It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! no doubt!!
parasitk
Since you have a MiniWave, I'd really have to push the VCO and Wave Folder. Lots of timbre options! SlayerBadger!

Add more racks for Bugbrand if/when they become available. Don't count on it now. This is fun!
DGTom
Yeah, I think a Moratorium on recommendations for stuff which isn't 'in stock' is in order Mr. Green

Best timbral buck-bang would be VCO + Wave Folder SlayerBadger!

Lately I've extended on of the neat Blacet VCO Patches - Tri out -> +/- Octave In (audio from VCW) - by using 2 VCOs which are synced with crossed modded +/- Octave ins... wierd bendy tones where the waveform skews as notes change screaming goo yo

The Blacet VCO is so tricked out its more fun to have two Dinner at the Y
fluxmonkey
once more with feeling: 2nd VCO. blacet's VCOs are made for FM in general, cross mod in particular. also, they can be forced down to glacially slow speeds via external CV.

CGS Digital Noise from metalbox. mod it with a range switch to get it down to random-sequence speeds. among other things, it's pretty great as an FM input to the VCOs. half-width module.

2nd uLFO... those same fm/crossmod tricks also do good things for CVs... OR trick out the rack ears with some attenuators and mults, get some short Y-chords, and get rid of the 2210. (there's room for a CGS real ringmod in the ears, as well). then, instead of a 2nd uLFO, add either a Bi-n-tic Filter (since you like odd filters, plus it'll double as yet another VCO), or a synthasonic/MFOS phaser.

that's what id recommend w/in your original parameters. dunno why 3 racks would force you to four, actually i think 3 is a very manageable system, espeically for gigging.

if/when you do go to another rack, love the mankato... a sweet filter to balance out the salty frequenstine/PB, with quadrature LFO thrown in free... metalbox/cgs Wavefolder should also get consideration, again since you seem to lean towards the more untamed/agressive side of things.

b
John Nonjohn
I'd put in Hex Zone, if you like the idea of programming sequences. If you don't like programming, so much, then I'd put in a Miniwave and Binary Zone!
Kendall Station
fluxmonkey wrote:
once more with feeling: 2nd VCO. blacet's VCOs are made for FM in general, cross mod in particular. also, they can be forced down to glacially slow speeds via external CV.

CGS Digital Noise from metalbox. mod it with a range switch to get it down to random-sequence speeds. among other things, it's pretty great as an FM input to the VCOs. half-width module.

2nd uLFO... those same fm/crossmod tricks also do good things for CVs... OR trick out the rack ears with some attenuators and mults, get some short Y-chords, and get rid of the 2210. (there's room for a CGS real ringmod in the ears, as well). then, instead of a 2nd uLFO, add either a Bi-n-tic Filter (since you like odd filters, plus it'll double as yet another VCO), or a synthasonic/MFOS phaser.

that's what id recommend w/in your original parameters. dunno why 3 racks would force you to four, actually i think 3 is a very manageable system, espeically for gigging.

if/when you do go to another rack, love the mankato... a sweet filter to balance out the salty frequenstine/PB, with quadrature LFO thrown in free... metalbox/cgs Wavefolder should also get consideration, again since you seem to lean towards the more untamed/agressive side of things.

b

Yeah I was gonna say a 2nd VCO and LFO from blacet....Binary Zone is very cool as well.
rezzn8r
thanks for all the suggetions!!!
@fluxmonkey....looking into using the rack ears for mult/attn to free up another space, great idea.

found a stg waveforder in the buy/sell/trade. should ship soon! w00t
leaning heavily towards the 2nd VCO for the last 2 spaces, although I was seriously tempted by the Wiard NoiseRing that showed up today hmmm.....
Mood Organ
Wiard Noise Ring. Such a fascinating module.

I second using the ears as mults and attenuators.

I also second going up to 4 racks screaming goo yo
scozbor
noise ring
rezzn8r
This is fun! yes, noise ring, but am I too late ??? ... sad banana
Kwote
This is simple. Hunt down a used Borg and Boogie! I got a used Boogie and love it. One of the creamiest filters on planet earth.
rezzn8r
Kwote wrote:
This is simple. Hunt down a used Borg and Boogie! I got a used Boogie and love it. One of the creamiest filters on planet earth.

I know you speak the truth, but sometimes it's difficult to be patient. cry lol
The market for used Wiard products is fairly competitive, and I really don't want to be the guy bumping my WTB post every other day hihi
DGTom
Timbral manipulation? How about the Metalbox / CGS Tube VCA + Wave Multiplier? Drunken Homer Simpson
rezzn8r
DGTom wrote:
Timbral manipulation? How about the Metalbox / CGS Tube VCA + Wave Multiplier? Drunken Homer Simpson

With only 2 spaces left, that would put me into new rack territory for sure.
Metalbox stuff looks great though we're not worthy was there ever a single wasp?
DGTom
applause you scored the NR then? Congrats! grin

The Wasp is a two filter board & it would be crazy deep if the panel were any smaller, like most CGS in 3U, do you have a Bi-N-Tic in your 5U set-up?
rezzn8r
not the NR waah
but a STG wavefolder w00t
I have 2 bi-n-tic pcbs for a project down the road...
Kwote
rezzn8r wrote:
Kwote wrote:

I know you speak the truth, but sometimes it's difficult to be patient. cry lol
The market for used Wiard products is fairly competitive, and I really don't want to be the guy bumping my WTB post every other day hihi

That's not how I did it at all. PM me.
rezzn8r
parasitk wrote:

STG Wave Folder

goiks wrote:
stg wavefolder

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
- STG Wave Folder Suit And Tie Guy!

DGTom wrote:

Best timbral buck-bang would be VCO + Wave Folder SlayerBadger!

I have to admit that the STG Wavefolder wasn't really on my radar until all the suggestions came up in this thread. I got one in the mail a couple days ago, and I must say, this module rocks SlayerBadger!
Not only does it sound fantastic, but it's possibly the best made frac module I currently own. The posts feel like butter and the jack are a joy to plug!
Thanks for the recommendation, guys! Spot On! we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2