MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Microwave XT -- won't power on
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Microwave XT -- won't power on
natallica
Hey everyone -

I just received a Microwave XT from eBay that looks immaculate -- can't even find a single scratch on it. It was packed extremely well for its trip here. However, I can't get the thing to turn on.

When I plug in the power supply, the screen lights up but is blank. No other lights (including Standby) come on. Pressing the power button (and even holding it for several seconds) doesn't do a thing.

Dead Banana

Any ideas on what could be going on? I really don't want to have to send this thing back, but if I have to I will.

Thanks!
ignatius
is it the original PSU? if not is the PSU correct voltage?

i had a MW XT long ago that went kookoo. turned out one of the boards died.. when that happened the display spit out all kinds of hieroglyphics and greek characters. the board had to be replaced.

i'm not sure what could be wrong w/yours.. but definitely check the PSU situation.
natallica
I tried a Radio Shack power 12V power supply with 2.5A and it didn't work.

I went back to the original power supply and it still didn't work until I unplugged the audio cables from the main outs. Then it turned on. I don't get it.

very frustrating

Now it will power on even with audio cables in the main outs.

I'm starting to think it has gremlins inside!

I does sound fabulous!
ignatius
strange. maybe something shook loose in shipping?

is the display working?

the radioshack PSUs all output the wrong voltage. i had one and it measured 14volts.

the PSU i'm using now measures exactly 12volts.
natallica
Everything seems to be working now. I verified that both the Radio Shack supply I tried and the original output 12V.

Very very weird. I'm going to leave it turned off for a while and make sure it comes back on later. I'm hoping it just needed to be woken up after the trip it took via FedEx!
stk
Sounds like maybe something got shook about, and fiddling with the audio outs shook it back into place? Would be worth opening it up to make sure nothing is rattling about loose or sitting out of place.

And yes, one of the greatest synths ever made SlayerBadger!
RustyO
+1 To maybe open up and check nothing got dislodged / shake her to see if anything is loose. Of course, if she ain't broke...

stk wrote:
And yes, one of the greatest synths ever made SlayerBadger!

Yes, this, so much. I think everyone should have a mWave XT; problem is, there is not enough to go around.
stk
True, true. I sold my first one to feed the Euro monster and spent the next four years searching for another.
vasculator
It's probably just the LCD contrast http://faq.waldorfian.info/faq-browse.php?product=xt
supersuper
I love waldorf synth but only picked up my first MW this year (an xtk); i am just over the moon.

Cant believe that people are trying to sell them for 2K on ebay though. . .
natallica
vasculator wrote:
It's probably just the LCD contrast http://faq.waldorfian.info/faq-browse.php?product=xt

It's not. The contrast is all the way up. As I said above, it suddenly started working once I disconnected the audio cables and then started working with everything plugged in after a few tries.
chvad
Bought my XTK new and kept it for around 12 years. Great synth but after that amount if time we had to break up. :)
natallica
chvad wrote:
Bought my XTK new and kept it for around 12 years. Great synth but after that amount if time we had to break up. smile

Had to trade her in for a younger model? Uncool! :-)
natallica
It gets weirder and weirder.

I left the XT unplugged for over 24 hours and then when I plugged the power supply in, I got the same problem. No lights, just a blank screen and the power button does nothing.

Plugging in audio cables and unplugging them when it's in this state seems to wake it up!

I think I'm going to have to look inside. Anyone have a source for the service manual for this thing?

Thanks!
mgallon
Quote:
I think I'm going to have to look inside. Anyone have a source for the service manual for this thing?

Did this issue reoccur for you?

I had mine in storage for a few years and got it back last month. First time I turned it on I got the same issue (screen on but no charcters and no button lights).

I found this post so tried playing around with the audio cables, I've got the original power brick. It eventually turned on after playing around for several minutes. The screen showed characters and the synth became functional. Thinking is was just becasue it hadn't been used for a while and all was ok I mounted it on an A-frame keyboard stand and have been using it fine.

However, last night the screen was blank again. I havn't opened it up yet to have a look, bit nervous to do that.
rowsbywoof
Sounds like the capacitors are drying/dying. Like, once enough energy is stored it powers on. Would explain the, it works after messed with scenarios, and doesn’t when off for a while. May need to be recapped. Could be a problem with the PSU, as well. I’d try replacing that first. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1