MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PROJECT] Music Thing Spring Reverb
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next [all]
Author [PROJECT] Music Thing Spring Reverb
falafelbiels
I love it already...
Spandex
Monobass
logicgate wrote:
are you storing the tanks too, mate? I mean, they will be in the kit?

Not for the first run as they are very easily available elsewhere and I'll be focussing on Frontpanel, component and PCB inventory.

From the manual:

Tombola wrote:
4a: Which Tank?

Short version: If you’re buying a new tank, I’d recommend one of these fairly common models:

Accutronics 9EB2C1B A big 17” long reverb tank with six springs.

Accutronics 8EB2C1B A smaller 10” version with three springs. This is the tank from a Fender Blues Junior amp, so is very common.

Other makes with the same number (i.e. MOD 8EB2C1B ) will work in the same way. The Ruby 3EB2C1B also looks nice.

I bought the 9EB2C1B from hotroxuk and it sounds and works great (came 2 days after order too).

UK - http://www.hotroxuk.com/accutronics-reverb-tank-17-long-9eb2c1b.html

USA - http://www.amazon.com/Accutronics-9EB2C1B-Reverb-Tank/dp/B0043FN4A6

Germany - http://www.banzaimusic.com/Accutronics-9EB2C1B.html
monno
I am a sucker for all things spring reverb and was planning on adding the Doepfer module to my collection. It´s obviously taken a backseat to this project now and i am thoroughly looking forward to building it!
Karl_Joseph
Tombola wrote:

The Music Thing Spring Reverb is a flexible, easy-to-build voltage controlled 6HP DIY mono spring reverb module.
- Works with a variety of spring reverb tanks (including the A199 mini tank), or with the Accutronics BTDR-2 reverb ‘brick’ designed by Brian Neunaber
- Two cheap PCB panel designs - one with front panel sockets for the reverb tank
- Vactrol crossfade between dry and wet
- Tilt EQ on the reverb send to tune the voice of the reverb
- X-Fade input so the module can also be used as a standalone vactrol crossfader (crossfade demo)
- Attenuverter on the crossfade CV input

All the details are on the Music Thing Spring Reverb Project Page including:
- Big instruction & build manual that will answer all your questions (PDF)
- Schematic (PDF)
- Eagle and Gerber files, front panel specifications, a Mouser BOM etc

THONK will be offering PCBs and panels

Which tank did you use for this demo? It's the one I want! sounds amazing!!! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Tombola
Thanks Karl_Joseph, the demo video is a 9EB2C1B sitting on top of my low cost case - there's a little bit of audible hum in the demo that is reduced when the tank is mounted a bit further from the transformer.
paul_exp
Are there demos of the delay chip brick? And @thonk - will you be selling those?

Either way, very excited about this... SlayerBadger!
bartleby
paul_exp wrote:
Are there demos of the delay chip brick?

yeah, i was wondering about that, too.
Monobass
I actually just ordered one of the bricks to test.

I won't be stocking these initially either, again like the springs they are really easy to pick up from big web stores and ebay. I'd rather focus my time and money on the module for now. This could change with later runs.
Tombola
Here's a demo of the spring compared with the brick:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/musicthing/real-spring-reverb-vs-belton[/s]
clusterchord
i see one can order the reverb TYPE 9 with specified input and output impedance on accutronics site..

DIGIT #2 - INPUT IMPEDANCE
A = 10 Ohm
B = 190 Ohm
C = 240 Ohm
D = 310 Ohm
E = 800 Ohm
F = 1925 Ohm

DIGIT #3 - OUTPUT IMPEDANCE
A = 600 Ohm
B = 2575 Ohm
C = 12000 Ohm

could someone tell me what impedances should i select if i want to:

a) integrate into euro modular, and use with the Music Thing module ?

b) make a standalone studio device with neutrik XLRs and some electronic balancing de-balancing (5534 for example) ?

they also offer different specified decay times... i gather they are made different, not changeable by the user..

-----------------------------------------------------

by the way, has anyone of you spring reverb aficionados experimented with splitting the signal into freq ranges via crossover, feeding two or three spring reverbs... like the old Fairchild did (alledgedly) ?

seems it allows the high freq response to sound more naturally without being so disturbed with rumbling of the spring for lower freq - sorta what multiband compressor does for compression.,..

thanks

rgrds
tom
paul_exp
Thanks for the brick demo tom. It's very cool, and now I'm torn as to which to get... Both sound cool in their own way...
Tombola
paul_exp wrote:
Thanks for the brick demo tom. It's very cool, and now I'm torn as to which to get... Both sound cool in their own way...

You can make it switchable - build both parts of the circuit and attach a SPDT on/none/on switch to the jumper. If you did a rear-mounted spring, you could probably fit the switch in one of the holes on the 6-socket panel, use the other for a 100% wet or dry EQ output

Theres a little bit of space there:

ps: I've moved the logos and labels around a little for the published panels, and if you ask Seeed studio they'll put the serial number on the Bottom Silkscreen, not Top Silkscreen
Tombola
clusterchord wrote:
i see one can order the reverb TYPE 9 with specified input and output impedance on accutronics site..

DIGIT #2 - INPUT IMPEDANCE
A = 10 Ohm
B = 190 Ohm
C = 240 Ohm
D = 310 Ohm
E = 800 Ohm
F = 1925 Ohm

DIGIT #3 - OUTPUT IMPEDANCE
A = 600 Ohm
B = 2575 Ohm
C = 12000 Ohm

could someone tell me what impedances should i select if i want to:

a) integrate into euro modular, and use with the Music Thing module ?

A 9EB2C1B is 800 Ohm input (E) and 2575 Ohm output (B)

clusterchord wrote:

b) make a standalone studio device with neutrik XLRs and some electronic balancing de-balancing (5534 for example) ?

I don't know how you'd do that. You might look at the Zerotronics passive system: http://zerotronics.com/coolsprings/index.html - transformers at the start and end of the system to integrate with line-in / mic-out. SPENDY!

clusterchord wrote:

by the way, has anyone of you spring reverb aficionados experimented with splitting the signal into freq ranges via crossover, feeding two or three spring reverbs... like the old Fairchild did (alledgedly) ?

seems it allows the high freq response to sound more naturally without being so disturbed with rumbling of the spring for lower freq - sorta what multiband compressor does for compression.,..

The 'tilt' control on this module is cruder solution to the same problem - it's flat at 12 o'clock, at 5 o'clock it fairly smoothly boosts frequencies above 1khz and cuts below. At 7 o'clock it does the opposite, cutting above 1khz, boosting below.

The EQ only acts on the reverb send - has no effect on the dry output.
Nantonos
clusterchord wrote:

If you wanted to run balanced lines to and from the modular to a reverb, it would be better to have the reverb drive circuit after debalancing; and it would be better to have (at least some of) the recovery circuit close to the reverb too, to boost the very small signal and avoid hum pickup, before converting to balanced.

In which case, the input and output impedences would be isolated from the balancing/debalancing circuitry anyway.

Rather than hack something up with opamps, there are dedicated chips for the task, such as THAT 1646 line driver (datasheet) and THAT 1200 series line receivers (datasheet). These will give you a high common mode rejection, low noise and low distortion.
rosch
thanks for that cool project. just ordered my tank from banzai screaming goo yo
bartleby
Tombola wrote:
You can make it switchable - build both parts of the circuit and attach a SPDT on/none/on switch to the jumper.

very cool! thumbs up

i love the sound of my two a199 with chinese accutronics 8bb3c1b clones - but the cv crossfade makes this much cooler! looking forward to building two of them.
harolddonnelly
Thanks for this project, just one quick question, I apologize if it has been covered already.

Is the CV control input, for the control of Wet and Dry or the Reverb Amount?
Monobass
CV is for the the wet dry
harolddonnelly
Great thanks!
Stab Frenzy
Very keen to get two of these as soon as the kit is available. Or would doing a stereo version with dual gang pots be simple?
parasitk
Can this be tweaked to run in 15v systems?
jgb
Must have. Too many spare reverb tanks at home (4-5 I think). smile
BBlack
Hey, cool!

I'm in the market currently for a spring verb module, this might fit the bill... Been looking at CGS's kit, and of course the Neural Agonizer, but this is cool too. And I have a spare Accutronics tank laying around..

Hoping for 15V capability... going to search.
4130photo
Wanted to buy a A199, but i think i will wait till the kits for this are available, this sounds ace... just need to up my soldering skills a bit before confused help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next [all]
Page 2 of 47