MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Buchla SOU style WIARD 300 for school Sonic Study project
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Buchla SOU style WIARD 300 for school Sonic Study project
thesnow
We discussed and listened to some composers like John Cage and Steve Reich today in my Music Synthesis class. We have a "sonic study" 2-3 minute project due in November, and I thought it would be fun to record some classic style Buchla Source of Uncertainty patch(es) for it. The patches that have a mind of their own and go wild and stop and start out of nowhere! I've tapped into some Buchla style patches before with the Woggle Bug Stepped CV and the Borg Filters, this was when I only had a Woggle Bug and the Borg Filters, but I've since acquired a used Waveform City, so now I have 3 Wiard modules to work with.

I'd appreciate any input and patch ideas and examples from you if you have time! Will be a cool project and I would like to learn some more "SOU" style techniques on the Wiard system, especially that I have the Woggle Bug and Borg Filters. I plan on running the patches through echo and recording the various different examples and putting them up to listen to!

Wiard
chamomileshark
I did something similar a while back. I'll need to think about it because I remember there was a key non Wiard module - I just need to think about how it might be done without it.
thesnow
chamomileshark wrote:
I did something similar a while back. I'll need to think about it because I remember there was a key non Wiard module - I just need to think about how it might be done without it.

Thanks! I'd appreciate it. I have no problem applying random voltage to patches but I know you can tap into that classic Buchla hollow sounding type patches!
chamomileshark
Not sure it's Buchla type noises. It was my first attempt and I was looking to create something vaguely like one of the sections of Stockhausen's Kontackte

[s]http://soundcloud.com/chamomile-shark/permutations[/s]

The notes I made were these

Timing - Semi random triggers S&H (9 o’clock speed) to In of Window Comparitor (level 10 o’clock, Width 11 O’clock). Level modulated by stepped voltage from Wogglebug

Pitch - Gate also to Sequantiser (select modulated for random order) – unquantised goes to FC1. {Poss two Sequantisers to mixer or Jag, both modulated Sel]

Lin FM – modulator oscillator frequency modulated by Wogglebug smooth or stepped voltage

to Borg 1 LPG (mod at max, switch to VCA, freq at zero).

Envelator – both A mod and R mod to max – taking one unquantised sequantiser output each.

Position in space

Standard output into 2nd mixolator – outputs X and Y to mixer. Z at 12 o’clock? Jag output to slew (or it clicks) and then to Z mod

what you will ned to do is find a replacement for the Window Comparitor. I started to think about of doing that but I don't want to dismantle what I'm working on now.

One approach would be to use a wogglebug or maybe the random voltage from a Classic VCO to go to open and close a VCA. Or use an envelator set up up to give you a chaotic function and take the gates from that (bit hazy on whether that would actually work but it might).

Another thought - send random or wogglebug to FC1 of a Classic VCO and then use the square/ pulse as your clock/ gate trigger. I think that will work. Also try modulating the pulse width.
plord
I am not patching this up at the moment, but just thinking out loud...

Mult both of the LFOs from the Borg. Use one output of one ("left") LFO mult to adjust the speed of the other LFO. Take the other mult ("right") and send it to Crossfader control input on an Envelator. Pull one mult from left and right as above and send to the inputs on the crossfader.

Take the crossfader output and use THAT to adjust the LFO rate on the Wogglebug.

Take the LFO and STEP CV output of the Wogglebug, use those as the trigger to fire the Borgs in LPG mode. Take any two outputs of the Bug as inputs to the Borgs. The Woggle CV out with the knob full CCW for bass notes, Smooth tone out for the other one maybe.

Adjust to taste. Delays and Reverb considered helpful.

If you don't want to use the crossfader or you don't have an envelator, then...Put the WFC is super low freq mode, use the output to alter the WBug rate, use the Borg LFO to adjust the VCA on the WFC for more variety. Might be more chaotic than my LFO feedback loop above, actually.
thesnow
chamomileshark wrote:
Not sure it's Buchla type noises. It was my first attempt and I was looking to create something vaguely like one of the sections of Stockhausen's Kontackte

[s]http://soundcloud.com/chamomile-shark/permutations[/s]

Wonderful patch! Thank you for that!

plord wrote:
I am not patching this up at the moment, but just thinking out loud...

Mult both of the LFOs from the Borg. Use one output of one ("left") LFO mult to adjust the speed of the other LFO. Take the other mult ("right") and send it to Crossfader control input on an Envelator. Pull one mult from left and right as above and send to the inputs on the crossfader.

Take the crossfader output and use THAT to adjust the LFO rate on the Wogglebug.

Take the LFO and STEP CV output of the Wogglebug, use those as the trigger to fire the Borgs in LPG mode. Take any two outputs of the Bug as inputs to the Borgs. The Woggle CV out with the knob full CCW for bass notes, Smooth tone out for the other one maybe.

Adjust to taste. Delays and Reverb considered helpful.

If you don't want to use the crossfader or you don't have an envelator, then...Put the WFC is super low freq mode, use the output to alter the WBug rate, use the Borg LFO to adjust the VCA on the WFC for more variety. Might be more chaotic than my LFO feedback loop above, actually.

Thank you, Plord!

Yeah I don't have a dual envelator yet but I'll try the patch with the waveform city method instead!

I'll have time tomorrow night to really go over these! Thank you again!
drumsofd00m
(Edited) -- I can't listen to the audio/ video here atm but I'd strongly suggest adding a Mixolator for CV attenuation and inverting (even though the Woggle Bug already has range controls) and a Sequantizer or similar analog sequencer for even (EDIT: event) programming. With just one VCA for gating CVs (in the WFC, or three if you don't use the Borgs as audio processors - I think they're actually able to process DC voltages, but haven't tried that yet?) - with just one VCA the capability for stop-and-go type events (if I got you right there) is pretty limited; one way however would be to modulate the clock of one side of the WB with a CV output from the other (again, CV attenuation might be a huge improvement. I also find the joysticks from the 311 Controller very useful for adding offset to CVs). Another, less fluid and more rhythmical way would be to use the "pulse multiplication" Bank in the WFC as a clock, while sweeping through the Bank for varying subdivisions.
thesnow
drumsofd00m wrote:
(Edited) -- I can't listen to the audio/ video here atm but I'd strongly suggest adding a Mixolator for CV attenuation and inverting (even though the Woggle Bug already has range controls) and a Sequantizer or similar analog sequencer for even (EDIT: event) programming. With just one VCA for gating CVs (in the WFC, or three if you don't use the Borgs as audio processors - I think they're actually able to process DC voltages, but haven't tried that yet?) - with just one VCA the capability for stop-and-go type events (if I got you right there) is pretty limited; one way however would be to modulate the clock of one side of the WB with a CV output from the other (again, CV attenuation might be a huge improvement. I also find the joysticks from the 311 Controller very useful for adding offset to CVs). Another, less fluid and more rhythmical way would be to use the "pulse multiplication" Bank in the WFC as a clock, while sweeping through the Bank for varying subdivisions.

Thanks! Hoping to have a 4th module by the end of the year. But for now I only have a delicious trio of Wiard.
Navs
The classic SOU patch is the tail-chaser from the Allen Strange book and quoted on the Doepfer page for their A-149-1. I use variations of this in most patches.

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.de/2010/03/patch-tip-6-wogglebug-smooth -out.html

On the Makenoise Wogglebug, patch the smooth out to the clock CV input. When I first got the WB I couldn't understand why that output had less juice. Turns out it's perfect for driving the WB's speed and hence interpolation/ slew.

The stepped output drives the VCO's pitch but also the rise and fall time, or 'both' of the envelope. If your envelope is a looping AD type and has an End Out, you can make that the clock by pacing the WB with it. This is where the patch really comes to life for me. Now you have each note of differing length finishing before it triggers a new random CV which sets a new parameter for the system.

Depending on attenuation and some manual control - it's always fun to nudge a noodle - you can get that stop-start-spurt-elastic relationship between timing, note length and pitch. There are a few further embellishments, but if I told you ... razz
drumsofd00m
@Navs: there is no looping envelope in a 300 series Borg/ WFC/ WB setup, only a (usually exponential) slew limiter with independent rise and fall (AR) pots.

As for patching Smooth CV into Clock, that's indeed better than modulating Rate, good point, although with my WB it *seems* to work better when using one side to modulate the other instead of self-modulation. It takes some patience to get the right combination of settings, though, or you'll just get very slow, non-clustered/ not really stop-and-go type results (for a start, I set Clustering low for wide spreads - tweaking it up and down will increase the time between "bursts" - and set the modulating side to a fast Rate).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1