MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Android Music Apps
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Android Music Apps
Waz
Does anyone use their android device in their setup? What apps are you using?

I'm thinking of setting up my device as a Software-Defined Radio scanner, so I have a portable, visual scanning device for the entire range of radio frequencies.

Example; (Not mine)
radiokoala
Yeah, I do. 8_)

TouchOSC is an absolute blast, wireless control of a DAW/plugins or whatever via OSC/MIDI. Some great possibilities with this app - for example there is a template for Aalto, or when I tried making a custom template for controlling my x-station synthesizer, it worked flawlessly. x-station has a shared level knob for 3 OSCs, but here I put virtual faders for controlling them and can multi-touch adjust them while having visual feedback of their level! And if you make your device transmit MIDI to TouchOSC back, you will see faders/knobs moving on a screen, as you adjust them on an actual device. this app is just seamless. A+++

Next we go to some other faves of mine, such as:

Heat Synthesizer is the best synth hands down (pretty good not only among Android apps, but I'd rate it next to or better than $300 VAs),
Reactable is freaking sick for $9.99, fun, and sound is absolutely enormous,
G-Stomper is like a virtual electribe, 24-track sampler with piano roll & step sequencer, 3 effect slots where each track can be routed to one of them...there are about 40 effects, I was kinda blown away by this app overall.
Rolling Tones is like a Yamaha Tenori-On, but there are also drums. it supports patterns, so it's really easy to arrange tracks or jam with it. definitely anyone should have it, as it's free.
RD4 & SPC are great groovebox and clip launching app.
Caustic is regarded as best music app ubiquitously, but I don't give a shit about it though. synth engines remind me of uninspiring lame-sounding VSTs.

VirtualANS & MorphWiz - I'm sure these are great apps, next in list for me. there is also SunVox (modular synth) and PixiTracker for chiptune production from ANS developer, which I too didn't check yet (PixiTracker demo for some reason doesn't start on my tablet - might try it with a newer version later).
FL Studio Mobile is decent-sounding, you could make some great stems for export and further use, but it's not very deep so maybe overpriced for what it is. G-Stomper and Reactable are much better production tools.
USB Audio Recorder PRO allows recording to a tablet via audio interface connected. Which would be great, but not all devices are supported (e.g. my soundcard is, but tablet isn't), so check it out first. If you're lucky, maybe it will make a nice pair with Audio Evolution Mobile from the same developer - which is a DAW. Can't say anything about it, don't use it though.

Apps supporting USB-MIDI (you need a USB OTG cable) include Heat Synthesizer & Caustic.

PS: Desperately Looking for MIDI sequencers!!! Please help.

PPS: You asked for examples of using a tablet in one's setup - take a look at mine here. thumbs up
FSK1138
You got to try DroidBeat Synth

and
common analog synth -common fm synth

and
sheretones --soundbow -springs

synprezFm

ALL FREE AND USEFULL

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/30009
dualphin
Waz wrote:
Does anyone use their android device in their setup? What apps are you using?

I'm thinking of setting up my device as a Software-Defined Radio scanner, so I have a portable, visual scanning device for the entire range of radio frequencies.

Example; (Not mine)

THis is very cool...
Veqtor
something freaking amazing is coming for android... something that is already available on ipad/iphone... can't tell more...

Ninja
craigie77
Veqtor wrote:
something freaking amazing is coming for android... something that is already available on ipad/iphone... can't tell more...

Ninja

Got a timescale reguarding this plz
jhindsight
cheers for these - plenty to check out
Veqtor
craigie77 wrote:
Veqtor wrote:

Ninja

Got a timescale reguarding this plz

What I was referring to has been out for a while now:
Yellofier for Android
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102323
craigie77
FLUX, great soudbed to patch over
KOSM nice to get a kinda beat,( not a drummy tho)
SPRINGS just a bit of fun
RADIO SCANNER , I9use this to listen to chicago police band, then play it through my mod for a bit of a dark background

All free, sorry if they already been posted
Ashi
So android L is coming and as far as I understand it also offers a lot of new audio functionality:

"Lower latency audio input ensuring that music and communication applications that have strict delay requirements provide an amazing realtime experience"

"Multi-channel audio stream mixing means professional audio applications can now mix up to eight channels including 5.1 and 7.1 channels"

"USB Audio support means you can plug USB microphones, speakers, and a myriad of other USB audio devices like amplifiers and mixers into your Android device"

And lemur is now on android as well for 25$. Looks pretty good tbh as I would like to use my nexus 4 (or even get a tablet) and use it as MIDI controller for my Octatrack controlling mixing. CDM mentions that cables are supported as well so no wifi required to transmit MIDI - does anyone know what is needed to get a regular 5pin MIDI out from an android phone/tablet?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/11/lemur-now-android-supports-cable d-connections-want-touch-app/
roboticstormcloud
radiokoala wrote:
Yeah, I do. 8_)

Caustic is regarded as best music app ubiquitously, but I don't give a shit about it though. synth engines remind me of uninspiring lame-sounding VSTs.

sad banana

Caustic is my favorite for noise and experimentation. I particularly like to use it in short increments while taking a break from work, driving, stuck in traffic behind a train, etc... because I find it so easy to use that I can zip in and out, having made a few new sounds.

For someone with a more discerning ear for synth sounds, and a goal to make more structured electronic music, perhaps it is lacking after all. I have no way of knowing! ;-) You have me interested in G Stomper now too.

Other apps I've tried (mind you, my stuff is not dancey in the least, ymmv):

Jasuto: modular, seems powerful and well documented, I've heard some very impressive stuff. On par with SunVox.
VirtualANS: I have experimented with it a bit, and investigated printing out patterns for replicating music. Need to give it more time, if I ever have any.
Mixtikl: Ambient sound creator, looks very deep. Again, where to find the time?

If you're curious about what a weirdo like me does with a tracker like Caustic, you can hear stuff on "Anhex" and, as of 12/1, my Christmas album, "Christmas's Coming." www.thingmo.com. I'd even be happy to share the Caustic file with you if you want to play with it, though some of the samples may not be available.
Fp
did anyone know this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mpd&hl=it

max program on android
widdly
It's pd. It's good as a prototype but it is a bit tricky to patch with and the loading of patches is weird. It doesn't come with all the example patches which are pretty essential. Hopefully they keep working on it.
widdly
This looks promising as a midi sequencer for Android....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.monoplugs.trial
zedius
I just switched to Android from an iPhone, and I'm wondering if there are any android sequencer apps that can be used to sequence android synthesizers on the same phone?

Example: I downloaded SynprezFM DX7 emulator and I want to use a separate sequencer software, preferably one that can play back midi file data, to play the DX7 SynprezFM.

This sort of thing is available on iOS (example Phaedra sequencing Animoog) but I haven't found this sort of app-to-app cooperation on Android so far. Does it exist?
Rotwang
ARSTechnica article about Android M - adding USB Type-C connector for charging, communication & MIDI support

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/05/android-m-embraces-usb-type-c-m idi-devices/
fluxxion
I work as an android developer, and I've been trying to think of a cool app to do. I was playing around with PureData, and using USB OTG cables to play the pure data patches with a usb midi device. Got a pretty basic app with that. I also started looking into making a Monome android app, but haven't gotten around to doing that. I'm pretty familiar with most sound libraries. I start a new job on Monday, so my free time will be going down, but if there's a certain type of app that people want to see, I could try and get something done. So far it sounds like a sequencer app is a popular request...
xtinct
Want a free LFO module for your modular system via Android?

Check out LFO Generator, very simple waveform selector and frequency slider that has a lot of good expand-ability potential for any developer.

Id personally like to see a x/y touch gui on it to dial in the frequency and amplitude.
zedius
Rotwang wrote:
ARSTechnica article about Android M - adding USB Type-C connector for charging, communication & MIDI support

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/05/android-m-embraces-usb-type-c-m idi-devices/

Exciting to see this!

Can anyone comment on the ability to sequence an android app (synth) with another android app (sequencer) on the same phone? Is this capability there for any current android software?
chamomileshark
doing a bump for this post to see if there is anything new of interest. I'm particularly looking for sequencers. I tried Lemur but couldn't get even the basic communication set up with my PC - maybe something to do with the way the midi was set up (I had it set up for me).

Just got Yellofier which is so much fun. Also node beats which looks useful.

I also have Tape Machine which is useful when I travel into the city for work - it's alot less obvious than my zoom recorder. And I have a tuner on it which is useful for the modular.
mariareese
App is fair enough but make it more light as possible .. grin
kf6gpe
Noise is in beta on the store for Pixel and Pixel XL, too. It'll work with and without the Roli Blocks. I'd been playing with the lightpad thingy on iOS, and it works just as well on Android. I'm not a huge Blocks fan --- the touch isn't quite as responsive as I'd like, and haven't wrapped my head around the UI --- but it's fun. I probably need to put everything away for a weekend and just play with it to figure it out and decide if it's really something I want to do more with instead of just fiddle around with it the way I do now.
Soy Sos
Clocking in to follow thru on some of these recommendations.
I switched to android over a year ago, but haven't snagged any
cool music making apps for my phone.
gasboss775
I like the modular synth in Caustic 3.2. although a wider range of modules would be good, does anyone know if there are 3rd party additional modules available? The 8 bit synth ( also in Caustic ) is an interesting and quirky thing, still not really got the hang of it yet.
luonguet
Noise is in beta on the store for Pixel and Pixel XL, too. It'll work with and without the Roli Blocks. I'd been playing with the lightpad thingy on iOS, and it works just as well on Android. I'm not a huge Blocks fan --- the touch isn't quite as responsive as I'd like, and haven't wrapped my head around the UI --- but it's fun. I probably need to put everything away for a weekend and just play with it to figure it out and decide if it's really something I want to do more with instead of just fiddle around with it the way I do now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2