MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jasuto MIDI/ Modular sequencing via iPad
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Jasuto MIDI/ Modular sequencing via iPad
horstronic
Hey guys,

I had the idea to use the Jasuto App for iPad to control my modular via MIDI/CV (Sequencer, LFO etc.). Does anybody know if that works? I don't have a MIDI Interface so I can't try it by myself but I am thinking about getting one for that.

Also I'd like to know if you guys have experiences with other iPad Apps like genome or stepPolyArp for use with a modular?

Does it even make sense to have just the 128 steps of MIDI or can you hear that when using LFOs and stuff?

Greetings
Malte
_seph
I don't have a hardware modular (yet...), but if you're interested in using your iPad in conjunction with your modular, you may like this~ the RC1radiostar by Soundmachines ..it takes up a lot of hp but looks to have much potential

otherwise anything that outputs MIDI would work just fine along with a MIDI/CV converter. i've seen many examples of people using various apps alongside their modulars.

I don't have the apps that you've mentioned, but I have used Phaedra quite a bit and its a nice classic step sequencer and somewhat related to your inquiry, I have used it to sequence my old Moog Taurus II by using the MIDI out of my iO Dock to a Philip Rees Little MCV

ultimately it will probably be the Silent Way plugin that finally does me in.. I've seen several videos of people using it along with the Lemur app (which is worth every penny) and that level of hardware/software integration is very tempting, especially now that it also works within Reason
trabouliste
it is very simple with iRig Midi, Jasuto MIDI connection isn't very stable, therefore I recommend the app "MidiBridge" in between.
GovernorSilver
Zombie'd but.. now that it's been resurrected, check out zMors Modular. That's the one iPad modular app that was designed to interact with physical ones.
trabouliste
zMors modular is iPad only, Jasuto is universal and very flexible!
GovernorSilver
trabouliste wrote:
zMors modular is iPad only, Jasuto is universal and very flexible!

Can Jasuto send control voltage to hardware modular? zMors Modular can.

Also, can Jasuto load Pure Data patches? zMors Modular can.

When was the last time Jasuto was updated? zMors was updated just a few weeks ago.

Every app has pros and cons.
trabouliste
Unfortuntely the updates are very rare and the developer never reacts to emails. This is a big minus of Jasuto. The PD integration is an argument too, but not for me in the moment, because I cannot handle PD. For CV messages out of Jasuto I can use the MidiCC node and convert it via my Midi interface to cv. There are some more interseting features in zMors, maybe I will give it a try, but Jasuto I guess Jasuto is still the best for experimental electronics.
GovernorSilver
trabouliste wrote:
Unfortuntely the updates are very rare and the developer never reacts to emails. This is a big minus of Jasuto. The PD integration is an argument too, but not for me in the moment, because I cannot handle PD. For CV messages out of Jasuto I can use the MidiCC node and convert it via my Midi interface to cv. There are some more interseting features in zMors, maybe I will give it a try, but Jasuto I guess Jasuto is still the best for experimental electronics.

Jasuto probably needs to be updated for IOS 9.

It also needs to be updated to work with Audiobus. A lot of apps, including zMors, had to be updated to work with the latest Audiobus. The Audulus dev opted to remake the app instead as Audulus 3.

For these reasons, modular app users have abandoned Jasuto for zMors, Audulus 3, AnalogKit, etc.
trabouliste
It is incredible: Jasuto works better with iOS9 than with iOS 7 or 8 - nearly without any crashes and I had never a crash while saving - as before! The same with the latest Audiobus - all problems are gone since iOS9, but as you can guess there is no state saving in Audiobus for Jasuto.
I gave Adulus3 a try and it is a big mess. For every step you need minimum 3 steps more than necessary and the module connection is very tricky. I better would have invested in zMors instead, but hey: Jasuto is still great.
GovernorSilver
trabouliste wrote:
It is incredible: Jasuto works better with iOS9 than with iOS 7 or 8 - nearly without any crashes and I had never a crash while saving - as before! The same with the latest Audiobus - all problems are gone since iOS9, but as you can guess there is no state saving in Audiobus for Jasuto.

Wow! That is truly amazing for an app that hasn't been updated for a while, though to be fair, Sep. 2015 isn't as long ago as I'd thought. wink
trabouliste
GovernorSilver wrote:
Wow! That is truly amazing for an app that hasn't been updated for a while, though to be fair, Sep. 2015 isn't as long ago as I'd thought. wink

The last Jasuto update was in Dec. 2014, not in Sep. 2015.
GovernorSilver
trabouliste wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

The last Jasuto update was in Dec. 2014, not in Sep. 2015.

Ok, that IS a long, long time ago.

You're right, Sep. 2015 was the date of last price change.
rec.Koner
After all these years i still love jasuto as it has perfect workflow/interface for me. Audulus is great but not my cup of tea etc.

Quote:
The last Jasuto update was in Dec. 2014

btw that update added one new scene that's interesting. it's about smth binaurial.
trabouliste
Quote:
btw that update added one new scene that's interesting. it's about smth binaurial.

which scene do you mean? There is one new node for binaural, the PanNode for panning, but no scene. And therefore I needed some time to figure out, how it works. Or do you mean the convolution node, it is interesting too but unfortunately a little bit buggy.
rec.Koner
Where do you find those nodes you mention?

No, i mean "dreamers" scene which wasn't in 1.6.0. but appears in last update in [Updated v1.7] folder (which has same tracks as [Advanced] folder + this one) with following description: "Binaural beat-based, sleepytime composition". Pretty beautiful, btw.
trabouliste
Quote:
Where do you find those nodes you mention?

"Pan" under "Device". It does not work with "speaker". You have to use it instead of the speaker and amount is for left/right panning. "Conv" under "Spectral", the sample-input is for the captured/sampled room reverberation.
The scene "dreamers" is well crated but too much chorus/reverberation for my liking.
rec.Koner
i see, thanks.

yeah, "dreamers" sound like shoegaze hmmm.....
syrupcore
I wonder what Chris Wolfe (Jasuto dev) is actually up to. I know he also built Filtatron and at least parts of the original Animoog. Hope we haven't lost him to better paying development jobs!
GovernorSilver
syrupcore wrote:
I wonder what Chris Wolfe (Jasuto dev) is actually up to. I know he also built Filtatron and at least parts of the original Animoog. Hope we haven't lost him to better paying development jobs!

Me too!

I respect trabouliste's devotion to Jasuto but I'm reluctant to invest more time on what looks like an abandoned app.
trabouliste
GovernorSilver wrote:
syrupcore wrote:

Me too!

I respect trabouliste's devotion to Jasuto but I'm reluctant to invest more time on what looks like an abandoned app.

I understand your doubts very well, but Jasuto seemed to be abandoned before and got finally an update. At that time I began to collect hardware and I own now a Buchla Easel and some more 200e modules, really good system - very bad service and documentation from BEMI and unfortunately not suitable for mobile music. I hope for a real substitute app before Jasuto will come to pieces, but if not I have to create soundsamples with my Buchla and to process them with other great apps like Borderlands, Samplr or iDensity. And there are so much more really good apps for mobile music with iPhone and iPad, only the modulars are limited, but the iVCS3 is a good modular too.
rec.Koner
I use Jasuto since 2009 and can't say i learned even 30% of it's possibilities, and as i'm not updating ios too frequently (i own ipod touch 2g and ipad 3), i'm not in a hurry.

Though thats me

p.s.
And yeah thats what i hate about smartphones/tablets - that everything changes every year.

While you can study your Buchla or Kyma for 3,5,10, 20 years...
GovernorSilver
trabouliste wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
syrupcore wrote:

Me too!

I understand your doubts very well, but Jasuto seemed to be abandoned before and got finally an update. At that time I began to collect hardware and I own now a Buchla Easel and some more 200e modules, really good system - very bad service and documentation from BEMI and unfortunately not suitable for mobile music. I hope for a real substitute app before Jasuto will come to pieces, but if not I have to create soundsamples with my Buchla and to process them with other great apps like Borderlands, Samplr or iDensity. And there are so much more really good apps for mobile music with iPhone and iPad, only the modulars are limited, but the iVCS3 is a good modular too.

iVCS3 is great indeed. I have yet to try the 1.6 update though.

I just got Modal Pro and will have a play with that. Said to be more limited than Jasuto but might be better suited for learning. I have zMors Modular, AnalogKit and iVCS3 waiting for me after i've outgrown Modal Pro.
digidandy
One of the biggest YES points of Jasuto is that it supports sample playback. I can't think of another modular-ish iOS app that does this (for some reason).

I love me some sample manipulation. I'm long since bored of plain oscillators.
rec.Koner
Sure, especially when you go "granular" in it.
trabouliste
digidandy wrote:
One of the biggest YES points of Jasuto is that it supports sample playback. I can't think of another modular-ish iOS app that does this (for some reason).

I love me some sample manipulation. I'm long since bored of plain oscillators.

There are so many things you can do with Jasuto, you cannot do with other iOS modulars, for example:
1. Tuning the sequencer to audio rates and using the sequencer as oscillator in three ways: pulse, pitch and modulation and if you like you can crossfade between. Pitch and modulation are only allowing "low-bit staircase waves", but all these waves are playable via tempo-node.
2. Retriggering the envelopes and using them with low rates as LFOs or with higher rates as oscillator.
3.Drawing a sample in the sample node.
4. Using the sample node as a control signal source.
5. Feedback oscillation is possible with so many nodes and pitch playable with the LPF via cutoff frequency (+high Q) and the delay (via time/ doppler effect)
6. There are the fold and shaper nodes (as well as analog and dirty) as wave multipliers for adding timbre and this is a big part of Buchla- or Serge-like additive synthesis and you can modulate the parameters of these wave multipliers with sub audio and audio rates.
7. Phase modulation
8. The distance between the nodes defines the influence and you can record the motion between the nodes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2