MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

No more blacet vco kits?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author No more blacet vco kits?
Low-Gain
waah waah waah

Noticed today that I can't order Blacet VCO kits off the website.
Did I miss that boat for ever and now have to order pre-assembled frack modules for $100 more?
e-grad
Would be a pity.
fracmonkey
I heard that they are doing a redesign to use board mounted jacks to simplify assembly like on the newer modules.

Might be a few months before kits are on sale again.
Low-Gain
I knew it got to the point where he was sending out assembled pcb's to "spoon feed" the DIY'rs that kept screwing up the builds, but I guess that would make it almost impossible to screw up. Then again, where's the DIY in that? lol lol

Eitherway, I hope they come back soon. Going to have to order like 6 of them sometime in the near future. My system can't live w/o them.
Best sounding VCO ever! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
e-grad
Low-Gain wrote:

Best sounding VCO ever!

My fav VCO, too!
tIB
Its a great vco! I loathe selling my blacet stuff since its so good and fetches so little.
Low-Gain
Just heard back from him.

He is in fact redesigning to make assembly easier for DIY'rs.
3months to wait though.
Guess i'll get cracking on other projects.
fluxmonkey
outstanding VCO, one of my alltime favorites. i was gonna say something like "i hope he doesnt change the circuitry/sound"... hard to imagine him making it even more awesome, but mostly john comes thru with improvements that actually are improvements....
dualphin
Compared to a lot of other module manufacturers, he doesn't do a lot of hype. I like that. The overall effect of his marketing (if you could call it that) is pretty low-budget and homey. Which belies the actual quality of the modules.
dualphin
That said, I've heard some real love about these VCOs. Never heard one myself... I've heard them described as one of the most vintage of the new VCOs. Is this true?

And what do people think about the waveshaping?
dualphin
tIB wrote:
Its a great vco! I loathe selling my blacet stuff since its so good and fetches so little.

Wonder why it fetches so little. Perhaps Blacet's reputation is as a DIY kit outfit, on step up from PAIA, instead of a quality manufacturer, a la Dotcom?
e-grad
dualphin wrote:
Perhaps Blacet's reputation is as a DIY kit outfit, on step up from PAIA, instead of a quality manufacturer, a la Dotcom?

I never read a sinlge line that questions the quality of Blacet's circuits. Rather the opposite. I'm under the impression that Frac in general is simply overlooked. Sad!
Norman_Phay
dualphin wrote:
That said, I've heard some real love about these VCOs. Never heard one myself... I've heard them described as one of the most vintage of the new VCOs. Is this true?

And what do people think about the waveshaping?

IDK about "vintage", I find that a bit hard to quantify. If you were to ask me which is the most "vintage" sounding of the VCOs I've owned or won I would pick the Modcan 01a, but fuck if I know why??!1 I have a couple of Blacet VCOs myself, as well as Wiard "classic VCO", MOTM300, Oakley VCOs, and had ModCan01a VCOs, the Blacets are easily the equal of any of these. I have the 2 MOTM digital oscs in my frac rig and have thought about dishing the cloud gen (not keen on the sonics of this, the moorphing one I do like though) for another Blacet VCO. The extra wave is a kind of sweep from triangle to somewhat squarish, but w/o the "hollow" sound of a square wave. The best use I've found for it is as an accent - feed velocity into it when playing from keyboard, feed an EG into it which is triggered from certain notes only in a sequencer part, or tweak the level of the EG as a dynamic performance control, the latter especially works really well.
alesauskas
I see the kits still listed on the Online Order Page, fyi.
e-grad
Redesigned VCO kits are in stock now. No more discrete wiring. 175USD per kit.
BananaPlug
For whatever reason this oscillator just sounds great. Good choice for raw simple patches. The variable wave is simply sine to blunted almost square sine. I find it more generally useful than wave folders. The fine tune adjustment is very fine, just right for tuning an FM patch. Easily bananafied if that's your thing.
e-grad
It's a great VCO!

Here's Grant Richter on this VCO (quoted from Analogue Heaven):

Quote:
Terry Michael (formerly Terry Mikulic) when he was a teenager, contributed a significant number of the core circuits published in Electronotes magazine (something like 50%, including the first state variable VCF using OTAs EN#33 Pg. 5, and EN#34 Pg. 16,17).

In particular, Terry perfected and published the "classic sawtooth engine". While sawtooth reset designs had been published by Michael Suchoff (EN#49 Pg. 11) and Paul Titchener (EN#57 Pg. 8), Terry's design (EN#62 Pg. 14 Feb. 1976) is the most widely copied.

This design was picked up from Electronotes magazine by the engineers at Moog Music Inc. and others. The design forms the basis for the VCOs used in the Micromoog, Source, Prodigy and the other small Moog synths.

No money or acknowledgment was ever paid Terry for the design. It was not legally required, since by publishing the design (at 22) he placed it in the public domain.

Terry continued to improve the design over the next 25 years, and I connected John Blacet with Terry Michael's updated and improved sawtooth engine. This design is technically superior to the VCOs used in the Moogs and all other copies of Terry's older design.

Unfortunately, John apparently did not realize that Terry is the originator of the "classic sawtooth engine" and the other VCOs he studied were copies of Terry's "first" design.

LUCKILY, in spite of the confusion, John Blacet kept the important parts of Terry's new design and they appear in the Blacet VCO!

To summarize:

The Blacet VCO is the only commercial version of Terry Michaels "improved sawtooth engine" (remember the old inferior version sold something like 50,000 copies).

The Blacet VCO is the ONLY version of the "sawtooth engine" officially licensed from the originator of the design.

Best Regards,

Grant Richter
Wiard Synthesizer

http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/lookit.cgi?-v0403.219
fluxmonkey
that VCO is absolutely golden, cannot say enough good things about it.
Sanobar_09
nice
pugix
The Blacet VCO is the only module I really regret selling. I built one in 5U about ten years ago now. The PC board came stuffed. I brought out the +/- octave switch, very useful. The wave shaper sounded great. I stupidly thought I was building 'too many' VCOs. All I needed was more cabinets!
pulse_divider
Blacet VCO is probably my favorite VCO ever.
Really excellent!
rezzn8r
lol
this thread needs a new title
It's turned into a real 2100 love-fest in here love love love
I am also a big fan of the Blacet VCO. It's rock solid with a great feature set. we're not worthy
e-grad
Guinness ftw!

Yep! Furthermore it excels in FM!

w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1