MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

.Com QMPSA
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author .Com QMPSA
haricots
So how does this adapter supply the additional +5v needed for some .com modules?
I'm fantasizing about adding a row of .com and was wondering if this adapter or the harness or dedicated power supply (QPS2) is the way to go. Any suggestions?
SynthBaron
It's just a +5v regulator. Which sort of defeats the whole "put it on a seperate power supply so that there's no digital interference on the +-15v rails" concept.

I'd go with the separate power supply.

However, check the module specs. You don't even need the +5v rail on most.
bwhittington
The voltage from your MOTM or Modcan psu is regulated for a +5v output. I believe the QMPSA is intended to power a single module, so depending on how many Dotcom modules you are talking about (is a row 8, 16, 22?), it might be more cost-effective to go with the QPS2 or for a lot of modules to replace your current psu with a +15/-15/+5v one to send the voltages you need to each brand of module. I recently got my first Modcan/MOTM stuff, and powering it from the Dotcom psu was simple. Going the other way is slightly more complicated.

What Dotcom modules are you interested in? Not all require +5v.

Cheers,
Brian
zerosum
I have a Q106 powered by a QMPSA/Blacet PS500.
It worked fine without the QMPSA too when I just used a blacet to dotcom power cable.

I think that the dotcom oscillators and sequencers are the only dotcom modules that use +5.

What dotcom modules are you wanting?
CZ Rider
haricots wrote:
So how does this adapter supply the additional +5v needed for some .com modules?
I'm fantasizing about adding a row of .com and was wondering if this adapter or the harness or dedicated power supply (QPS2) is the way to go. Any suggestions?

The QPMS is just a small circuit board with a 7805 regulator, to add the +5 volts needed on some modules. The dot com site lists the power requirements for each module on their description page.

Depends on your application if this is the way to go. I found the MOTM/Blacet power connectors easy to make, and there are several options with power distribution boards. For just adding a few dot com modules, this is a great option. The QPMSA is a little odd to mount though, and I never read an official way to do it. They just kind of hang off the modules power connector? Although there are holes in the PCB for mounting, the lead is so short there is not any place I found to secure these properly. So I covered the backs of mine with electric tape, so it could not accidently short against anything metal inside.

Here is a photo with 5 QPMSA's mounted in a cabinet that was originally all MOTM, so there was a large MOTM-960 distro board inside. The 5 dot coms are 2-Q960's, 2-Q962's, and a Q128.
haricots
bwhittington wrote:

What Dotcom modules are you interested in? Not all require +5v.

Mostly the sequencing and triggering modules which I think need the +5v.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1