MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New dotcom Module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New dotcom Module?
Dragonslair
Rodger just dropped a bomb on the dotcom website, he is going to announce a new module in the next week or so, most of the guys think it is a quantizer , but I guess we'll find out next week MY ASS IS BLEEDING
JohnLRice
Dragonslair wrote:
Rodger just dropped a bomb on the dotcom website, he is going to announce a new module in the next week or so, most of the guys think it is a quantizer , but I guess we'll find out next week MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Cool, I couldn't find it on the site though. hmmm..... I bet it's the quantizer too!
werock
It could be the DIY Breadboard module... applause
THM
My pants off if it isn't a quantizer...

Erm... Well... This is fun! Don't take this litterally...
sduck
THM wrote:

Don't be too concerned. On the internet no one know if you're a dog.
Dragonslair
Sorry guys, it was on the dotcom Yahoo group.
drewtoothpaste
Post again here when you find out! I'm not a big fan of the Yahoo Groups thing.
Dragonslair
drewtoothpaste wrote:
Post again here when you find out! I'm not a big fan of the Yahoo Groups thing.

Neither am I, I have not been there very often lately, I was just bored the other night seriously, i just don't get it but I'll keep an eye on it for the next week or so.
SynthBaron
I thought there was gonna be a VCADSR 8 years ago. I'm still waiting.
3vcos
Good bet its a quantizer but I wouldn't rule out some sort of modulator (lfo/ar combo hinted at a while ago).
THM
sduck wrote:
THM wrote:

Don't be too concerned. On the internet no one know if you're a dog.

Woof !! Hobbes
Tronman
3vcos wrote:
Good bet its a quantizer but I wouldn't rule out some sort of modulator (lfo/ar combo hinted at a while ago).

I doubt if it will be an LFO. I expressed an interest in one to Roger not long ago and he said it was not in the plans. Wish it was, though.
bwhittington
Tronman wrote:
I doubt if it will be an LFO. I expressed an interest in one to Roger not long ago and he said it was not in the plans. Wish it was, though.

I'm pretty much over that one. The Q106 is an awesome LFO and is cheaper and has as many or more features than any dedicated 5U LFO. The one remaining gripe is size, but the single-width LFO's make major sacrifices in features--fewer waveforms, no VC, etc. Once I learned how to patch slower cycles, I drank the Kool-Aid on that one.

Cheers,
Brian
doctorvague
bwhittington wrote:
The Q106 is an awesome LFO and is cheaper and has as many or more features than any dedicated 5U LFO. The one remaining gripe is size, but the single-width LFO's make major sacrifices in features--fewer waveforms, no VC, etc. Once I learned how to patch slower cycles, I drank the Kool-Aid on that one.

Cheers,
Brian

I agree!
3vcos
I don't think there is a chance of a dedicated lfo either but as I stated I think there is a good chance of the lfo/eg talked about on his site...

Universal Modulator
An interesting combination of LFO, EG, VCA, Mixer. Makes it easy to create complex envelopes containing decaying/growing LFO signals, along with control from external velocity signals Easily and intuitively creates vibrato and tremelo for VCAs and VCOs. The LFO and EG sections can be used separately if desired.
parasitk
3vcos wrote:
I don't think there is a chance of a dedicated lfo either but as I stated I think there is a good chance of the lfo/eg talked about on his site...

Universal Modulator
An interesting combination of LFO, EG, VCA, Mixer. Makes it easy to create complex envelopes containing decaying/growing LFO signals, along with control from external velocity signals Easily and intuitively creates vibrato and tremelo for VCAs and VCOs. The LFO and EG sections can be used separately if desired.

That sounds like a cool little utility module. I dig it! thumbs up
emdot_ambient
bwhittington wrote:
...The Q106 is an awesome LFO and is cheaper and has as many or more features than any dedicated 5U LFO. The one remaining gripe is size...Once I learned how to patch slower cycles, I drank the Kool-Aid on that one.

Is it possible to re-panel a 106 to, say, a MOTM sized panel?

And patching them for slower cycles, is that as simple as feeding a negative voltage to the linear FM input?

Seems like a clever DIY guru could re-panel a 106 and build in that slower cycle thing to transform a 106 into a more or less dedicated VCLFO on a somewhat smaller panel. hmmm.....
krelnarb
Roger's fantastic modular module construction would make that pretty easy.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q106crsdata.pdf
zerosum
3vcos wrote:

Universal Modulator

God, I hope so.... hmmm..... That's needed.
bwhittington
emdot_ambient wrote:

Is it possible to re-panel a 106 to, say, a MOTM sized panel?

Yes, particularly if you were mounting the PCB perpendicular to the MOTM panel. Not sure if the PCB is too wide to be mounted parallel or not.

emdot_ambient wrote:

And patching them for slower cycles, is that as simple as feeding a negative voltage to the linear FM input?

Yes! This simple concept was totally news to me when I learned it a few weeks ago.

emdot_ambient wrote:

Seems like a clever DIY guru could re-panel a 106 and build in that slower cycle thing to transform a 106 into a more or less dedicated VCLFO on a somewhat smaller panel

Certainly. You could drop the 1v/oct jacks and the range switch and have nine jacks, five pots, and an LED to fit onto a 1U panel. Using .5" knobs and aligning everything in two columns of eight jacks/pots, you might even have room for a small range switch to take the LFO into ultra-low territory.

Or if you want to save a lot of space, you might be able to fit two Doepfer A-147 VC LFO's behind a single panel width if you lose a few of it's extra LED's.

Neither are projects I'm aching to undertake, but it definitely could be done.

Cheers,
Brian
kindredlost
I'm no engineer, but most of the panel size (real estate) issues with DotCom modules is due to the design philosophy. Using a separate board for all circuitry, and then individual jacks, switches and pots wired to the board is a space-consuming way of doing it.

A good or bad idea? That is according to what you want. The typical Doepfer euro-rack style design mostly uses hardware soldered to the board and is very space efficient. The tradeoff is that if hardware breaks or wears out (inevitable) then you are either micro-soldering a repair or throwing the entire thing out. With the Arrick design, you can actually just send the tiny board in a bubble pack to Roger and he can troubleshoot it. If a hardware item goes bad they are for sale individually and cheap. A quick and easy maintenance idea.

I like big knobs and switches and 1/4" TR plugs. The room for getting my fingers in to make a manual adjustment is easier for me. The difference between spaghetti and angel-hair pasta. hihi

Besides, I like a wall-full-of modular. If I could use DotCom modules for wallpaper I would. SlayerBadger!

-David
kindredlost
I have no real idea what module will be released but it does stand a good chance of being the quantitiser. The hint was "It's for a product that is asked for regularly."

For a short list of "considered" modules, go to

http://www.synthesizers.com/future.html

-David
bwhittington
kindredlost wrote:
I have no real idea what module will be released but it does stand a good chance of being the quantitiser. The hint was "It's for a product that is asked for regularly."

I think Morbius flat-out said it was a quantizer a few weeks ago.

Cheers,
Brian
Dragonslair
Yup, that's what it is.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q171.html
bwhittington
Can someone post the pic and info? I'm getting error messages from the Dotcom site.

Cheers,
Brian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3