MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bugbrand microCrusher or WMD Geiger Counter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Bugbrand microCrusher or WMD Geiger Counter
diasporos
Given this choice, and a comparable price, which pedal would you guys prefer for bit crushing/sample reduction duty? I've watched many vids but none does the crusher justice enough to convince me to buy it over the Geiger Counter. Is the crusher mind blowing in real life?
diasporos
I came across two weevils and i'm in love. Is the microCrusher just as special?
numan7
the BugBrand! micro-crusher is actually an analog audio-rate s/h device and sounds quite a bit different than a digital bit-reduction effect (i would say it sounds a little softer and as if it preserves more of the harmonic content of the original signal - but i haven't used bit-reduction effects very much, so that's just my opinion).

cheers
diasporos
Thanks for the reply. I see. So if you want a more extreme trashy sound sampled down thing then it isn't the right machine.
BugBrand
Yes, Crusher is quite a confusing name as the class of effects is NOT BitCrushing! It is sample rate reduction, achieved in a purely analogue fashion (the pure resolution of analogue is good here, I think).

The uCrusher does this simply and effectively.

I haven't tried WMD bits - they look interesting, for sure. But surely the Geigers are all more $$$ than the uCrusher? Somewhat moot point anyways 'cos I think there are only 2 uCrushers left in Bristol and then the design is going to sleep.
SPIKE the Percussionist
I have both.
And I use them both quite often.
Very different sounding.

The Geiger is WAY more severe and aggressive.
So it can tend to be used for a drastic effect.
Not really designed to be subtle.
diasporos
BugBrand wrote:
Yes, Crusher is quite a confusing name as the class of effects is NOT BitCrushing! It is sample rate reduction, achieved in a purely analogue fashion (the pure resolution of analogue is good here, I think).

The uCrusher does this simply and effectively.

I haven't tried WMD bits - they look interesting, for sure. But surely the Geigers are all more $$$ than the uCrusher? Somewhat moot point anyways 'cos I think there are only 2 uCrushers left in Bristol and then the design is going to sleep.

From the maker's mouth we're not worthy I see now that the Crusher name probably refers to crushing the bug, not the bits! There's one on ebay now going for $200, it's tempting. There's also a 'cyber monday' deal on the geiger counter from a dealer for a little more than that, hence the dilemma. Not a dilemma anymore as I know now they don't serve the same god.
diasporos
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
I have both.
And I use them both quite often.
Very different sounding.

The Geiger is WAY more severe and aggressive.
So it can tend to be used for a drastic effect.
Not really designed to be subtle.

Both is the way to go. I found some interesting video material last night showing the geiger and the Crusher , it seems both have a role in an experimental improv setup.
BugBrand
Ah, well.. think it works out about $180 new direct from me (inc. shipping) given current XE.com exchange.
As I say, can't remember how many actually remain - may be none, but think there's a couple - shop will be open around this time next week (Mon 9th) for one week (yeah, chaos - I've been living away from Bristol the last 6 months - moving back nearer at the start of next year)
diasporos
Aha. I'll have a look at the bugstore next week after the cobwebs are searched for live bugs. Thank you Tom.
pas
I love the bugcrusher pedal, had one awhile back & just settled on the module version, it is smoother, but can shred well & quite different than geiger, but it's kinda totally different. A friend of mine is gaga for the frantabit from iron ether so you should look into that also, seems really nice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1