MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Two Thousand Six Hundred (TTSH) Ver.1 General build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 115, 116, 117  Next [all]
Author Two Thousand Six Hundred (TTSH) Ver.1 General build thread
gddfp
decaying.sine wrote:
gddfp wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:
Did anyone get a glimpse of the TDA2030 footprint on the PCB? I Thought I saw a pic with heat sinks, but now I can't find it.

The first pic had the 2030's and heat sinks mounted horizontally, with the sinks protruding from the edges of the board. Later pics (proto 2) showed them with a vertical footprint, where the back of the sink (probably) aligns with the PCB edge.

Just a regular 5-pin footprint (two rows of 3 pins and 2 pins offset).

Thanks gddfp. That is just the type of description I wanted.

This, of course, is information I gathered from looking at the pics published so far... No real board in front of me [duh], so your- and my mileage may vary. eek!
decaying.sine
gddfp wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:
gddfp wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:
Did anyone get a glimpse of the TDA2030 footprint on the PCB? I Thought I saw a pic with heat sinks, but now I can't find it.

The first pic had the 2030's and heat sinks mounted horizontally, with the sinks protruding from the edges of the board. Later pics (proto 2) showed them with a vertical footprint, where the back of the sink (probably) aligns with the PCB edge.

Just a regular 5-pin footprint (two rows of 3 pins and 2 pins offset).

Thanks gddfp. That is just the type of description I wanted.

This, of course, is information I gathered from looking at the pics published so far... No real board in front of me [duh], so your- and my mileage may vary. eek!

As in all things internet. I take it as gospel hihi
flts
plord wrote:
Some excerpts from the gigantor thread that may be useful. I TOTALLY NEGLECTED TO SAVE THE ATTRIBUTIONS FOR THESE ANSWERS BUT ALL CREDIT GOES TO OTHER WIGGLERS, AND I, SPECIFICALLY, SUCK.

Thanks! I shortened and added the information to the first post, still haven't managed to go through all the old posts and gather info myself. I'll have to add a "I, SPECIFICALLY, SUCK" disclaimer to that one as well. lol
roglok
here's a hint for those (europeans?) having trouble sourcing the Peerless speakers (or not willing to shell out for a pair of speakers):

check out the 3.3" broadband range of german manufacturer Visaton

i just ordered a pair of magnetically shielded F8SC for ~€10 each. those are not high-end, but supposedly decent speakers. should be a bang for the buck type of deal. i've compared the hole arrangement - they should be drop-in replacements.
gddfp
roglok wrote:
here's a hint for those (europeans?) having trouble sourcing the Peerless speakers (or not willing to shell out for a pair of speakers):

i just ordered a pair of magnetically shielded F8SC for ~€10 each. those are not high-end, but supposedly decent speakers. should be a bang for the buck type of deal. i've compared the hole arrangement - they should be drop-in replacements.

Hey Roglok, thanks for the pointer !
On the Visaton site, the price for the F 8 SC 8ohm seems to be 13.34 € /p. Did you find them somewhere else cheaper ?

And also, where did you get the technical drawing for the TTSH, with mounting holes et all ?

cheers,
_g
roglok
gddfp wrote:

On the Visaton site, the price for the F 8 SC 8ohm seems to be 13.34 € /p. Did you find them somewhere else cheaper ?

yes, Reichelt.

Quote:

And also, where did you get the technical drawing for the TTSH, with mounting holes et all ?

http://www.tymphany.com/files/PLS-P830986%20Rev3_0.pdf
plus ye olde pythagoras hihi
flts
satindas wrote:
I noticed that aside from the obvious price difference, the PXD3024WD15 gives a max of 1A per rail whereas the AEE00CC18-L gives a max of just 0.5A. zthee, if you're checking this thread, what is the maximum current draw of the TTSH ?? i.e. do I need the 1A converter to power the intended, integral oakley midiDAC (+40mA and -30mA), ( and possibly a few other goodies razz )? Cheers!

Just updated the first post with some bits of extra info from the original thread... Looks like zthee's estimate / measurement with the final prototype was around 300mA per rail with the speakers (at a normal volume) and LED sliders installed - quite possibly more with the speakers at full blast.

Based on that, you might still be able to power a midiDAC from the 0.5 amp per rail supply but that might also be stretching it. Again, don't take this as a gospel, but it looks like there's not that much room for powering extras with the smaller DC-DC.
Monobass
Altitude909 wrote:
Seeing that all the tempcos are sold out at thonk and synthcube, I sent a RFQ to PRC in Florida (Precision Resistor Co, my go to place for these) so if anyone stateside needs some, drop me a line

whut?? they're very in stock, I have hundreds and have for months.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/tempco-resistor-krl-bantry-3500ppm-x2/
Monobass
diablojoy wrote:
mine are now all pink lol

I was looking for some pink 3x2x4 recently... where did you get them?
flts
Monobass wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
Seeing that all the tempcos are sold out at thonk and synthcube, I sent a RFQ to PRC in Florida (Precision Resistor Co, my go to place for these) so if anyone stateside needs some, drop me a line

FWIW, I just tried adding 4 of those to cart and it says "value must be less than or equal to 3 (qty)" which kind of hints there's either some kind of ordering restriction or the web store thinks there are only 3 pieces left in stock.
Monobass
oops, my bug, fixed thumbs up
reggiechacha
satindas wrote:
Ok I'll go first meh

I noticed that aside from the obvious price difference, the PXD3024WD15 gives a max of 1A per rail whereas the AEE00CC18-L gives a max of just 0.5A. zthee, if you're checking this thread, what is the maximum current draw of the TTSH ?? i.e. do I need the 1A converter to power the intended, integral oakley midiDAC (+40mA and -30mA), ( and possibly a few other goodies razz )? Cheers!

I was wondering about this also. I found this DC-DC converter which gives 1A and is cheaper than the one in the BOM.
http://uk.farnell.com/xp-power/jtl3024d15/converter-dc-dc-30w-15v/dp/1 738272
Looks to be like for like but not sure if the pin placement is standard.
satindas
reggiechacha wrote:
satindas wrote:
Ok I'll go first meh

I was wondering about this also. I found this DC-DC converter which gives 1A and is cheaper than the one in the BOM.
http://uk.farnell.com/xp-power/jtl3024d15/converter-dc-dc-30w-15v/dp/1 738272
Looks to be like for like but not sure if the pin placement is standard.

Quick check of the datasheet and it looks like a drop in replacement nanners
Nice one reggiechacha thumbs up
Altitude909
flts wrote:
Monobass wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:

FWIW, I just tried adding 4 of those to cart and it says "value must be less than or equal to 3 (qty)" which kind of hints there's either some kind of ordering restriction or the web store thinks there are only 3 pieces left in stock.

That changed today, yesterday when I tried to order 4, it said it had 3 in stock only..
satindas
roglok wrote:

Thanks for this! Although it's got me scratching my head now. It looks like there's some major differences in the performance of the two types and I'm wondering if I really want to compromise the sound by using these cheaper drivers. The Visatons only go down to 80 Hz whereas the Peerless' do 50 HZ. At the upper end the Visatons do 15kHz whereas the Peerless' do 20k... also the Visatons resonate at 103Hz ( not great if you're into tight bass) whereas the Peerless' resonate down at 83 Hz . If you're mainly gonna be running the TTSH through some decent monitors then the low spec of the Visatons might not be an issue. Nice potential saving though hmmm.....
flts
Altitude909 wrote:
That changed today, yesterday when I tried to order 4, it said it had 3 in stock only..

Yeah, like Monobass says a few posts up, he fixed the issue after I mentioned about it aloud Guinness ftw! Most probably ordering tempcos + jacks tomorrow the same time as I pay for the panel + PCB kit.
tojpeters
What is the consensus on the matched tranny pairs? I see the mouser list has around 25 each of 3904 and 3906, but don't most of those need to be matched pairs?
I'm bringing this up to point out that the numbers on the list are correct(?) but the number you need to buy to get your matched pairs will be higher. The price break is at 100 on those,only a couple more bucks will get you 4 times the amount of trans. If you are matching your own you will need the 100. 50 would probably do it but that costs more than 100.
StillNotWorking
gddfp wrote:
In the BOM, the SMD caps (6x) are listed as 100nF, but the Mouser # [77-VJ0805Y103JXXPBC] is for 10nF caps...

Is the value correct (100n), or the Mouser # ?

If my memory serves me right you want the 100nF.
77-VJ0805Y104JXXPBC
StillNotWorking
2N5459 seems to be rather rare and pricey these days. From the datasheet I found that the MMBF5457 in SOT-23 package are available at Mouser 512-MMBF5457.

But are these transistors important for the function of the VCO or can we use other FET's like MPF102 or J201?
gddfp
StillNotWorking wrote:
gddfp wrote:
In the BOM, the SMD caps (6x) are listed as 100nF, but the Mouser # [77-VJ0805Y103JXXPBC] is for 10nF caps...

Is the value correct (100n), or the Mouser # ?

If my memory serves me right you want the 100nF.
77-VJ0805Y104JXXPBC

Yea, that's what I reckoned...
Plenty of 100n's in my bin here, though only in 1206 package. 805 is just a wee bit too small to handle for my old & weary body.

"If my memory serves me right"... were you a beta builder ?
gddfp
StillNotWorking wrote:
2N5459 seems to be rather rare and pricey these days. From the datasheet I found that the MMBF5457 in SOT-23 package are available at Mouser 512-MMBF5457.

But are these transistors important for the function of the VCO or can we use other FET's like MPF102 or J201?

I've read -- if I recall well, somewhere in a synth repair related message -- that the BF245 is a good substitute. Has a reverse pinout though.
diablojoy
monobass wrote
Quote:
I was looking for some pink 3x2x4 recently... where did you get them?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/hklwh123

I got pink leds from this guy, but i think i cleaned him out.
the pink and purple are probably my all time favourite led colours bit more stand out then red and not eye strainingly annoying like blue leds,
I would certainly buy some more if i find any I am using lots of sliders at the present besides the TTSH

edit oh ok here you go another one..http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Pink-Water-Clear-LED-Lamp- With-12V-Free-Resistors-234P-td-/390631308376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item5af370bc58&forcev4exp=true
flts
tojpeters wrote:
What is the consensus on the matched tranny pairs? I see the mouser list has around 25 each of 3904 and 3906, but don't most of those need to be matched pairs?

I just bought 100 of each just to be safe and probably have some in shelf already... They're going to be useful anyway and 100 of each costs pennies.
LED-man
Have tested 2n3958 from a german china part dealer..
Pinout is wrong have DSG , datasheet says SDG
Further testing needed.
Peake
From another thread:

ASSuming the oscillators are using the same parts as the original (apologies to zthee if I'm going off again without knowing):

CA3046 are $0.49 at Goldmine in the US.

PN5910 are $1.48 each in low quantities (35,000 in stock) at Wellgain.

2N4392 are at Mouser for $2.42 (zwei feir zwei) each. 3,251 in stock.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 115, 116, 117  Next [all]
Page 2 of 117