MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Two Thousand Six Hundred (TTSH) Ver.1 General build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 115, 116, 117  Next [all]
Author Two Thousand Six Hundred (TTSH) Ver.1 General build thread
decaying.sine
diablojoy wrote:
monobass wrote
Quote:
I was looking for some pink 3x2x4 recently... where did you get them?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/hklwh123

I got pink leds from this guy, but i think i cleaned him out.
the pink and purple are probably my all time favourite led colours bit more stand out then red and not eye strainingly annoying like blue leds,
I would certainly buy some more if i find any I am using lots of sliders at the present besides the TTSH

edit oh ok here you go another one..http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Pink-Water-Clear-LED-Lamp- With-12V-Free-Resistors-234P-td-/390631308376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item5af370bc58&forcev4exp=true

Do you have a link to the purple? I don't see them in his list.
delayed
Is there any reason not to power this with a MFOS type board? They put out 1A, +- voltage, and a wallwart can be used.
Altitude909
delayed wrote:
Is there any reason not to power this with a MFOS type board? They put out 1A, +- voltage, and a wallwart can be used.

That's my plan. I can get gold plated smoothing caps for half as much as that DC-DC converter costs. 8 parts costing maybe $4 would have worked just as well with an AC source as some $105 fancy DC thingamadodle
decaying.sine
You can stick a power-one/condor in there and it would do the trick. The BD* on the BOM give +/-5VDC.

Seems like there are lots of nice options with the setup.

1) power-one/condor HBB-15-1.5-A
2) DC-DC Bricks
3) MFOS or even J3RKS PSU board with a nice toroidal transformer.
diablojoy
decaying.sine wrote
Quote:
Do you have a link to the purple? I don't see them in his list.

alas sorry haven't found any purple in the correct rectangular size as yet.
(monobass was looking for pink) if i ever find some i will post a link.
flts
Peake wrote:
CA3046 are $0.49 at Goldmine in the US.

Since it looks Goldmine won't ship to Europe... I'm sure there are multiple sources inside EU but Musikding stocks them for 2.50eur a piece which I think is reasonable already: http://www.musikding.de/CA3046_1

I bought mine from a trusted eBay seller for about the same price (but that included shipping) but if you're ordering PCB headers, possibly the reverb tank etc. miscellaneous parts from Musikding, you might as well get the CA3046 from there, they're a nice company.

Quote:
PN5910 are $1.48 each in low quantities (35,000 in stock) at Wellgain.

I suppose these are substituted to something else in BOM... Not found there at least.

Quote:
2N4392 are at Mouser for $2.42 (zwei feir zwei) each. 3,251 in stock.

Yeah, included in the zthee's Mouser cart as well.
flts
decaying.sine wrote:
Seems like there are lots of nice options with the setup.

1) power-one/condor HBB-15-1.5-A
2) DC-DC Bricks
3) MFOS or even J3RKS PSU board with a nice toroidal transformer.

Yeah, I actually thought I might just get an used Power One and be done with it. I have one or two of the classic LM317/LM337 PSU boards around as well so just buying a good toroidal transformer to go with it would be a sensible option, I guess. I just like the idea of enclosed PSUs such as the Power One / Condor.

I would think the 0.8A per rail linear Power Ones (HAA15-0.8-A etc.) would work as well since the officially specced switching DC-DC is 0.5A per rail. Those are easy to found used as well.
satindas
Busy ordering stuff and mostly succeeding but having a problem understanding exactly what headers and housings are required. The BOM is very unclear and the Mouser/Musikding quantities dont seem to match up. seriously, i just don't get it
Anyone got any info please.
roglok
satindas wrote:
Busy ordering stuff and mostly succeeding but having a problem understanding exactly what headers and housings are required. The BOM is very unclear and the Mouser/Musikding quantities dont seem to match up. seriously, i just don't get it
Anyone got any info please.

all headers (except DC power inlet, which is 0.156") are 0.1" spacing. I think you can choose the brand/make of your liking.

crimping those connectors yourself rather than buying premade cables is the way to go. i bought a ton of the 0.1" headers from ebay seller grandsky a while ago (as spotted by a fellow wiggler)...

with the bigger MTA headers I made a mistake myself, ordering only the receptacles without housings nor pins. so if anyone has a couple of pins and a housing to spare.. we're not worthy
satindas
roglok wrote:

all headers (except DC power inlet, which is 0.156") are 0.1" spacing. I think you can choose the brand/make of your liking.

crimping those connectors yourself rather than buying premade cables is the way to go. i bought a ton of the 0.1" headers from ebay seller grandsky a while ago (as spotted by a fellow wiggler)...

with the bigger MTA headers I made a mistake myself, ordering only the receptacles without housings nor pins. so if anyone has a couple of pins and a housing to spare.. we're not worthy

Thanks roglok I have an MTA tool and yeah that's definitely the way to go but what I'm saying is that in the BOM (very first item for example) the quantity is stated as 9, but then says 7x musikding. Same thing for item 2. Also for items 4 and 5, what does (For 3 x 1x3 below as well) mean? not even the same no of pins! Probably just me but I think this all needs clarification.
roglok
satindas wrote:
roglok wrote:

Thanks roglok I have an MTA tool and yeah that's definitely the way to go but what I'm saying is that in the BOM (very first item for example) the quantity is stated as 9, but then says 7x musikding. Same thing for item 2. Also for items 4 and 5, what does (For 3 x 1x3 below as well) mean? not even the same no of pins! Probably just me but I think this all needs clarification.

OK, i see. that's indeed confusing. i think only zthee can clarify...
satindas
Can anyone tell me if the MLCC caps can be replaced with Poly film. I've got loads of the correct values but not in MLCC. Also, the 20n and 22n caps in zthees BOM (with the same part number!) don't seem to be in the Mouser BOM.???
Cheers.
fracinfrucer
roglok wrote:
satindas wrote:
roglok wrote:

OK, i see. that's indeed confusing. i think only zthee can clarify...

For the second line on the BOM where it calls for 24 and then lists 13 from musikding, I noticed that there are already 24 3-pin MTAs in the mouser project list, so if you used the mouser cart, you may want to make sure you didn't already order these too.
gddfp
satindas wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the MLCC caps can be replaced with Poly film. I've got loads of the correct values but not in MLCC. Also, the 20n and 22n caps in zthees BOM (with the same part number!) don't seem to be in the Mouser BOM.???
Cheers.

Film caps are mostly a step-up, so to speak, from ceramics, and these ceramics only serve decoupling or stabilising duties, so... yes. It's overkill, but it won't hurt.

20n caps are less common and harder to find, though they were used often in vintage designs. Use 22n caps where it says 20n. The same for 50p/n: use 47p/n instead.
elmegil
gddfp wrote:

20n caps are less common and harder to find, though they were used often in vintage designs. Use 22n caps where it says 20n. The same for 50p/n: use 47p/n instead.

I'm pretty sure that's what the Mouser BOM does.... Rounds a few of those in different directions.
Nordcore
Regarding the connectors (taken from the schematics - so *expect* some errors or faulty guesses):

there are 12 three pin power supply "outs" at the supply side and 11 sub-circuit power ins.
What is needed as "pluggable" is on your decision. (one side, both sides ... )
Both sides are on the large main board, they are just wires to help debugging and partial test.

One additional three pin connector is for the spring tank. The line back from the tank to recovery amp input *must* be shielded.

There are 11 two pin connectors:
CV, Gate, Trigger, together with #12 power-out these might go to the "keyboard" connector.
Left and right amp insert, I guess a jumper here will fit most needs.
Left and Right speaker output.
Amp Power supply in. Might be taken from different locations.
Two Power supply input distribution(? this might supply the power amp.
One power in. (Most probably this might be the .156 one... )

Additionally you need the board to board connectors for the VCO-modules. These are 6 two-pin and 3 three-pin connectors needed. See construction instruction. (Reichelt has some longer pin headers which would do the job nicely. https://secure.reichelt.de/Stiftleisten/STAPELLEISTE-20/3//index.html? ACTION=3&GROUPID=3220&ARTICLE=19453 you can break them easily to required pin count and you can move the plastic strips to fit the required height. )
flts
elmegil wrote:
gddfp wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's what the Mouser BOM does.... Rounds a few of those in different directions.

also - this may be obvious, but those caps most probably have +-5% or +-10% tolerance anyway, so a 22nF cap may as well measure close to 20nF.
filterstein
5 or 10% tolerance would be good for caps today.
Except for the polystyrene caps you can be sure they had at least 20% tolerance in the past.
roglok
filterstein wrote:
5 or 10% tolerance would be good for caps today.
Except for the polystyrene caps you can be sure they had at least 20% tolerance in the past.

all standard caps in the 2600 were 20% (unless otherwise noted)...
delayed
anyone buy any 2N3958 yet? if so where are you getting them from other than UTSource and eBay?
flts
delayed wrote:
anyone buy any 2N3958 yet? if so where are you getting them from other than UTSource and eBay?

I just decided to pony up and buy from a trusted seller for an inflated price. TBH I'm still a bit scared of UTSource. If anyone knows of a reliable source for those that isn't like $5-10 a piece, I'd gladly stock up a few more.
rekem1000
I've gone through quite a few 2n3958's repairing ARP s/h circuits over the years, the gold pin Vishay manufactured ones are the ones to get, silver pin NS/MOT manufactured ones have been no good for me.
satindas
2 builds worth of 2N3954's and 2N3958's ordered from littlediode on 04/12. Estimated delivery 05/12...... still not arrived ! You could say I'm slightly pissed! Never maintain cash savings again very frustrating
roglok
another thing i noticed -

the schematics in the original service manual show a 2N3954 in the sine waveshaper but the BOM lists a 2N3958. makes me think that there's a chance these could be used interchangeably...
StillNotWorking
roglok wrote:
another thing i noticed -

the schematics in the original service manual show a 2N3954 in the sine waveshaper but the BOM lists a 2N3958. makes me think that there's a chance these could be used interchangeably...

From Vishay 2N3958 datasheet
"The low cost 2N3958 JFET dual is designed for high-performance differential amplification for a wide range of precision test instrumentation applications"
http://www.vishay.com/docs/70256/70256.pdf

"For similar products see
2N5196/5197/5198/5199,
the low-noise U/SST401 series,
the high-gain 2N5911/5912,
and the low-leakage U421/423 data sheets."

For S/H I guess the low-leakage series might be of interest.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 115, 116, 117  Next [all]
Page 3 of 117